4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 11:52 AM by Jacob Bugge

how to apply the same gradient to background and text?

Tru Davies Level 1

What can I do to make the text look like it's shaped like the background gradient. The gradient background makes the rectangle look slightly rounded and I want to have the same "round" effect for my text. When I apply the same gradient to the text it does not look right (see attached file), but when I just use regular text (see attached file), the text does not look right either. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your time and help. It's very much appreciated.

-TD

• 1. Re: how to apply the same gradient to background and text?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Tru,

If I understand you in the right way, you wish to have the gradient across the whole text (without the background rectangle which would make it invisible).

I believe the best solution would be to keep the type live and:

1) In the Appearence palette flyout Add New Fill (on top in the list),

2) With that fill selected, apply the gradient.

Or, with the outlined type selected, you may:

1) Object>Compound Path>Make,

2) Apply the gradient.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to apply the same gradient to background and text?
            JETalmage Level 6

You've got alot of unnecssarily complicated constructs in your file. You don't need all those Clipping Paths.

The treatment below was done by:

1. Make a Grad Swatch from your Grad Fill. (Always do this. Makes applying/reapplying simpler.)
            2. Apply the Grad Fill Swatch to the top live text object (Tech).
            3. Add a Fill to the text object in the Appearane palette. Drag it below the Characters. Leave it selected.
            4. Apply Effect>Path>OffsetPath to the added Fill. Select the Round option for Joins.
            5. Apply the same Grad Fill Swatch to the added Fill. But in the Grad Palette, set its direction to 270 (vertical) instead of 0 (horizontal).
            6. Drag the text object and drop it into the Graphic Styles palette so it can be applied to the other text object with one click.
            7. Select the background rectangle. Drag across it horizontally with the Grad Tool so as to offset the grad slightly from that on the text objects. This prevents the text objects and the background rectangle from looking like they are on the same "surface."

JET

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: how to apply the same gradient to background and text?
              Tru Davies Level 1

Thanks to both of you for your answers and thanks Jet for including the screenshot. It was incredible helpful and following your steps resulted in a great effect. Thanks again!

• 4. Re: how to apply the same gradient to background and text?
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For my small part you are welcome, Tru.