When I'm trying to open an MXML-file it now gives the following error:
Could not open the editor: An unexpected exception was thrown.
In the details it shows:
Unable to create editor ID com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.mxml.MXMLEditor: An unexpected exception was thrown.
1 person found this helpful
Firstly, I hope you understand the concept of beta, which basically means what ever it is you are doing in a beta product that is stressing you out, is a self inflicted problem.
With that said I don't see why you can not move across to beta2 surely anything that can break is modifiable in order for it to work with beta2, I have moved some rather complex code across with minor drama's. Then again I decided to ignore the rules about development in beta products, but I had enough sense to update the SDK on a regular basis which meant the project only had to be unbroken a little at a time, but I also know that this project is not viable until it is tested with the 'stable' sdk that isdistributed with the final version of flashbuilder.
It is insanity to continue in a dead beta, stressing "NOW" is also a little agressive. Your urgency suggests that you are using a beta product for release purposes, if this is the case my suggestions can't be published (I get extremely irritated by those that put at risk public beta programmes).
So I suggest you either fix it in beta 2 or go back to a production environment. No one else is responsible for your predicament.
Message was edited by: David_F57 - I forgot to note this forum is here to help and if you look around you will see anyone that has asked how to resolve issues between beta1 and beta2 usually get helpful answers.
You're right, David.
It is my porblem, and a lesson for me to learn.
Still, I'm not ready yet to tackle the issues that occur with my project in Beta 2. I need more time.
I'm new to Flex/Flash builder... so I'm still learning, and right now I'm not able fix the items that occur in Flash Builder Beta 2.
To give a hint:
I started using Ely's Flipbook component. It was already a huge effort from my side to make it work with Flash Builder, but I managed.
Now whole new issues emerge with Beta 2, which are quite unique.
If you want to have a hint of things that can get broken, check it out on: http://www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/components/flexbook/
Non the less, It's frustrating that my Flash Builder Beta 1 just quits on me without warning, just with a message that "License is expired".
Isn't that a bit too drastic?
At least implement a count-down or something!
I bought Flex 3 JUST to be able to make a head-start with Flash Builder 4.
I hope you understand...
And I hope there's a solution to "unbreak" Flash builder 4 Beta 1...
You should still move to beta 2 any problems you have you then ask for help here. Usually responses are very quick, I use a flip book that has happily gone from beta1 and beta2 with little to no problems and this component (ruebenswieringa flipbook) was heavily modified in fb3. It is also much more complex than the elyfield flipbook so I think maybe your problems aren't as bad as they may appear to be.
Well, that's what I'm doing...
And I've found Ruben's Flipbook to work excellent with Flash Builder Beta 2, just some minor namespacing issues...
But still a huge modification to replace it in the project I was working on.
And, as Murphy's Law dictates, I had to make an update to show for today, en RIGHT this morning, out of the blue, Flash builder refuses to work in any way.
So, I'm still hoping for a solution that ~temporary!~ allows me to use Beta 1
You could try going back to an older sdk, it will still work but the ide will have some problems with code hinting and design view, at least you can compile your application.
A little notice would have been nice before the Beta simply died.
We had plans to move to Beta 2, put were putting them off for another week or two, while we evaluated the impact (and wrapped up a development iteration).
Adobe, please add in a little notice next time!
I think the notice was pretty obvious "30 days from installation" then the option to use an extension key (good for at least another 30 days). Then the practical notification the release of a new beta, 2 weeks ago. We are developers were supposed to be smarter than 5th graders.
Yes, the 30 days is obvious. But the extension then muddies the waters. Obviously it's bound to expire. A little notice would have been greatly appreciated.
I am in the same situation here.
I am working on a major project and the update to Flash Builder Beta 2 totally broke my efforts - not just in one place but many places.
Instead of spending the great amount of time and energy it would take just to explain the very odd and troubling issues I've encountered (total malfunction of DragEvents, blocking of mouse events on the stage to the right and under Beta 2 content when that content is loaded into a SWFLoader).
So I have decided to stick with the Beta 1 release for awhile. I am having no problems getting both Beta 1 and Beta 2 running alongside each other.
However, one of my development partners has removed Beta 1 and we are trying to get it back for him to install. Does anyone have the original license code for it? I was able to find the download.
As far as the comment about it being insanity to continue working with an outdated Beta release, I agree to a point, but in this case, the depth to which stuff has broken for me here is dramatic, disturbing, and extensive.
I am going to post a number of complex issues here I have found in the Beta 2 Release later today.
I hope you are right that there is swift and effective feedback in overcoming these issues.
I realise that it is very tempting to want to work with all the new toys that adobe provide us but considering how many issues were appearing very early in the beta 1 it was obvious a great deal of caution needed to be applied when dealing with it. I think that there is quite a way to go before a release build and the best way to avoid massive breaks in the code is to continually update the sdk even if it means dealing with a less than healthy ide becuase of the changes that will occur in the SDK. To really make it easy use svn to do regular updates that way any project can be pointed to 1 location which will remain constant and its just a matter of doing regular sdk updates and rebuilds which is much faster the downloading 100mb plus nightly builds. Plus the updates have the change logs which will at least let you know what the next round of code breaking changes are about to be brought upon you.
Thats all fine, except that Flash Builder Beta 2 has a bug which prevents us configuring new / additional SDKs other than the two supplied in the distribution. So, yeah, I can sympathize with the original poster.
Is that a mac thing ? i chop and change between sdks without any issues.
You're probably not trying to use 22.214.171.12419, which is the version I need that doesn't have an incompatible ComboBase.as. On a whim I tried to use a recent nightly build, and Flash Builder Beta 2 was able to use it without failing. But it seems any of the early 4.0.0. versions cant be used.