7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?

nealeh Level 5

In the discussion "How do I trim original clips?" there is some discussion about trimming clips and exporting those trimmed clips for later use.

At the moment I am converting VCR footage to DVD so am ending up with a single three hour AVI. Smart tagging then breaks this down into scenes for me making it easy to delete crud, trim noise from the beginning/end of a scene and rearrange the playing order.

But it is a real dog to edit - even though I have a Quad Core processor, fast graphics, plenty of RAM and a source MPG file that PrEl7 conforms perfectly.

Might this be because each clip refers to a segment of one big AVI? Might it enhance performance if I was to break the big AVI into lots of little ones, or is it just that a three hour video is going to crawl whatever the clip source size?

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It definitely would go easier (and more efficiently) if you went directly from VCR to DV-AVI and left the move the DVD out of the middle. That would certainly remedy your dogging -- especially if they were a lot of shorter AVIs rather than one, big three-hour one!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Aside from the need for more resources to edit the MPEG-2 files, a bigger reason to go the DV-AVI Type II route is the quality. You are starting with VHS material, so it's not the best to start with. During capture, if you're compressing to MPEG-2, and then having to recompress to MPEG-2 to burn to DVD-Video, you have stripped much of the quality.

I do a lot of VHS to DVD-Video production and capture to DV-AVI Type II. This edits smoothly. Though I use PrPro, I've had up to 17 hours of captured VHS footage in one Project with no issues, and my workstation is but an older dual Core2 3.25GHz unit.

What is your exact workflow for the A-D capture from VHS? Can you Save_As DV-AVI Type II? If so, you will be way ahead on two counts.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
              nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

It definitely would go easier (and more efficiently) if you went directly from VCR to DV-AVI

My analog/digital converter works with Magix Movies on DVD. Since joining these forums I've learnt a whole lot of info, especially those about the DV-AVI format. At the moment I'm working on older imports (brought in as MPEG) but my future workflow will be:

1. Import to Movies on DVD using MXV-DVD (a Magix proprietary high quality format)
              2. Export from Movies on Demand to DV-AVI
              3. Process in Premiere Elements

The only thing I'll need to play around with is the clip splitting - as both Movies on DVD and Premiere Elements have splitting/export functionality. My feeling is that I'll probably do it in Elements and just leave Movies on DVD to provide the analog/digital bridge (a big shame that PrEl7 doesn't import directly from analog).

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I've not used this Magix product, though have several of their Audio editing programs and also MovieEdit Pro. I assume that it also comes with a hardware capture card, or physical bridge of some sort.

I am surprised that it does not offer a Save_As to DV-AVI Type II, though there are many capture software programs that do not.

I understand the use of the MPEG files, if you have already done a capture of many tapes already. You will be impressed in the output quality differences, when you can eliminate that step. Even with some very old VHS tapes, stored in the Arizona heat for decades, with a bit of Levels and Fast Color Corrector work (Effects in PrPro), the DVD-Videos look quite good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
                  nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

What is your exact workflow for the A-D capture from VHS?

See my reply to Steve. I'm using the Magix analog/digital converter (device manager identifies this as "MAGIXUSB-Videowandler 2").

the_wine_snob wrote:

Can you Save_As DV-AVI Type II?

Not sure about the type, but some test footage exported from Movies on Demand as DV-AVI loaded directly into Premiere Elements and did not have to go through the Media Conforming step. The Magix export screen looks like this (being in UK I use PAL):

MoD_Export.jpg

In view of both your comments I'm going to get the VCR tapes back and start again! Of course the most frustrating thing is that the VCR's were probably created from Camcorder tape in the first instance and would be degraded by their first transfer to VCR - c'est la vie!

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
                    nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

I am surprised that it does not offer a Save_As to DV-AVI Type II,

Been playing around a bit (although at 00:55 I'd be better off in bed). Amcap recognises the Magix dongle and saves as "Microsoft AVI" - is that likely to be type II?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Re Performance: One big, or lots of little, AVI's?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      the most frustrating thing is that the VCR's were probably created from Camcorder tape in the first instance and would be degraded by their first transfer to VCR

Yes, this can be an issue. Fortunately, direct digital copies have eliminated this generational loss.

In my cases, all VHS tapes were camera-originals, though some were shot LP and a few even on EP - ugly in its original form, but one works with what one has.

I believe that a recapture would be worth the effort. Even on a large job, I'd do that too. For me, it would just be the RT capture, as I already have the shot logs filled in, so I could start it, and forget it for an hour, or so.

Good luck, and please let us know if you are satisfied with the difference and the results.

Hunt