8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 4:25 PM by the_wine_snob

How to save pieces of a video separately?

learnit10

I have a 12 minute video that I would like to split into smaller segments and save each segment as a separate video file.

I have cut the video into pieces using markers and "ins and outs" and have dragged those pieces to the timeline. I am stuck at this point, however. (I am new to Premiere). What can I do?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This is very basic stuff that a proper education in video production and a thorough read through of Premiere's instructions will resolve.

• 2. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
            acmputr Level 1

Go to http://www.lynda.com  for $25 a month or $250 a year you can access traing videos that will answer you questions.  The traing is required to be effective.  If you just bought Premier it hould have come with a choice of freebees.  A one month subscription to Lynda.com was one of the options.

• 3. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
              learnit10 Level 1

Lynda.com is actually the place that I am learning and yes, it's very good. The Premiere tutorial is about 3 hours (as opposed to many that are 9); I am 2/3 through the tutorial, however, and it doesn't appear that the later topics will answer the question, but I guess I will just have to finish it out and see. If the answer is simple though, please post here.

• 4. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
                acmputr Level 1

Just because you use CS4 don't think the CS3 videos will be of no use to you.  You'll get it sorted out.

• 5. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
                  Powered by Design Level 4

You could create a new sequence and then drag the original clip inside that ( called nesting ) and edit that clip to whatever size you want.

Nesting works if you have a long video that you want a small clip from.

It sounds like nesting would work for you.

Of course when you nest something if you change the original footage then it effects all the nested clips.

But it works good for splitting it up to smaller segments.

Or you could copy and paste it back in and make changes.  Thus making new video that is independent of the others.

Keep playing around with the Lynda training.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 6. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

You have a range select tool in the timeline that usually defaults and grows to the length of the clips that make up the timeline.  Shorten that to your taste and then in the export options select workspace area instead of the whole timeline and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
                      learnit10 Level 1

Great! Following Glenn's instructions I created a new sequence, dragged an individual clip to it and selected File > Export > Media to create a standalone file with that clip.

Now, one followup question regarding file size:

Exporting a 7 second .mov clip (using the default Quicktime format for the video) creates a 28 MB file. This seems very large to me, especially considering the extremely low quality of the original video. I try dragging the quality bar from 100 to 0 and then exporting again and the resulting file is about 27 MB, only 1 MB less. In order to export without losing any more of the quality, is there a different format I should use? Or perhaps there are compression tricks afterwards?

Thank you so much for your help.

• 8. Re: How to save pieces of a video separately?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Great! Following Glenn's instructions I created a new sequence, dragged an individual clip to it and selected File > Export > Media to create a standalone file with that clip.

Good news. The official name of that device is the WAB (Work Area Bar), and can be used for some other things, besides Export. It can be a measuring tool, and can be set to limit Renders. You might want to read up on the WAB to learn all of the tricks that it can do.

Many go a long time, before they discover it. You'd be surprised at the number of users, who have never even noticed that it was there. There are many complaints that "PrPro can't to _____," that are answered by "use the WAB."

Glad that you got it sorted.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - I am a big fan of Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS4. It takes you through so many aspects of PrPro and in a very logical way. When you are done with all of the exercises in that book, you will be ahead of many other users. It is worth every $.

1 person found this helpful