7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 9:45 AM by pixlor

problem sizing graphic with pointer tool

winston84

I'm following the tutorial in the Adobe Classroom in a Book, and I've got stuck on such a simple thing. The pointer tool is supposed to turn from black to hollow when I have selected a small image on a page (being careful not to select the background image as well of course). I've selected this logo, got the blue bounding box and the tutorial says "When the pointer icon changes form filled to hollow, drag the handle upwards and to the left to reduce the size of the image".

But this won't happen. why?

Thanks

Jude

• 1. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
          pixlor Level 4

The pointer should turn hollow (white fill) when you put the tip of the arrow (the cursor's active point) exactly over one of the blue squares at the corners of the bounding box. That's how you select the corner of the bounding box to move it (the bounding box corner).

Clicking and dragging on points other than the bounding box corners of the object will move the object.

• 2. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
            Jim_Babbage Level 4

Jude, did Pixlor solve your problem?

Jim Babbage

• 3. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
              winston84 Level 1

Thanks for asking , but now I'm stil lmystified. I'm not a complete novice, being used to Photoshop and InDesign. Following the Fireworks page-building exercise carefully in the Adobe workbook, I can get the blue bounding box on the image but I can't get the arrow to change so that I can adjust the size of it;. I've wracked my brains - have checked that I've not selected more than one object on the page or on a different layer  etc, but still can't wortk out why it won't respond. And I can't see another way to scale an object in Fireworks.

seems so stupid!

Jude

• 4. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
                pixlor Level 4

Hmm. It is odd. Have you accidentally locked the object or the layer? I do that sometimes. There are two boxes on the left hand side of the object in the Layers panel. The left-most toggles visibility (has an eye icon) and the other one locks the layer (has a lock icon when locked). I wouldn't think you could get the blue outline on a locked object or layer, though.

I did some experimenting, and I noticed that CS3 won't give me the open arrow on an ellipse, although it does on a rectangle. I think that's rather odd, since it still has blue outlines. I have to use the Scale tool to scale it.

There are other ways to transform an object.

Under the Selection tool in the toolbar is the Scale tool. Select an object, then select the scale tool to get resize handles at the corners and sides, as well as a rotate indicator. You can also get these handles if you select an object then use the

Modify > Transform > Free Transform

menu item. You can also get each transform separately. I like the Numeric Transform, myself, as I can specify exactly what change I want to an image or object.

Finally...can you share the document you're working on? Maybe we can see something. Try using the Insert Image control (camera icon, just to the left of the smilies) as attachments can sometimes take a while to be approved.

• 5. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
                  winston84 Level 1

Thanks so much for helpful comments, Pixlor.

I repeated the exercise int eh Adobe book to see if Ihad done something stupid,and worked through all your comments.

The arrow still won't change when I select the image and get the blue bounding box. All it would do was move it around the page,and however carefully I positioned the arrow on the bottom right square, the pointer never changed to  an unfilled one.

So I resorted to using the scale tool after reading your suggestions.

You are very patient with klutzes like me!

Probably not worth attaching the file for a query like this.

• 6. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
                    winston84 Level 1

Thanks - the original problem still exists, but Pixlor suggested ways round the problem so I can move on!

• 7. Re: problem sizing graphic with pointer tool
                      pixlor Level 4

winston84 wrote:

You are very patient with klutzes like me!

Probably not worth attaching the file for a query like this.

I don't think it's any klutziness on your part. I really don't. I think there's either something odd about the image or some setting in Fireworks.

I am glad the workarounds got you going, but please re-consider inserting your document for us to have a look at. Maybe we can sort it out so you can use the handles. Maybe not, but you never know till you try!