2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 12:11 PM by tunghoy

Clip Notes in CS4: questions about streaming

tunghoy Level 1

I've used Clip Notes before with small, embedded files, but this is my first time with a large video that I want to stream on a server. Maybe someone can answer a few questions:

1. Where do I name the movie file? The export dialog only has a place to name the PDF.
      2. How does the URL setting work? The documentation simply says "This is where your video file is located" but that puts the cart before the horse. How can I specify the name and location of a movie that hasn't been created yet and for which I have no control over the name? The FTP feature works great, but it's for upload only, not for naming.
      3. After exporting the movie and PDF, is there a way to re-generate the PDF w/o having to re-export the movie? I realized I wanted to make some changes to the PDF only (like instructions and URL), and exporting another movie will take time that isn't necessary.
      4. I learned here earlier that only the QuickTime option will provide player controls. But a big .mov requres a streaming server, which I don't have. The .wmv option has the opposite problem. Does anyone know of a workaround (or other method entirely) that will use Flash video? FLV or F4V will do progressive downloading with small file sizes for online viewing.
        • 1. Re: Clip Notes in CS4: questions about streaming
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Where do I name the movie file? The export dialog only has a place to name the PDF.

The name you assign to the PDF is also assigned to the exported movie file, regardless of whether you use QT or WMV. So, if you set the name of the PDF in the Export Settings to "clipnotes.pdf", the video will be either "clipnotes.mov" or "clipnotes.wmv", depending on the format you've chosen.

How does the URL setting work? The documentation simply says "This is where your video file is located" but that puts the cart before the horse. How can I specify the name and location of a movie that hasn't been created yet and for which I have no control over the name? The FTP feature works great, but it's for upload only, not for naming.

See above. Since you now know what the filename will be, you just have to decide where the file will reside on your server, and input this into URL field. Using our example from above, you'd use enter something like "http://www.mysite.com/upload/clipnotes.mov". It's a full URL, with the "http://" needed; just change the pertinent details.

After exporting the movie and PDF, is there a way to re-generate the PDF w/o having to re-export the movie? I realized I wanted to make some changes to the PDF only (like instructions and URL), and exporting another movie will take time that isn't necessary.

Maybe, though I haven't tested this:

1. Trash the original PDF file.
            2. Temporarily rename your originally-exported movie file, or move it to a different folder so that it's not overwritten.
            3. Set your export range to one frame, using the same settings and same name that you did for your first export, and restart the export.
            4. Throw away the new movie file, and rename the original or move it back to it's original folder. Since the only connection the PDF has to the movie file is the URL and filename, this should work.
            I learned here earlier that only the QuickTime option will provide player controls. But a big .mov requres a streaming server, which I don't have. The .wmv option has the opposite problem. Does anyone know of a workaround (or other method entirely) that will use Flash video? FLV or F4V will do progressive downloading with small file sizes for online viewing.

I don't think you need a streaming server; I've tested QuickTime off a regular ol' HTTP server and it works fine. Incidentally, I should add, QuickTime streaming WASN'T working for me previously, at all. I just tried it out, and it would seem that a recent update to Adobe Reader might have fixed the issue. Streaming WMV always worked fine. Curious.

As far as Flash: are you talking about using Flash Video in ClipNotes, or just Flash Video viewing online, in general? At this time, ClipNotes is QuickTime or WMV only, but I wouldn't be suprised if Flash Video makes an appearance in ClipNotes CS5, given the whole focus on Flash in the Adobe ecosystem. If you're talking about general FLV playback, check out the JW FLV Media Player; it's an fairly simple-to-configure Flash Video player that can be embedded into a webpage.

• 2. Re: Clip Notes in CS4: questions about streaming
                tunghoy Level 1

Thanks. I had a feeling I'd have to do a switcheroo to link to a different video file. I wasn't successful though, because I think both the .mov and .wmv it created were corrupt. The PDFs kept throwing errors about playing the file.

The good news is that I did it manually and have it working that way. I just created a new, blank PDF and inserted a video object linked to an .flv on my server -- that's what I meant by "Flash video". Below that, I inserted a multi-line text form field with instructions of what to type as the default text. The only down side (besides not looking as pretty) is that PPro won't automatically import chapter points. I'll just have to navigate manually, which isn't a big deal.