10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2009 1:33 PM by YiskahSarah RSS

How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

YiskahSarah Community Member

I recorded on my Sony Cybershot at a local concert but the sound is fuzzy.. Is there any way to edit this sound through cool edit pro?

You can see a sample at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdo0kDZZ0z0

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

• 1. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

You should be able to edit it, certainly - but you absolutely won't be able to improve the quality of the original capture - because that would require some sort of miracle, and they simply don't happen in the real world...

• 2. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

What settings would make it sound better?

I know I'm not going to get the quality of sound as if I recorded on better equipment, but what can be done for what I have?

• 3. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

YiskahSarah wrote:

What settings would make it sound better?

I know I'm not going to get the quality of sound as if I recorded on better equipment, but what can be done for what I have?

That's the whole point - you can't 'improve' sound quality. It's fixed by the way you record it - it's not a case of it's inherently good, but something you can remove is stopping it being so at all. And how are we supposed to know what would make it sound better? We haven't heard it, so we have no idea (other than a very general one) of what you might be able to do anyway. And apart from removing repetitive interference and a bit of noise reduction, there's generally precious little can ever be done. And neither of those processes will 'improve' the sound in the slightest; all they will do is show the inherently poor sound more clearly for what it is.

I'm sorry - we simply can't perform the sort of miracle you see on CSI with 'enhanced' audio - that's a complete dramatic fake, and I wish they wouldn't do it.

• 4. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

you said it is impossible to improve sound quality.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

I have used cool edit pro in the past to improve sound quality on several recordings. My problem, and the reason I am posting, is that I have not yet had to fix sound that was "fuzzy". I tried several of the filters and one made the sound clearer but it was tinny... (old time radio). What I would like is to achieve that clarity without the tinny quality of that specific filter.

It IS doable.

I KNOW it is possible.

I just don't want to spend hours upon hours experimenting with all the different filters, fields, levels, etc if someone already has a filter set up (or knows levels) for this COMMON recording problem.

If you are not that person, fine. But please don't be patronizing and tell me that it is something that only exists in fantasy.

• 5. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

you also said that you haven't heard it

but if you had clicked on the link in the first post, you would have heard it.

so don't blame me for not reading what I wrote and visiting all applicable links

• 6. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

YiskahSarah wrote:

you said it is impossible to improve sound quality.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

Okay, I listened to it. And if you're so clever, you fix it. It's distorted in parts and has no HF content. Are you going to invent the HF from somewhere?

If I tell you you can't do this, you'd better believe it; it's not a discussion item as far as you're concerned. You cannot 'improve' what isn't there. If you can't cope with that idea, then you have a problem, not me. It's also quite evident that you aren't prepared to put the time in to do any experimentation for yourself, and I don't think that this is going to endear you to anybody, quite frankly.

• 7. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Anyone else?

• 8. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound
                        ryclark Community Member

As Steve says you can never "fix" it. Also as you have discovered by experimentation you can change it's quality. By further experimentation you may be able to make it more acceptable/intelligible for whatever you end purpose is but you will never be able to make it good I'm afraid.

• 9. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

Okay, more explanation seems to be called for:

YiskahSarah wrote:

Thank you very much for your opinion.

It's not an 'opinion' - we are talking about the factual Laws of Physics here. Whatever you capture is what you've got. There are some forms of interference that can be removed because they are predictable (like noise, and anything else statistically repetitive), but after that you are left with manipulating what you have captured - and that doesn't improve it ever, it just alters it. If it's not there (like in your case, all the high frequencies, which is why it sounds 'fuzzy') then you can't improve it - simply because there is nothing to improve it with. Same goes for any form of overload distortion - if the level controls on your system allow you to (unwittingly)  add a load of harmonically unrelated signals to your wanted one in a rather dynamic manner, then there's no way that they can be correlated out again. The person who discovers a way of undistorting signals will make an absolute fortune - but don't hold your breath.

But you have a double whammy here - you've recorded on some sort of camera device, and the sound you've captured is from what may well be a woefully inadequate PA system, which is adding a whole load of other problems to the ones you already have. Camera/Camcorder sound has an unenviably bad

reputation in the first place - you have a microphone exactly where you don't want one on almost every occasion that you use it, and this leads to more problems and anguish for more people than you might ever credit.

What you've got is your camera's version of what the sound was like where you recorded it, I'm afraid - it hasn't added very much itself, apart from probably the distortion. If you really think that it sounded better at the event (and your ears can be very deceptive in these situations) then the only option you have is to get a better recording device and use it rather closer to the real source of the sounds you are recording - not the PA versions of it. And even then don't expect miracles - bad sound is what defines bootleg recordings, after all.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

You may not realise it, or even think so, but this is probably the most helpful message you will get about this - honestly.

• 10. Re: How do I fix "Fuzzy" sound

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

You may not realise it, or even think so, but this is probably the most helpful message you will get about this - honestly.

I do realize it.

It was very helpful.

Still harsh.

But helpful.

Thank you!