15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 12:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things

Luke Flegg Level 1

CS4 should be a step forward from CS3, but some of the things that used to be a simple process are now 'improved' in a way that makes me want a refund on my software.

If for any of these thing you have another method or suggestion you'd like to share that'd be great, otherwise join the rant and share what features you wish weren't 'upgraded'

-I cannot actually believe what Adobe have done to the export frame shortcut (used to be Ctrl+Shift+M) it was so easy. Hit that combination, type filename, hit enter. Bulletproof. Why EVER change that? What room for improvement is in that?!

I actually can't see how to export a single frame at all, only a sequence, in frames... I have 4.1.0. Anyone?

-I REALLY dislike the new multiple track selection interface. I've found it useful for nothing.

I find I am constantly deselecting tracks in Premiere now. I wish like before, it would only allow one track to be selected unless you held shift. I don't know about other users, but it often doesn't even create a default transition if more than one track is selected, (yes the TLI is in the right place)

-I think it was PPro2 that last had the fantastic feature of Home and End taking you to the beginning and end of the selected clip. This worked nicely with the default transtion keys. AT LEAST OFFER BOTH OPTIONS, I would be happy if for example Shift+Home/End did the same job...

-Audio Gain.

So many things take longer, with more keystrokes. This isn't how professionals edit Adobe.

Remember when you hit the Audio Gain shortcut, typed 6 (for 6dB) and hit enter? i LOVE that you can now apply this to multiple clips, but only with the extra fiddling with the figure-slider. Triples the amount of time it takes to change audio gain on different clips.

-Play in background. Anyone remember when Premiere used to play in the background?

Incredibly useful for some situations. (Off the top of my head -checking an interview against a word document that has focus) or just wanting to do other things while playing back, or capturing- how does this still apply to capturing! Some people still seem to be suggesting it's because Premiere needs all the attention for processing power. Funny how no other app does... I reverted to using WinDV by mourek because it runs flawlessly in the background and split clips.

Please Adobe, if you're going to 'fix' or 'improve' a feature, just leave the old way in as well. Give us both options.

Some things you could focus on fixing instead:

-Multiple layer bug

Anyone get this- I have for example a couple of titles on top of video, and tweaking for example the Y position will suddenly replace the entire image with another, totally seperate title. It's a joke. Doesn't seem to affect the render, but still infuriating for preview and unneccesary!

-Multi format timeline

-Handle projects longer than 30 minutes without trembling.

-Audio waveforms should reflect changes. Such as Fill left/right or gain.

-Find a way to make rubberbands/beziers work. For example, try taking ANY kind of control over the animation of a rotation. Trying to make a clip rotate slowly then fast is so incredibly hard, even with the video track expanded fully across my entire screen. How about making it not 0.5 pixels different between rotation value A and B, but relative so that it fills the whole height of the clip. Absolute makes no sense!

• 1. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
          Jim_Simon Level 8

-I REALLY dislike the new multiple track selection interface. I've found it useful for nothing.

I use this one all the time.  I find it a nice addition.

-I think it was PPro2 that last had the fantastic feature of Home and End taking you to the beginning and end of the selected clip. This worked nicely with the default transtion keys. AT LEAST OFFER BOTH OPTIONS, I would be happy if for example Shift+Home/End did the same job...

1.5 actually.  Adobe mucked up this shortcut in 2.0 and CS3.  But it is back now in CS4 (sort of).  The default Home/End will only navigate to the sequence end points.  But Home/End with a modifier (Shift, CTRL, not sure which) will take you to the clip end points.

Now for me, that's not good enough.  I don't want the extra key presses.  The only proper modifier here is whether or not a clip is selected.  If one is, you go to the clip end points.  If no clip is selected, you go the the sequence end points.  Fortunately, that can be made to happen by simply overwriting the default clip shortcut with the unmodified Home/End keys. This finally restores proper behavior to the Home/End shortcuts that Adobe mucked up so long ago - at least for the sequence.  The unfortunate side effect of modifying those shortcuts is that Home/End now have no effect in the Source monitor.  So Adobe did somewhat restore things to their proper order, but only half way.  The original 1.0 & 1.5 behavior for Home/End still needs to be fully restored, with the clip selection being the only proper modifier, not two separate shortcuts.

Remember when you hit the Audio Gain shortcut, typed 6 (for 6dB) and hit enter?

CS3 did that one best.  CS4 offers more options, so I kind of see why Adobe requires the extra keystrokes.  But I also see no reason they can't "assume" that a straight Audio Gain adjustment is what most people will be doing, and have that auto-highlighted, so one can again simply hit the number and Enter.  Granted, if one is after one of the other three gain options, the extra keystroke will still be required.  But let's keep it easy for the majority of uses and put that auto-highlight back.

Anyone remember when Premiere used to play in the background?

Given the interconnectedness of the whole suite, and that many users will have Premiere, Photoshop (which now handles video), After Effects, Soundbooth and Encore open all at the same time, and that each is capable of playback, I kind of see Adobe's design point on this one.

a couple of titles on top of video, and tweaking for example the Y position will suddenly replace the entire image with another, totally seperate title.

Have never had that happen.  Don't recall others here asking about it.  This may be a local issue rather than a bug.

-Handle projects longer than 30 minutes without trembling.

I do all the time without issue.

-Audio waveforms should reflect changes. Such as Fill left/right or gain.

It does for Gain adjustments.

• 2. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The original 1.0 & 1.5 behavior for Home/End still needs to be fully restored, with the clip selection being the only proper modifier, not two separate shortcuts.

I disagree.

Given the interconnectedness of the whole suite, and...many users will have Premiere, Photoshop (which now handles video), After Effects, Soundbooth and Encore

And that's why.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I missed something there, Jeff.  I don't see the relevance of the two issues.

• 4. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things

Which is why you keep asking to have the Home/End behavior changed.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                  Luke Flegg Level 1

Jeff Bellune wrote:

Which is why you keep asking to have the Home/End behavior changed.

-Jeff

Are you trying to help, or sound arrogant?

Either way, there's obviously a lot of us that don't welcome the removal of these features and methods.

I can't see why both aren't available. Why can't Premiere be configured to work in the old way or the new way...

• 6. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I keep asking because I like efficiency.  The fewer clicks/keystrokes it takes to do something, the better.  The behavior from 1.0 and 1.5 is simply the most efficient design possible.  It should be restored on that basis.

And as one of those who often has multiple apps open at the same time, I still don't see any connection between these disparate issues.

• 7. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Why can't Premiere be configured to work in the old way or the new way...

It can, to a degree.  I covered how in my first post.

• 8. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                        Luke Flegg Level 1

yeah, thanks for that tip - I'll try it out!

2009/10/17 Jim Simon <forums@adobe.com>

Why can't Premiere be configured to work in the old way or the new way...

>

I can, to a degree.  I covered how in my first post.

>

• 9. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                          fuaho Level 1

Using the "edit keyboard shortcuts" function, you can set up premiere to work anyway you want. I have mine setup just like my AVID, so there is no interference moving between them. e=set inpoint, r=set outpoint, q=go to inpoint, w=go to outpoint, a=go to start of selected clip, s= go to end of selected clip, m=drop a marker, ctrl m=matchframe, etc. whatever you want. I also use the photoshop shortcuts of ctrl 0 for zoom to full sequence, ctrl - for zoom out and ctrl = for zoom in.

You can save as many different setups as you like...

HTH,

• 10. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things

Luke Flegg wrote:

Are you trying to help, or sound arrogant?

I guess I should have put a smiley after my reply.

As for the other, I'm not in a position to "help" in this thread since, like you, all I can do is request features and report bugs.   Any real help would have to come from the Premiere engineers.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. You must be in the minority, as most want Adobe to be atop every upgrade to QT and iTunes, plus YouTube, and cannot understand why PrPro is not able to anticipate the next iteration of anything Apple. They feel that Adobe needs to issue an update for every change to each of those, plus every other bit of software, and new variation on every CODEC.

Somewhere, things have got to give,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Remember when you hit the Audio Gain shortcut, typed 6 (for 6dB) and hit enter? i LOVE that you can now apply this to multiple clips, but only with the extra fiddling with the figure-slider. Triples the amount of time it takes to change audio gain on different clips.

I guess that we just do things differently. For Audio editing, I listen on a calibrated system, and hardly ever use any sort of Preset, or shortcut, even in Audition, where I have dozens of Custom Presets - it's about the actual sound and little is automatic.

If this is useful to you, you might want to explore Adobe Audition and its Custom Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                                  Luke Flegg Level 1

Yeah I wish I was paid enough / worked on big enough projects to be able to afford the time (and equipment) to be more of a quality geek.

As it is, I am one of the many users who just want Premiere to be an efficient but high quality and powerful NLE program, which perhaps more than anything is injured by not offering enough customization. There is just literally no excuse for removing a feature or way something works - add, do not take away (unless of course it's a bug!)

I'm currently building a better computer for editing, using Cineform. I'm hoping this will help the responsiveness problems I'm also having...

What is the effect of me marking this question as 'answered'?

• 14. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Only that it will show up as answered. Posts can still be added, but there are people who skip threads when they have been answered.

• 15. Re: Adobe, seriously, stop 'fixing' things
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      As it is, I am one of the many users who just want Premiere to be an efficient but high quality and powerful NLE program, which perhaps more than anything is injured by not offering enough customization.

Luke,

I am not far away in my wishes. I want a "feature-rich" program, but first I want total stability. I do all that I can, from both a system and software side to insure this, at all costs.

As for asking for "features," I always research ways to do what I want, as I can easily overlook an existing feature, or perhaps a slightly modified workflow to get what I want. Then, I consider that feature, to determine if this is something that would only help me, or if there is really a need for such. Only after that will I file the Feautre Request. Last things that I would want would be to burden Adobe designer/engineers with requests for an existing feature, just because I did not know of it, or how to use it, or to ask for something that might have negative impact on something else. They have enough to work on, and I want them spending much of their time on stability.

What Harm said. I believe that most folk will still view threads, though they are marked Answered. A few might pass on them, as there are likely to not have any "points" to be awarded. Most don't worry with those points and just try to help, regardless. As often happens, someone will find an older article with a similar problem/question and post to it, though it's marked as Answered. That is one good reason that most will read even older threads that seem to have run their course.

Good luck,

Hunt