8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 8:38 AM by Jim_Simon

Hard Drive?

EvolveWithMe Level 1

Hi,

I am getting ready to purchase Premiere Pro, and I have a 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 9400M (with optional 9600M) graphics and a 500gb 5400rpm harddrive.  My question is, can the 5400rpm harddrive run everything smoothly?  if not, could I just get a 7200rpm external harddrive and set the scratch discs to it and not worry about having to upgrade the internal harddrive to a faster speed?  I plan on using Premiere Pro, On Location, After Effects, and Photoshop regularly. 

any suggestions on what the best route would be?  I would rather not have to upgrade internal harddrive if at all possible; if it is the better way for sure to upgrade, i will do it.

• 1. Re: Hard Drive?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Ideally, a minimum config would be three internal (or eSATA) 7200 hard drives.

One for OS & Programs

One for Projects/Scratch

One for Media.

Less than that will work, but performance begins to suffer.

• 2. Re: Hard Drive?
            EvolveWithMe Level 1

hi Jim,

thanks for the response!  did you mean to say three external drives?  or did you in fact mean to say internal... because im not too sure how that would work out

I planned on having two externals, but three does sound like a good idea!  so keeping the internal harddrive at 5400rpm isnt a big deal then? or should i go ahead and upgrade that?

• 3. Re: Hard Drive?
              Jim_Simon Level 9
              did you mean to say three external drives?

I did not.  Firewire and USB, while they do work, are less suitable than internal or eSATA drives.

• 4. Re: Hard Drive?
                EvolveWithMe Level 1

oh, okay.

Well, if I exchange my 15" for the 17" i get an expresscard slot in which i can purchase an eSata expresscard to connnect two eSata Harddrives to it.  Could I then just edit my video off of those harddrives and keep the built in 5400 rpm harddrive?  I dont want to replace the internal harddrive if I dont HAVE to.  the system requirements for HD video editing through premiere pro says a dedicated 7200rpm harddrive... and I'm not sure if that means i can use externals for that.  Again, i dont mind replacing the internal, would rather not though.  I guess if I wanted to edit on the go I would need a 7200rpm internal right?  I just want to make the right choice!

Thanks

• 5. Re: Hard Drive?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You should be able to use your 5400 rpm internal drive if you have one or preferable two external eSATA drives via the expresscrd slot.  We only hope you are not going to be editing AVCHD material.  You can edit on the go if your eSATA drives are 2.5-inch drives or SSD drives.

• 6. Re: Hard Drive?
                    Jim_Simon Level 9
                    I just want to make the right choice!

Build your own Windows 7 desktop.

• 7. Re: Hard Drive?
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Jim, this user is talking laptops.

• 8. Re: Hard Drive?
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

I know.  I was pointing out that option has an inherent limitation, and that a self-built desktop is preferred.