13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 2:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?

BulletInASandstorm

I downloaded the trial version of Premiere Elements 8.  It won't run and I can't even submit a request for support because (I guess) I haven't purchased the product yet.  Here we are in the support strange loop.

I have Vista 64 / Intel i7-920 / 8 Gb RAM / plenty of disk space.  I've tried running in Administrator mode and XP compatibility mode.  As soon as I've created a new project and gotten to the point where I can add a new media file -- crash.  Unexpected Error.

I would love to buy the product -- if it would work.

Any ideas or suggestions on either fixing it or getting some help from Adobe?  At this rate, there is not going to be any sale.

Thanx

• 1. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Running this program on 64-bit operating systems can be a bit iffy. Vista is usually very good about automatically kicking into 32-bit compatibility mode -- but occasionally 64-bit drivers can mess things up. But, that said:

Ensure you have all of the Windows updates. Go to Windows Update manually and get even the non-critical updates. Also ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

Finally, try launching Premiere Elements while holding down the Shift key to clear the cache.

If you're still have problems, you might want to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Although, if the program is launching okay but it crashes when you add video,  it could also be related to your video source files. What type of camcorder is this video from and how did you get it into your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>might want to uninstall and reinstall the software

You can do that with the trial version?

I always thought trial versions were time AND install limited, so someone couldn't just keep installing the trial and never convert it to paid

Guess I just learned something

• 3. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Nope. You can uninstall it and reinstall it if you want. But you still only get it for a total of 30 days.

You can't trick the program that easily!

• 4. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                zhunami Level 1

I'm having a similar issue, but it's when I select the "Edit" option it locks up, freezes and just closes.  The other difference is that I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Anyone know if and when Adobe will better support 64bit?

Zhu

• 5. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                  Kodebuster Level 3

To follow-up as stated by Steve, assuming you have the latest updates as recommended by Microsoft and for your internal hardware, and if PE is stable before you add media, the smoking gun probably surrounds the video format, what or where it came from, your Project presets, and the method it was imported into PE.

For any peace of mind, I'm running an i7Core, full blown with Vista-64, PE7, and PE is exceptionally stable and performs par excellent.

I would expect no different with PE8, on a properly maintained 64-bit system, with video sources properly formatted for an NLE (video editor)...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer some tips on setting up one's computer for an NLE session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For gathering "clues," when a program crashes, or hangs, this ARTICLE might give you some tips and places to look for details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                        BulletInASandstorm Level 1

I sincerely appreciate the help.  I tried all of the suggestions -- even installed on my other machine with Vista 32.  Different symptoms, but still doesn't work.

I just get tired of trying to troubleshoot this stuff.  Spend a bunch of money for top-of-the-line hardware (Dell Studio XPS) and Micro$oft OS and you end up having to jump through hoops to get most anything to work.

Really, really discouraging... and I do this stuff for a living...

Again, Thanx and Best Wishes to all of you.  I'm gonna uninstall the Adobe stuff and keep looking for a solution...

• 9. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                          zhunami Level 1

At first, I thought it was my drivers so I went and update all my drivers to the latest and greatest, but didn't resolve anything. After looking at my computers application log I noticed the following event.

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version: 8.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4aa5c87c

Faulting module name: nvSCPAPI.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4abff864

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x3cf75d3c

Faulting process id: 0x132c

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca4e925744b214

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Faulting module path: nvSCPAPI.dll

Turns out that the file nvSCPAPI.dll is related to my NVIDIA video card and specifically a 3D driver. After uninstalling just the 3D driver from my pc and leaving the core video drivers, I've been crash free.

Do you have a NVidia driver in your computers? Might want to check it out, if not, look in your system application log for the crash and do some google searches on it

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                            DougWeir Level 1

Hello,

I am having a similar issue in another thread and was directed here.  I have a couple of questions:

1.) I did remove the driver and it appears to have worked. Also, PE8 seems to be more responsive.

2.)  What effect does this have on games that use 3D?  Not games that use the headset, but just games that use 3D such as Call of Duty, Fallout, etc?

3.)  Has anyone heard from Adobe on this issue?  I was going to buy PE8 but makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Doug

• 11. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              2.)  What effect does this have on games that use 3D?  Not games that use the headset, but just games that use 3D such as Call of Duty, Fallout, etc?

Doug,

It seems that there are two drivers for recent nVidia cards, that are causing most of the problems:

3D Stereovision and PhysX (check spelling on this one - it will be similar). How these affect certain games will have to be tested.

Certain video configurations, such as SLI and Crossfire can enhance gaming greatly, but then cause real issues with an NLE program and not just from Adobe. Again, testing is required.

NLE work and gaming are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but there always seem to be problems, when trying to do both types of work. Back in the old days, I did some game development, so needed some of the latest gaming add-ons, drivers and even memory management. I got around these problems with separate boot disks for each application. In the end, I just built two different machines: one for the game development and one one for my image processing. This was before desktop NLE's, so I was not yet concerned with video, except with regards to the games that I was building. Still, this eliminated the need for separate boot disks, re-booting, and allowed me to have the best of the two worlds.

Now, with modern OS's, it's easier to just do dual, or triple-boot systems on separate system drive partitions, or to use hot-swappable C:\ drives. One just has a different Startup for each and only the applicable programs on each partition, or HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                                zhunami Level 1

Because the driver is for 3D games with 3D glasses like you saw on the link, it would have no effect on games you mentioned unless there was a "3D" version of it where you had to wear 3D glasses. The games you mentioned are not in "3D"

Hopefully Adobe will see this thread and do something about it. Because we are still on the trial version, support will not want to talk to us until we pay up.

• 13. Re: Version 8 / Vista 64 / Trial Version / Can anyone help?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Hopefully Adobe will see this thread and do something about it.

This is the way to get Adobe's attention - the Bug Report. Be sure to furnish all details.

Also remember that nVidia added something that no Adobe program uses, but it broke Adobe. Not sure what one would expect Adobe to do about it, but they do read their Bug reports, so who knows?

Good luck,

Hunt