7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 4:19 PM by unpocoloco

EPS Preview format in AI CS4

unpocoloco

I was just told by Filemaker tech support that, as of CS4, Illustrator saves the Mac format EPS files with a TIFF preview (same as PC) rather than the PICT format preview that has been around since Illustrator 1.0.

True or False?

Thanks!

Steve Willis

• 1. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
          Printer_Rick Level 4

Either preview format can be used on a Mac with CS4. The option can be changed with Save As.

With the TIFF preview you have the added option of transparent or opaque.

• 2. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
            unpocoloco Level 1

That was not the question I asked. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I know that the Mac version of Illustrator is platform agnostic regarding what kind of preview is in an EPS file.

The problem is that Filemaker Pro is not. FMP will not properly display an EPS with a TIFF preview. Filemaker, inc. acknowledges that fact and blames it on Adobe changing the preview file format of a Mac EPS from PICT to TIFF or something else in Illustrator CS4.

Did, in fact, Adobe change the Mac preview format for EPS files in Illustrator CS4?

Thanks!

Steve

• 3. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
              Printer_Rick Level 4

I wasn't clear either I guess

Either format preview can be saved with a Mac Illustrator file. Mac pict or TIFF.

So to answer your question no, the behavior of Illustrator has not changed. We still have the pict preview available.

• 4. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
                Printer_Rick Level 4

Here is EPS saved with pict preview from CS4. Maybe you can test this in Filemaker.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
                  unpocoloco Level 1

I'm not trying to be picky here, but Iooking for a response that cannot possibly be misinterpreted when I copy-and-paste it into an email to Filemaker tech support. We're still not there yet.

1. Does AI CS4 build EPS files the same way it always has since v1.0, using a PICT-format preview image when a Mac preview is specified in the Save As... dialog?

Yes or no?

2. Are you an Adobe employee speaking officially for the company?

Yes or no?

• 6. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since this is a User-to-User forum you won't get any official word from anyone.

• 7. Re: EPS Preview format in AI CS4
                      Printer_Rick Level 4

unpocoloco wrote:

I'm not trying to be picky here, but Iooking for a response that cannot possibly be misinterpreted when I copy-and-paste it into an email to Filemaker tech support. We're still not there yet.

1. Does AI CS4 build EPS files the same way it always has since v1.0, using a PICT-format preview image when a Mac preview is specified in the Save As... dialog?

To be certain, as far as I can see the behavior has not changed with CS4. A Mac Illustrator EPS can have either a TIFF or a Mac preview. If the Mac was TIFF that wouldn't make much sense to me, having both options. So I'm pretty certain it's PICT.

However I suppose it's possible the mac preview has changed to mac format TIFF, and the other TIFF preview option is IBM PC. That would be the only explanation for the separate mac preview option. Although if that is the case Adobe should have changed the wording in the save dialog.

unpocoloco wrote:

2. Are you an Adobe employee speaking officially for the company?

Yes or no?

No. You need a higher authority than me. But hopefully you can test the file I sent.

1 person found this helpful