1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 10:48 PM by Jim_Simon

Need Advice on 1st PC build for Editing

Paul R Stark Level 1

My plan is based on the VideoGuys DIY7 build located at http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY+Systems/Videoguys+DIY7+Intel+Core+i7+with+Vista+64/0x e07f65920351fbf3ed8f9892355dfda0.aspx.

I would be very much appreciative if anyone could offer analysis and recommendations on the following configuration:

MoBo - Asus P6T Deluxe V2

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 (Are there different ones? Is there a particular one I must get?)

Memory - Corsair XMS3 12GB PC12800 DDR3 - 6x2048MB (Is DDR3-10600-1333 good enough?)

Hard Drives:

Boot Drive - Western Digital WD3200AAJS 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 8MB

Video Storage - Western Digital WD3200AAJS 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 8MB

(I don't know how many and I don't know which ones. I also don't know about the necessity of a RAID 0).

Case - Cooler Master Centurion 534

Power - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

DVD+/-RW - Need a recommendation. I do not anticipate any Blu-Ray needs for my work.

GPU - NVIDIA FX 1800 by PNY. This is an expensive card. I wonder if ATI HD48xx or nVidia GTX2xx cards are about as good. However, I will be using Premiere Pro, After Effects, SoundBooth, and Encore, one or more dynamically linked at various times.

Cooling - I am quite ignorant here. I hope the Power Supply will be adequate for the case, but I suspect there is a cooling device I should also get for the CPU that perhaps does not come with the CPU. Perhaps the Noctua NH-U12P or the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. However, I do not expect to overclock, unless someone recommends it.

Monitor - Not sure how critical this is, but I would like to spend no more than $150.

OS - Windows 7 64-bit, but not sure which one. Ultimate? Pro?

Note: I own the CS4 Master Collection. I am brand new to video editing and PC building, but have good aptitude for both. We are producing a multi-DVD curriculum and it has to be good. We will also be publishing videos on the web and intend to do many more productions in the future. Steep learning curve for me, but the benefit for those we are trying to help should be quite significant (we're a non-profit).

Many thanks to those who can be of help.

Paul