13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 7:11 PM by acmputr

Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???

GUIDO_GIARDINO

I use all the software of the Master Collection CS4 package.

Premiere Pro is completly unstable. Every 5 minutes windows says me that the program is not responding. After effects have the same problem when is rendering previews...

I have a Windows 7 System

with a Radeon HD 4890 videocard

INTEL I7 processor of 2.66ghz

Mother board INTEL DX58SO

with 4gb of RAM

I download all the updates of the software!

Please help me because this problem don`t let me work!!

• 1. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I find it best to start with a clean installation of the OS (no upgrade), update that, then install the Adobe suite and update that completely.  Under those conditions, things should work pretty well on your system.

• 2. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You mentioned updating the software.  If this means you also updated all the drivers that is a great start.  We (at least I) have not seen this motherboard being used with CS4.  That is why you should make sure that all the Intel motherboard drivers are the latest versions.  Also turn off any unnecessary other software like anti-virus, anti spyware, etc that you might have running to see if that might cause the problems.

• 3. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
              acmputr Level 1

I use that same motherboard and I7 (8 way core) CPU with Vista X64.  The difference is I use an NVidia 512 card.  When I first installed Vista x64 SP2 Adobe informed me Premier was not vetted for SP2.  I backed off SP2 and waited a while before putting it back on.  Except for that incident my system is not only fast but it is also rock solid.  Since Windows 7doesn't release until 10/22 I would guess Premier will have issues with it for a while yet.  Adobe seems to follow the release, not preceed it.

• 4. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                Kona Bob Level 2

Guido

If you are using 32 bit OS with 4 GB RAM, that could well be a major part of your problem.

When I switched to 64 bit OS with 12 GB RAM, CS4 became rock solid. I have never had it crash, run low on resources, or have crash/"fail to conform- unknown error" on renders.

If you do have 64 bit, you should jack the RAM up to 12-16 GB.

Adobe has fairly low minimum requirements listed for CS4, but they are not bashful about saying that it is really designed for 64 bit, high RAM to run best for HD editing.

Just a thought ;-)

• 5. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                  GUIDO_GIARDINO Level 1

Why 32 bit OS is a problem??

• 6. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

GUIDO_GIARDINO wrote:

Why 32 bit OS is a problem??

It is not a problem, he was just referring to the 4GB Ram limitation.  I do not have the Master Collection but, I am running Production Premium Suite perfectly satisfactory on XP 32 with 4GB of RAM with out problems.  Run my Adobe Premiere Pro Benchmark PPBM on you system and send me the results.  From the results I can generally spot some problems and give you feedback.

• 7. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                      GUIDO_GIARDINO Level 1

Kona Bob! I follow your recommendations and I`m so so so so happy using premiere, after effects and all the collection without any major trouble!! very happy!! total happyness!! jajja

I upgrade to 8gb of ram and switch to 64 bit windows 7 system!

Thanks for your answer!!

• 8. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                        Powered by Design Level 4

Your mother board says it has:

Four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets

Maybe someone else could answer but doesnt DDR3 need to be ran in incremnets of 3 for the tripple channel to run ?

Maybe you need to not use that 4th slot for better speed.

What does everyone else think ?

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 9. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          doesnt DDR3 need to be ran in incremnets of 3 for the tripple channel to run ?

It does.  But the board sort of cripples that feature and only allows dual-channel.

• 10. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

For your information, this also happens with all P55 boards.

• 11. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                              acmputr Level 1

I don't know that I would agree with that general statement about ALL P55 Motherboards.  I upgraded my DX58SO system to Windows 7 Pro x64 and have had no problems.  I also wiped and did a clean build on an older Quad Core using Windows 7 Pro x64 and it too runs the Premier with no problems.

As for the memory, there are a few issues there.

1. Memory causes more trouble than people realize.  ALWAYS, go to the motherboard manufacturers site and get a memory compatibility list and only use what's tested and approved.

2.  High performance boards such as the DX58SO use DDR3 in a group of three dimms.  Accessing 3 dimms at the same time creates a wider path and therefore faster data transfer.  But, the board has a 4th slot.  If you populate all four slots the board drops back into dual channel mode accessing the memory as 2 sets of 2.

As for the lockups:.

I have 2 DP55WB boards.  These boards have 4 memory slots set up as 2 dual channel sets and run DDR3 in dual channel mode. If you check the Intel site you will see they are very specific about the RAM approved to run on that board.  Intel also offers easy to use BIOS updates and INF file updates from their web site.  If you are having an issues try the following:

1. Make sure you have the right RAM. We are using Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G.

2. Update the BIOS and the INF files.

3. Download the latest video driver.

4. Install the latest updates and patches from Adobe.

I'm pretty confident that if you do these things and your system is properly installed you will have fewer if any problems.

Mel

• 12. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I don't know that I would agree with that general statement about ALL P55 Motherboards.

You don't need to agree with the general statement, accept the facts! Just look here: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

High performance boards such as the DX58SO

I would argue that statement. The Intel is not high performance, it is crippled by design. Glad you are happy with that Intel board. I would hate it to buy a crippled mobo that cannot perform what nearly every other brand can.

PS. The joys of Jive keep insisting to insert crap in the quotes.

• 13. Re: Why my CS4 Master Collection is so unstable???
                                  acmputr Level 1

I went to your web link, what was I supposed to find there?

Also,

As an OEM system builder for business I have one concern, out of the box reliability.  If a tweeker is good enough they can tweek extra performance from the hardware.  Unfortunately, most tweekers simply make their systems unstable.  I've sold hundreds and hundres of systems the last 15 years and because of my experiences during that time, I became an Intel only motherboard system builder for three reasons.

1. One warrantee call can eat up all the profit in a system, Warrantee service calls are few now, it wasn't always so with other boards.

2. They last forever, failure rate is very low and half the time it's something I did or didn't do.

3. Their support is fast and easy.

So if your point is squeezing out a bit more performance then we are on different planets.  If I want more horse power I can run dual Xeons, but the I7Core seems to be more than enough.  I have no hour glass (now a circle) wait states and the system is snappy.  One thing I liked about your chart, I'm running an I7Core 920 (2.66MHz), I've gotta get me that 975 3.33 MHz CPU.

Be well,

Mel