3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:53 PM by Gary Politzer

Photoshop Brushes are clunky and unintuitive.

Gary Politzer Level 2

The entire process of choosing, building, & controlling brushes in Photoshop is absolutely wretched.  There are so many rusty, dusty corners of Photoshop that could be improved for use by human beings who aren't engineers!  Watch this little movie, Adobe interface designers, and wake up and smell the future: 

http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/movies/brush_designer_in_action.mov

Wouldn't it be nice if I could build and control brushes this easily in Photoshop?  Let's get the interface into the 21st century already.

• 1. Re: Photoshop Brushes are clunky and unintuitive.
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I've heard a few whispers that there are improvements to Photoshops paint engine on their way. Hopefully this will also include interface improvements. Designed as you say, by human beings, with a creative approach - and not ex Microsoft/Micromedia space wasting robots. Here's hoping.

What that video demonstrates is a kind of vector (not pixel) based paint engine. Each stroke would have to be a kind of independant object, for its attributes dynamically editable in this way. I'm not so sure that this would be a very flexible system when you think it through the whole way. Although the video looks fun, what is the PRACTICAL use, of such functionality?

• 2. Re: Photoshop Brushes are clunky and unintuitive.
            sfjedi Level 1

Gary Politzer wrote:

There are so many rusty, dusty corners of Photoshop that could be improved for use by human beings who aren't engineers!

I totally agree! I've been making this argument for a very long time and I *am* an engineer!

Gary Politzer wrote:

http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/movies/brush_designer_in_action.mov

Wouldn't it be nice if I could build and control brushes this easily in Photoshop?  Let's get the interface into the 21st century already.

Excellent movie! I think it's a brilliant idea!

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

What that video demonstrates is a kind of vector (not pixel) based paint engine. Each stroke would have to be a kind of independant [sic] object, for its attributes dynamically editable in this way. I'm not so sure that this would be a very flexible system when you think it through the whole way. Although the video looks fun, what is the PRACTICAL use, of such functionality?

Mark, as usual, I think you're missing something here.

Though the video shows something that is–as you say–vector-based, it doesn't imply that the brush engine would also be vector-based. That is, maybe they are just using it to select the appropriate brush and after you have the brush selected you can paint with it as you would normally. In terms of practicality, how is this *not* practical? It's a total time saver and it's brilliant! It allows you to see what you're getting into before you commit. I wish dating was that easy! Even if they *are* using vector-based brush strokes, what's so horrible about that? Sure, it would create a new object for each brush stroke, but just like vector shapes within PS you should be able to rasterize them if they get out of hand or when you're done with that particular layer. Or maybe there's a memory management preference that allows you to automatically rasterize every brush stroke for those who maybe don't have too much RAM or maybe it's just their preference.

If I'm not mistaken, there's been previous feature requests that ask for something more along the lines of Corel Painter. This would kind of be up that alley.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Brushes are clunky and unintuitive.
              Gary Politzer Level 2

Yes, I think the movie is showing a temporary vector-based object that is being used to configure a brush on the fly with live feedback.  It's a beautiful idea well implemented.  I did not get the impression that regular brush strokes are editable like this, but I have not actually used the app.