6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 9:37 PM by jay fresno

Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS

jay fresno Level 1

I downloaded the flatten pages javascript from windjack.com. I read the instructions for installing the script, but can't find the correct folder to put it in. According to the JavaScript console, the script should be put into:

MacBookPro/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaScripts

I can find the Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro folder, but there's not much of anything inside it. (see screen cap)

I'd love to use this script, so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!Picture 1.png

• 1. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you run the script to locate the path for JavaScirpts in Acrobat's JavaScript console?

// user JavaScript path
          try {
          var userJS = app.getPath("user","javascript");
          } catch(e) {
          var userJS = "User has not defined any custom JavaScripts";
          }
          console.println('User JavaScirpts: ' + userJS);
          // app JS path
          try {
          var appJS = app.getPath("app","javascript");
          } catch(e) {
          var userJS = "App has not defined any custom JavaScripts";
          }
          console.println('Application JavaScirpts: ' + appJS);

• 2. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
            jay fresno Level 1

Thank you for responding to my question.

When I run the script in your message, I get the following:

appJS is not defined

1:Console:Exec

undefined

I don't know enough about scripts to understand the message.

The instructions that come with the downloaded plug in say to put the following code into the JavaScript console:

App.getPath("user",javascrpt");

app.getPath("app","javascript");

When I run the above script, the path shown is:

/MacBookPro/Application/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaScripts/

I can find /MacBookPro/Application/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/ but as shown in the screen shot, there is no /Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaScripts/ inside of the Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro folder.

I did a search throughout the computer looking for the JavaScripts folder, and couldn't find it.

I have no problem using Acrobat 9 Pro, so I assume that there is nothing wrong with the installation of the application itself.

If you have further suggestions, I'd truly appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Is your system set to allow you see system and hiden files?

You will be placing code into areas that only adminstrators or system programers work in.

• 4. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
                jay fresno Level 1

I think I turned on hidden files. I found an article on the web describing how to do that at http://www.macworld.com/article/51830/2006/07/showallfinder.html

But after following the instructions, I still couldn't see the correct folders.

A Unix buddy, was able to get the plug in installed finally after typing some stuff into the Terminal on my computer, but I have no idea what the circuitus route was or what he typed in order to find the right folder, and I would not be able to replicate it.

There must be an easier way to do this - Surely other Mac users didn't have to go thru this to get the flattener installed ! ?

• 5. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The application itself is a package which is really nothing more than a folder. Right-click or control-click on the Acrobat application and use the show package contents item. That will display everything within the application package/folder.

• 6. Re: Noob question - where to put plug ins on Mac OS
                    jay fresno Level 1

Michael,

Thank you so much! This is really a revelation to me. I certainly learned something from you.