17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 9:22 PM by the_wine_snob

HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG

floodrick

I have been using A Prem cs4 and set up Encore to make dvd.

I have made 20 timelines within Encore. Is this OTT?

I am sucking the memory out of my computer and so I can't get audio on some items with project.

I have 2 hard drives to store footage and projects but the main computer is jammed I am 804 kb.

I am desperate to finish this project.

It is a school concert with 18 items.

I have 6 submenus

1 main menu.

what am i doing so wrong???

How can i get my memory back.PLEASE put me back on track.

• 1. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 2. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
            Jim_Simon Level 8

This sounds like a question for the Encore forum.

• 3. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              the main computer is jammed I am 804 kb.

Do you mean main memory or hard disk space on your C drive? The minimum memory requirement is 2 MB and for the C drive the minimum free space must be more than 20 GB or 30% of total disk capacity, whichever is larger.

• 4. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                floodrick Level 1

thanks,

I guess i should explain the whole problem...

but you see ...

It was going well,... ran low on memory...

I cleaned and removed the rendering files,(i had been rendering all through A Pro..)

made dvd...great... a 3 second bit of footage not in place, so fixed it in A Pro... I think I reverted to original and it fixed/updated..

memory LOW again...

transfered cache to external harddrive..

back to square one with no memory..

And Encore has sound on 3/4 of my items/timelines, but not on others..

When I made disc earlier today it took 4 hours to create. (do you know where these files are??? Maybe I can delete them, to start fresh.

Should it take that long for an hour and a half dvd??

Once it is burn and some have no sound, i have to start again...

Back to square 1..

no space to work the project...

where are temp files stored for Encore???

now because i can't find any files to move over to external drive the memory is being sucked up.

Is it virtual memory?

Is it Encore memory?

is it Adobe Prem memory( hiding somewhere)

Automatic saves are directed to external hard drive???

why is it getting sucked up and can I sort it before I can't turn on my computer again...)

this has happened 3 times.

Yesterday i took 20 minutes to see the screen??

Does this make any sense???

xp sevice pack 3

2.4GHz

3.50GB RAM

300 hard drive

2 external drives: 500GB and 500GB

• 5. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                  floodrick Level 1

I have 1.17 MB on my C Drive (Local disc

• 6. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                    floodrick Level 1

Thanks, I just feel bogged down with the technical stuff and just want to make the dvd, it all went well until I keep opening the Encore/ prem pro and change footage bits... thats when it all turns to more problems... i guess thats why i thought maybe the temp files were eating the memory. I don't want to turn it off because how long it took to start up. it is so frustrating. 4 o'clock in the morning her.. Thanks for your thoughts

• 7. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The C drive is your problem. Do some serious house keeping and free at least 100+ GB and then defrag the drive.

• 8. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                        floodrick Level 1

That has been my problem with this project and why I am wondering where I have gone wrong. I have transfered all personal stuff off C;hard drive, and it has clogges up the memory again and again. every time I burn the dvd it cloggs.. I have just uninstalled another few programs and got 13 GB, so now it may let me do dvd. i have photos 11 mb, no music, no documents, and don't play games... It is something I am doing when using adobe pro and encore. I will let you know how much space is left when next attempt at dvd is finished..

cheers for input.

• 9. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I do hope your two external disks are not USB or FW400 drives. FW800 may be acceptable, but eSATA is the only realistic solution.

• 10. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                            floodrick Level 1

they are both usb...I unistalled a cs2 version and got 13gb back... it is all seeming to be ok... Fingers are still crossed. I have removed everything else that is not a program and it had jammed up everytime... but if this gets completed this time I will check out external harddrives..Thanks for information.More techo reading... I just want make little dvds and have have...cheers

• 11. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                              Powered by Design Level 4

are you on a laptop or a desktop ?

Also I like to export all my movies to a folder then close Premiere and open Encore and start a new project.

Import all my footage and burn a DVD from Encore.

Harm has a really good article on Hard Drive Setup.

Those USB drive are killing you.

Also you might not have enough free space on you main drive.

Hope this helps:  Glenn

• 12. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                floodrick Level 1

thanks everyone for your input and once I uninstalled cs2 the 13gb has given it enough space to work. I will check out the external hardrives, and can now defrag as there is space.challenging pressure.Thanks for being there.

CHEERS

Michele

• 13. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                  burchan

I have finished several projects with Premiere CS4 and deleted all files created for the project from my 500Gb projects drive. My Adobe Production Premium CS4 is installed on C drive Vista operating system. My C drive has run out of space. In Adobe folder there are 27 various folders which are required to run the software. Common folder contains Media Cache Files (in all 6551 files CFA, Peak, MPGINDEX Files) for a total of 121GB. Is it safe to delete all the files from this folder if my projects have been completed? Is it possible to change location of folders that are to be deleted. I am concerned of having system files and temporarry files together in the same Adobe folder.  Is writter of the original post have the same problem?  

• 14. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For memory issues, this ARTICLE might help you get your computer set up for an NLE/authoring session.

I have made 20 timelines within Encore. Is this OTT?

No, your limit is 99 Timelines, IIRC.

I've done Projects in Encore that are much larger than this, with no issues. However, I do use the methods in the above article to get ready for the work.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Michele,

I thought that this sounded familiar. Glad that cleaning your HDD helped.

As for externals, I use a dozen FW-800's to edit to/from and also to do Encore Projects, and they work fine. I keep 100% of the PrPro and Encore Projects on these, so I can transport them between a couple of computers. Each has a drive letter assignment in the OS of each computer, that matches, and each is labeled to reflect that drive letter assignment.

Personally, I had difficulties with USB 2.0 externals, as did many others. I also found them to be far, far too slow. FW-400's did not exhibit the same problems, but were also too slow. FW-800 has worked fine, with eSATA being even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                        floodrick Level 1

I found a hidden folder...

(changed settings to show all)

User...

Application data...

Adobe...

Common...

Adobe soundbooth Preview files...

..Media Cache Files...

they go back to start of using CS4

263 GB of files

.pek files

.cfa files

.mpgindex files

rendering

so thought I would share.

Thanks for everyones input...

I don't know how. I don't care now...

YAH YAH YAH...

but I am down to 211 GB so a vast improvement with my running system..

CHEERS wonderful people

Michele

• 17. Re: HELP !!! desperate to find out what i am doing WRONG
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I found a hidden folder... (changed settings to show all)

Thanks for posting. That is something that I take for granted, as the first thing that I do with a new computer is to change the default Folder Options settings to show ALL, and all file extensions. I so often forget that everyone does not do the same - duh!

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting, and reminding me that not all OS's are set up the same.

Good luck,

Hunt