8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2012 2:42 PM by emailtofarid

How big is too big for Illustrator CS4

elijahnow

I have been working with Illustrator for a little while now, and have been asked to create a piece of artwork 10,000 pixels wide, the height would be about 8,500 high.

My understanding is that they want to use the on a very large sign on the lawn of their sales center.

Could someone tell me what the size limit is for illustrator CS4?

Thank you,

Del

• 1. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The maximum size in Illustrator is 227" x 227".

• 2. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
            shunithD Level 3

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

The maximum size in Illustrator is 227" x 227".

Doesn't the raster setting also play a role?

• 3. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
              elijahnow Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

If I’m doing the math right that would be 16,344 pixels X 16,344 pixels.

What I have done so far with the project is to make it 10,000 X 8,500 pixels at 300ppi, the file size is about 2mg.

I have saved it as a pdf with no problem, but I wanted to have a psd so I could do some work in PhotoShop, the psd didn’t work so I tried to make a tiff out of it. But I kept getting messages that I don’t have enough memory.

I have tried this on my G5 mac with single processer 3.5 gig of ram, ATI 9800 pro video card with 256 mg, and plenty of HD room.

I have also tried this on my pc, which is Quad core, 8 gig of ram, Nvidia 6600 gt with 128 mg ram, and plenty of HD room.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong or what I’m doing wrong so I can move on with the project.

Thanks for any help,

Del

• 4. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For large items such as this, try setting your Document Raster Effects Settings to 72. What is the composition of the sign? Images, vector objects, type or a combination of all. Images in this size rarely need ppi greater than 100 and often less.

• 5. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

Do not use pixels to define the size of artwork in Illustrator. "Pixels" means nothing. Pixels have no physical size, so artwork that is 300 pixels wide has no physical size, either. Illustrator lets you define artwork using pixels, but this is wrong. What Illustrator calls a pixel is actually 1/72 inch. That is a physical size, so it cannot be a pixel.

Your client needs to define the artwork using physical sizes, like inches, feet, or centimeters.

• 6. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
                    elijahnow Level 1

Thanks for all the info.

I have attached a pdf with some of the sign composition.  Everything except the tree object is illustrator vector, using quite a few layers. Missing from the pdf are two lines of text for the name and location of the properties, there is also a vector log that is missing.

The tree is an 8.25mb jpg. I placed it on a separate layer in the illustrator sign doc. I’m making wooded areas (forest) around much of the perimeter using this tree. I also speckle  much of the properties with trees.

I am using hundreds of these trees to do this, many are resized very small for single trees on the property lots and many are stretched and reshaped to make forests, with small trees add to that.

Everything is ok until I get about 2/3s of it done and then I can’t save anymore and the file can’t be opened after that.

I know I’m using a tremendous amount of space with these trees, (gig’s worth now that I think about it) but how small can I make the tree image size and it still look high quality?

There must be a better, easyer way of getting the results I need.

I’m not familiar with Document Raster Effects Settings, but I’ll be using physical size from now on.

Thanks,

Del

• 7. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
                      Scott Falkner Level 5

Document Raster Effects only applies to any raster effects applied using the Effects menu. This usually means Drop Shadow, Glow, Gaussian Blur, and any of the artistic effects that only work in RGB mode. It has nothing to do with purely vector objects or any imported artwork.

For artwork that size, 100 ppi is probably higher than necessary, making it a safe bet. I see that you’re using a raster mask for the entire image. You can do the same with a vector mask instead. Make a blend between two overlapping, identical paths. In back, a thick black stroke and black fill; in front, a thin white stroke and white fill. Use the blend as an Opacity Mask for the rest of the illustration.

You can keep the file size more manageable by making sure you link any imported images and saving without PDF compatibility. I have been able to turn that option off to make files hundreds of MB smaller.

• 8. Re: How big is too big for Illustrator CS4
                        emailtofarid Level 1

Hi

Please follow this video tutorial and you will see a small thing can reduce the file size easily. It was really helpfull for me.

How to Reduce AI Vector file size: An Adobe illustrator Tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5m3TKrXE3g

My AI file size was not going under 1 MB even by deleting extras so what I did is I opened a raster small image of 100 kb with Adobe Illustrator. then deleted the image and saved the file as AI. Then I Copied the whole vector content of original AI file that was bigger then 1 MB with ctrl+c command and pasted it in the new file created with raster image. and saved it. Wow the new file size is only 137 kb now.

Thanks