12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 8:49 PM by A.T. Romano

Change project settings?

Haacko Level 1

Hope somebody can help.  I have almost completed a project in Photoshop Premier Elements version 8.  I have foolishly selected a HD project setting instead of just widescreen.  The end result is that my photos are too small (1600*900)  when I want to add movement to them.  Is it possible to change the project settngs at this late stage?

Alternatively, is it possible to import this project into a new one with the correct settings?

Tony

• 1. Re: Change project settings?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Haacko

I would strongly advised you to start the project over again, using the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Widescreen and your photos 1600 x 900. But............

The generalization about changing project preset (new project dialog) is you cannot. But, it was shown in Premiere Elements 7 that you could change a project preset set for DV Standard to DV Widescreen (and vice versa) after the fact, by:

Saving the project .prel and then right clicking the saved project .prel and selecting Open With = WordPad to get at the project .prel document to modify certain parameters. I have done the above, and it does work. But going into the project .prel document should not be attempted if you do not know your way around such a document.

Another approach is copying the Timeline and pasting it into the Timeline of a new project prel with the appropriate project preset. Many have tried ClipMate for this purpose in earlier versions and reported issues with the copy/paste process for audio and transitions. I looked into this recently to find out for myself if this worked or not. I have found it does work for Premiere Elements 8 for video, audio, effects, and transitions. Below is a copy/paste of the report on this that I posted in my Premiere Elements 8 First Look Thread here.

Premiere Elements 8: First Look, Using with ClipMate Software

ClipMate and Copying Timeline between Premiere Elements Projects

Summary. I have found that use of ClipMate DOES works consistently for copying Timeline (video/audio/effects/transitions) for Premiere Elements 8. In contrast, with earlier versions, such as 2, 4, and 7, the copying/pasting process will handle video/audio/effects, but NOT transitions. How to details for ClipMate 7.3 and Premiere Elements 8 are given below.

Workaround by Peter F. Duke and user comments, posted in 2007

Using Clipmate to copy and paste between projects

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390807

Muvipix Community thread chat, posted Aug 2009

Copying timeline between projects

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6001

I take away from online comments such as those cited above that ClipMate use for copying Timeline between Premiere Elements projects has problems in the copying of audio and transitions. In the Duke link, he suggests a workaround for the audio issue, but not one for the loss of transitions in the copying/pasting. Some may go as far to say the process works for “Premiere Elements”, but does so only sometimes and without rhyme nor reason. So, I decided to download a tryout of ClipMate 7.3 and see for myself what was going on in this matter.

http://www.thornsoft.com/download.htm

1. Open ClipMate 7.3 and leave it open.

2. Then open your saved Premiere Elements 8 project .prel whose Timeline you want to copy to another new project .prel.

3. In Premiere Elements 8, Edit Menu/Select All, Edit Menu/Copy. Minimize the Premiere Elements 8’s workspace to see the ClipMate 7.3 workspace.

4. In ClipMate 7.3, Edit Menu/Capture Special. That will bring up the Capture Special dialog.

5. In the Capture Special dialog, you should find just two options for check marks. Make sure that there is a check mark next to “Premiere Elements OSClipboard Format” as well as “Premiere Exchange”, and then click OK.

6. You should then see an entry for your copy in the ClipMate list which includes: Title, Sort Key, Date/Time, Size, Source. The source should say “ADOBE PREMIER…”, not WINDOWS. Highlight that entry.

7. Go back and Maximize Premiere Elements 8 project .prel which has the material that you copied. To create the new project .prel to paste into, go to the File Menu of this current project.prel/New/Project. (I clicked Yes to the Save message that followed, just in case…). After setting up the new project dialog for the new project .prel, I was now in the new project .prel’s workspace.

8. IMPORTANT: Using minimizing and maximizing windows, go back and make sure that the ClipMate entry for the copy is highlighted. Then with the Premiere Elements 8 again maximized, go to the Premiere Elements 8 Edit Menu and select Paste Insert. The job is done, video, audio, transitions, and effects wise.

Check it out and see if you found what I observed.

If you have any questions about any of the above, please let me know. The above are my observations and what works for me.

ATR

(Hunt, if you can find time, try the ClipMate out with Premiere Elements 8).

• 2. Re: Change project settings?
            Haacko Level 1

Thank you.

I am a hobby user.  I have scaled the photos to get around the problem?

What are the dangers of doing this?  I could buy the Clipmate software -

however it is hopefully a one off.

I also have a mix of video in the project.

…”, not WINDOWS. Highlight that entry.

7. Go back and Maximize Premiere Elements 8 project .prel which has the

material that you copied. To create the new project .prel to paste into, go

to the File Menu of this current project.prel/New/Project. (I clicked Yes to

the Save message that followed, just in case…). After setting up the new

project dialog for the new project .prel, I was now in the new project

...prel’s workspace.

8. IMPORTANT: Using minimizing and maximizing windows, go back and make sure

that the ClipMate entry for the copy is highlighted. Then with the Premiere

Elements 8 again maximized, go to the Premiere Elements 8 Edit Menu and

select Paste Insert. The job is done, video, audio, transitions, and effects

wise.

Check it out and see if you found what I observed.

If you have any questions about any of the above, please let me know. The

above are my observations and what works for me.

ATR

(Hunt, if you can find time, try the ClipMate out with Premiere Elements 8).

• 3. Re: Change project settings?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Haacko

Think about the project preset (new project dialog) as a template from which to edit your video. That setting does not prohibit you from selecting a different export type. It is the export settings that will determine the properties of the export. But how your Timeline will look in the standardized format of the end product is another story.

If you leave unchecked "Default Scale to Frame Size" (Edit Menu/Preferences/General), that leaves a path for you to use Properties Palette/Motion Panel and its Scale properties without the program automatically scaling your Timeline to match the frame size of the project preset. You are dealing with non ideal conditions when you mismatch the source media properties with those of the project preset editing template. But, when you are trying to salvage a project, you could explore and experiment to see if you can get acceptable video for viewing, that being, for DVD-VIDEO (NTSC) widescreen 720 x 480 with a 16:9 flag for stretching of video for display after encoding. If the exploring and experimenting does not work, you start over.

ATR

• 4. Re: Change project settings?
                Haacko Level 1

ATR - many thanks - I have started again and must admit - second time around

I am a lot quicker. 

Also, your hint re (unchecked "Default Scale to Frame Size") - I had looked

for this before - now obvious - I have made the change - very good. 

Again - thanks for taking time to help.

Tony

• 5. Re: Change project settings?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

When you have your Project setup, as you want it, should you need to resize your stills to match, this ARTICLE should give you some tips on doing it easily. Note that most of the actual dimensions used are for SD Projects, so you will need to do some math. Also, with regards to panning on a zoomed out image, you will need to approximately calculate the necessary movement. For such, I measure the exact movement required, and size to that, even if it means doing some images separately, and the bulk through batch resizing. I try to keep my still images as close to the necessary dimensions, as I can, because I am much more a fan of using the algorithms in PS, than allowing Pr to do it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Change project settings?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

The issue presented was not that of oversized photos and how to resize them individually or batch-wise to accomodate the project .prel project preset and export plans. It started out with a user who had incorrectly set for a HD project, did not have HD source media, wanted to export as DVD Video standard or widescreen without opening a new project with the correct project preset. So, I am not clear where resizing still images came into play here. Your article and others

http://www.coremediadesign.co.uk/web_design_tutorials/photoshop_tutorials/photoshop_batch_ automate_function.html

have reminded users of the use of actions to get more easily that batch resizing job done. Those are great contributions.

In addition, Robert Johnston posted an approach to resizing oversized images to 1000 x 750 in Premiere Elements 3 or 4.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2029&p=16698&hilit=+resizing+photos#p16698

I need to try it to see how it works and if it worked in versions later than Premiere Elements 4.

ATR

• 7. Re: Change project settings?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Please refer to reply #2, specifically:

I am a hobby user.  I have scaled the photos to get around the problem?

My recommendation was to add a potential workflow improvement for future Projects, where resizing was needed. That is why I prefaced my post with "When you have your Project setup, as you want it, should you need to resize your stills to match... " Obviously, resizing did play a role at some point and might well again. It was for that situation, that I posted the link - no other reason. Now, should the OP never need to resize a still image, then the link is of no use. Should the need arise, then it will likely be and can save time, while preserving the greatest quality.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Change project settings?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Have you been watching the progress of the Patriots today. Take a look.

Back to business...will not labor the point, I will just send a big thank you for the details and taking the time to point out how to details for immediate or future use when indicated.

I am still battling the elusive "Edit button". I wanted to add a note to my previous post in which I mentioned Robert Johnston's approach to resizing oversized photos in Premiere Elements 3 or 4. I was aware of his technique and the downloadable presets for using them, but had never tried it ever. This afternoon I decided to give it a first hand look.  I just cannot get that to work in my Premiere Elements 4. I need to define if the problem is me or the technique. So, for now, this note here will have to do for alerting users that I have not confirmed from personal experience the technique's use in Premiere Elements 4 as well as in later versions.

ATR

• 9. Re: Change project settings?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Have you been watching the progress of the Patriots today. Take a look.

Actually, I was caught up with the Saints (my old "home team"), which my local Fox network decided to replace with "paid programing," and then the Cardinals (now my "home team.") Tomorrow night, I'll be watching my Denver Broncos (lived there for 20 years, and pulled for them well before - hey, the Saints were NFL and the Broncos AFL (now NFC & AFC). Also, I went to school with Eli's dad, Archie, at Ole Miss, so it was almost a win-win for me. Also, I almost always pull for anybody playing the old Houston Oilers (nee TN Titans), because of some of their earlier games against the Saints - they were not nice in any way, and always seemed to have the Saints' number, just like Atlanta.

Now, we were looking at a trip to Boston, and maybe I'm glad that it got moved to Washington, DC, 'cause I have become aclimatized to AZ, and it's been 12 years, since I lived in a lot of snow...

I think that I was the one, who killed your edit button - sorry about that.

I've seen Robert Johnson's post on Muvipix, but have to admit that I have never tried his method. As I have spent about the last 20 years in Photoshop, I always grab it first, when I have any image processing to be done. I'll go though Robert's post in detail and see how it works for me.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Change project settings?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for taking a look at Robert Johnston's procedure for resizing oversized photos right in Premiere Elements.

It was a snowy day in Foxborough and Boston, MA today. And, it is only October 18th. In spite of the messy playing conditions, the Patriots beat down the Tennessee Titans 59 to 0. Next Sunday they will be playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in London England. Do you think that they could hire a plane to fly over the stadium there to drop a lot of snow?

I am looking forward to your results with Robert's procedure. I am going to give it one more try with my Premiere Elements 4. I do not have Premiere Elements 3.

ATR

• 11. Re: Change project settings?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Next Sunday they will be playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in London England. Do you think that they could hire a plane to fly over the stadium there to drop a lot of snow?

We were just in London. One of our Sky networks has gone entirely to the NFL, so we got quite a bit of NFL chatter. This upcoming game was center-stage. Seems that the NFL has become a big hit, even with the World Cup coverage.

Not sure about the snow, though they did have more last Winter, than at anytime in history - maybe a repeat?

It will be interesting to hear the reports of both the UK attendance plus the UK TV audience.

Since I am not a Tampa Bay fan (their first win was against Archie Manning and the Saints!), Go Patriots!!!!!!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Change project settings?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have finally shoveled off the Northeast snow from my brain and have gotten Robert Johnston's procedure for Resizing Oversized Photos to work in Premiere Elements 4 and 7. In Premiere Elements 8, there is no way to do his procedure as he described it. But, the bonus was that I discovered that you do not need his procedure and downloaded presets in Premiere Elements 8. You can effectively do this resizing with the new Image export, Share/Personal Computer/Image. How many at a time needs study. Amazing.

In the following the goal was resizing to 1000 x 750 .tiff as per Robert Johnston's original work with Premiere Elements 3 and 4.

Premiere Elements 8.

Barring any computer resource issues, bring your oversized photos into Premiere Elements 8 (project preset new project dialog = NTSC DV Standard) via its Get Media/Files and Folders. Drag them to Timeline. Then Share/Personal Computer/Image. Set preset at TIFF NTSC SD. Put a check mark next to Share WorkArea Bar Only. Under the Advance button:

a. Change width to 1000 and height to 750.

b. Put a check mark next to "Export As Sequence"

Save (the save is to a new folder that you created beforehand to house the resized photos...I saved to this folder that I created on the Desktop)

Premiere Elements 4 and 7

You download Robert Johnston instructions and ready made presets from the link given previously. The presets are named

NTSC - Resize Photos to 1000 x 750.prexport

and

PAL - Resize Photos to 1000 x 750.prexport

Next go the route Documents & Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\4.0 or 7.0\Settings\Custom and create a folder (I called it Johnston Files) to place in the Custom Folder. Then place Robert Johnston's two .prexport files in the Johnston Files folder and close out of there.

Open Premiere Elements 4 or 7 (project preset new project dialog = NTSC DV Standard) and get your oversized photos to the Project View Media because you need the Create Slideshow feature, and it is available only in the Project View Media. Highlight all the oversized photo files in the Project View Media that you are going to resize. Then right click anywhere in the highlight and select Create Slideshow. In the Create Slideshow dialog, set the Slide Image Duration to 1 frame and uncheck "Apply Default Transition." When you click OK in this dialog, the photos (slideshow) are automatically placed on the Timeline. You will not see them because they are only 1 frame each. You need to expand the Timeline all the way to see them. Make sure the WorkArea Bar tabs are set to span these photos (slideshow).

Then go to the File Menu/Export/Movie and head for the Settings Tab in the dialog. Then in Settings:

a. Change the Range from Entire Timeline to WorkArea Bar

b. Go over to the bottom left corner of the dialog to where it has two tabs, one named Load and one named Save

c. Click Load. In the dialog that opens: Look In: Johnston Files. File Name: NTSC Resize Photos to 1000 x 750.prexport. Files of type: Export Settings Files (*.prexport). If you want to Save that load, click the Save immediately next to Load. Then hit the Save button (toward the right) of the dialog and follow dialogs to Export (Save). In this process you designated the save location to be a new named folder on the Desktop for your Tiff photos each with a sequential number and each 1000 x 750 pixels.

My main hang up with the latter procedure was that I was looking for Robert Johnston presets to appear with the project presets (new project dialog). Whereas the folder that I created in the Custom Folder was there, his two .prexport were not there. Nonetheless, it worked as described to get the desired result.

Anyway, that is how it all worked for me.

I would probably opt to do this resizing in Photoshop Elements, but I need to think about that some more.

ATR