19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 12:05 PM by rajsangeet

Closed Captions

rajsangeet Level 1

Hi all,

Is there a way to do or show closed captions in PRE7? Thanks for your time!

Raj

• 1. Re: Closed Captions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No, there is not. Sorry.

That is, on the other hand, a feature of Encore, part of the CS4 Production Suite.

• 2. Re: Closed Captions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, Encore can do "real" CC's, plus Subtitles (similar but different).

However, you can create similar, by using the Titler and Lower-third Titles. The biggest difference is that you must manually get your text into each Title, rather than use software that automatically insert the CC, or Subtitles into the authoring program for use on a DVD/BD.

The biggest difference is that these Titles will become part of the Video and cannot be turned ON/OFF via a Menu, like real CC and Subtitles can. One only has these Titles, and there is no OFF setting. As a workaround to this, one could do two "Chapters," that would be identical, except that one would have the Titles and the other would not. This would mean that you'd not have the normal Duration, as you'd have the footage repeated (once with and once without), and due to the semi-automatic nature of the DVD authoring in PrE, a Play All Button would play first one "Chapter," and then the other. Still, the user could use the Chapters to play either the CC'ed version, or the plain version. Other authoring software would allow one to dispense with the Play All and to do each "Chapter" as a separate Timeline. Still, a workaround, that might not be of much use.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Closed Captions
              rajsangeet Level 1

Thank you Steve and wine snab,

I will look in to Encore and see what it has to offer. I thought about including the premanent captions but I think it could be anoying, especially if it is something commercial. Adding two similar chapters sound good. Let me think about the cost of Encore or similar products. Many thanks to both.

Raj

• 4. Re: Closed Captions
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Raj,

Unfortunately, Encore is only available bundled with PrPro. It was sold as a great stand-alone, up through version 2.0. With the introduction of CS3, it only available bundled with the NLE. I found this unfortunate, as it is a great authoring program, but now requires the purchase of PrPro. This was done as Adobe increased the power of the Dynamic Link between the two programs.

Now, there are some legit sellers of older versions of software, and I seem to recall one that had fully legal copies of EncoreDVD 2.0. I'll see if I can find that URL. One caveat is that EncoreDVD was certified for XP (all flavors), and one user had issues trying to run it on Vista. I have not heard of anyone installing it on Win7, but would assume that the same issues would exist, as happened with Vista.

I do not know of any other authoring program (short of Sonic Scenarist @ a starting price of US$15,000) that does CC and Subtitles. Maybe others do and will step up and give you some recs. Since Encore works so well for me, I really do not research other programs. One that might work is DVD-Lab Pro, but I do not know this to be fact.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Closed Captions
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj

As said, no closed captions feature in Premiere Elements, but….

Please take a look at the following for some how tos for Adobe Encore DVD.

Adobe Encore DVD

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=600973&seqNum=4

same thing also at

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=600973&seqNum=4

ATR

• 6. Re: Closed Captions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Nice link to the Peachpit Press article. While I am certain that I have most of that info in one, or more of my Encore books, I did not recall the 32/16 limits on CC/Subtitle Tracks. That is the same as the limit on Buttons per Menu, 32 for Standard and 16 for Widescreen.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Closed Captions
                      rajsangeet Level 1

Hi Steve, ATR and WineSnob,

Thank you for all the information. I am looking for Encore 2 DVD, let me know if you have a link I aill do a search as well. I think I am going to have to shell out the money for PrPro. I wonder what older version would have it? Thank you very much guys!

Raj

• 8. Re: Closed Captions
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj,

I think the best link so far is the PeachPit/Adobe with the details of Encore DVD and Closed Captions.

However here are some Encore DVD 2 and miscellaneous links that I found that you may or may not have already:

1. Training CD from sites for purchase, BUT has lots of free sample tutorials

http://www.hyperteach.com/products/encoredvd2-video-cd.htm

http://www.softwaretrainingtutorials.com/encore-dvd2.php

The above links may be for the same thing but at different sites, looks like that.

2. Layers Magazine web site claims to have everything Adobe, so take a look to see what Encore DVD 2 video tutorials are at that location:

http://www.layersmagazine.com/category/tutorials/page/37

and some for Premiere Pro

http://www.layersmagazine.com/category/tutorials/premiere-pro

If I come across anything else that looks promising, I will post the information.

ATR

• 9. Re: Closed Captions
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Raj,

Here is an ARTICLE on Muvipix, where the poster had major issues with EncoreDVD 2.0 on Vista.

John T. Smith, a contributor to this, and other Adobe fora, has posted a link to a liquidation software site, that has/had older versions of Encore. I am looking for that link now. I thought that I had bookmarked it, but cannot find it.

More - later,

Good luck, and do read the Muvipix article, if you have Vista as your OS,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Closed Captions
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Raj,

Here is the URL for that software site. It appears that they do not have EncoreDVD 2.0 available right now, but you might want to check with them, in case their site is not up to date on the versions that they have in stock. I have to point out that I have never used this site, so I cannot vouch for the software being legit in any way.

If you find a copy, say on eBay, take care to check out the software and the seller very, very closely. A large percentage of software on eBay is not legit, and is a pirated version, usually burned from the real program's installation disc, with a key-gen program to try and register it. This usually fails, even if the software will install. I'd contact Adobe with a question on the S/N of that program, to see if it has ever been registered/Activated.

As of about EncoreDVD 1.5, the software must be Activated with Adobe to function (forget the exact version when Activation was started, but 2.0 was definitely one). Most of the bogus software on eBay cannot be Activated, and often actually contains malware. Be careful - very careful if you go that route.

As many users had EncoreDVD 2.0 as a stand-alone (last version that was released so), and then moved to PrPro CS3, where Encore CS3 was included, if they had a license for just EncoreDVD 2.0, they could legally sell that copy, so long as they have deactivted it on their installations. The seller has to fill in some paperwork with Adobe, but they make that process very easy with a few FAX'es, and all will be legal. Just make sure that your seller has filled in those forms FIRST! Otherwise, any $ will be ill-spent and probably lost forever.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - with the exception of the enhanced Adobe Dynamic Link to both PrPro and AE, EncoreDVD 2.0 is the same as CS3 & CS4, so it is still great software. I just wish that Adobe would re-release it as a stand-alone. They would virtually corner the DVD authoring market, because of its power and versitility.

• 11. Re: Closed Captions
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj and Hunt,

Is Encore DVD 2 software or whatever the latest version is available as a standalone tryout? If so, I would encourage Raj to try it. It would be the ideal situation, tryout first, purchase afterward as indicated.

There seems to be differences of opinions  on this Encore DVD 2 software in the following link as compared to that cited at another web site. I find rave reviews online in contrast to what has been suggested in Hunt's previous post.

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/reviews.html

But, his softwares of choice seem to be in the Pro product line, so maybe he will explain further.

Check it out.

ATR

• 12. Re: Closed Captions
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Is Encore DVD 2 software or whatever the latest version is available as a standalone tryout? If so, I would encourage Raj to try it. It would be the ideal situation, tryout first, purchase afterward as indicated.

As EncoreDVD 2.0 is now 3 versions old, and the last version sold as a stand-alone, I doubt that there is a trial version anywhere now. In the trials of PrPro CS3 & CS4, Encore was disabled, as there is zero MPEG support in those trials for licensing reasons - hence no DVD authoring available. Due to this, as of EncoreDVD 2.0, there has not been any trial of Encore.

As far as rave reviews for EncoreDVD 2.0, I've given plenty over the years. I love that program and with 1500+ DVD's burned and delivered, I have had zero returns, and only one error message - that was due to OE on my part. The program has been 100% stable, and I have used it exclusively for all of my DVD authoring.

The reason that I linked to that Muvipix article was because of the potential for a conflict between EncoreDVD 2.0 and Vista. It was certified for XP only and never Vista. If Raj has Vista, I did not want him to buy a copy of EncoreDVD 2.0, if he could find one, only to not be able to use it with Vista.

IIRC, several users did install and run it, when Vista came out. That was before the Adobe forum changeover, so those articles are all gone now - no way to check back to those days.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Closed Captions
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj

In spite of all the talk about Encore DVD 2, what about the following instead which comes with a lot of details, etc.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic314307.html

Anyone have any experience with this DVD lab Pro for Closed Caption for video? Sounds interesting. Have not tried it.

Comments?

ATR

• 14. Re: Closed Captions
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know about its use for CC work, but it is highly thought of by some on the Encore forum. I know that Neil Wilkes (one of the MOD's and a valued contributor) has used it, and I think that Jeff Bellune (another MOD and valued contributor and noted author) has also used it. It is priced pretty well, against the old Encore.

It does offer cell-based programing for DVD-Video, which is a level up from Encore. Some have been less than enamored with the interface, but there is a newer version now.

Given the good reviews, by Encore users, I would definitely research it. Unfortunately, I have not used it, so cannot comment directly.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Closed Captions
                                      rajsangeet Level 1

Dear Hunt and ATR,

A lot of great information here, I am kind of overwhelmed. I have about 9 or 10 chapter in this video and I downloaded the trial version of DVD-Lab Pro. They insist that I try first than buy it, so I will do that. I do have access to Vista and XP PCs, not only that I have an older version of Premiere 6.0. Do you think that might have Encore built in? Am I better of using that Vs Pre7 anyways? Thank you for all the helpful links, very helpful indeed.

Raj

• 16. Re: Closed Captions
                                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere 6.0 is nearly 10 years old and pre-dates the home-burned DVD era. It certainly does not have Encore bundled with it.

What software you do use depends on how much of a dealbreaker your closed captions are.

• 17. Re: Closed Captions
                                          rajsangeet Level 1

Dear Steve,

I shouldn't really matter much, I could always run a lower third caption. It may be little annoying for students though and media may not consider it professional enough, well I guess then it does matter. Thanks for the info on Premiere 6.

Raj

• 18. Re: Closed Captions
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj

I have been away on business and just saw your more recent comments.

Right now I think that you should rule in or out the use of DVD Lab Pro for your closed caption project. It looks like that is the most promising avenue to success??

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic314307.html

The bonus is that the above link, that I previously posted, comes with a complete how to for that closed caption with DVD Lab Pro.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 19. Re: Closed Captions
                                              rajsangeet Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the link. I have saved it as a word file so I have it for the future. Thanks to all for helping me through this.

Raj