8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 5:15 AM by JETalmage

Renaming layers

M0man Level 1

Does anyone know of a way or a script to rename all the layers in an illustrator file?

• 1. Re: Renaming layers
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You can ask on the scripting forum as well, but I believe it is not possible.

• 2. Re: Renaming layers
            Aarmed Level 1

Man do I hate layers in Illustrator.  Everything is automatically layered to start, and aside from the extremely infrequent file that's deserved of layers, most just add possible problems.

Bottom line, 99% of the time layers are not ever needed in Illustrator.

• 3. Re: Renaming layers
              M0man Level 1

Yeah, I need them though.

• 4. Re: Renaming layers
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You an turn the option to put everything on an item in the layers 

panel by choosing to show layers only

The paths are not layers just separate paths displayed on the layers 

panel I works like any other vector program in this case

the user, as experience a professional as you might be is 

misunderstanding the basic concept of the way vectors are working and 

the way in which

Illustrator offers you an advantage in selecting art and applying 

effects to it.

With this feature of the layers panel it allows you to apply effects 

to objects, groups and tot he layer itself. With a simple click.

True there are many things about the layers panel that need revision 

like a search by name or groups, but it is pretty worth having the 

ability.

At any rate go to the flyout menu of the layers Panel and show layers 

only.

Dont't confuse the display of the paths and groups as layers, they are 

not on separate layers and they are not layers nor can a path be a 

layer though it can be on it's own layer by itself.

Illustrator is just giving you another way of selecting a path and to 

tell you whether or not the effect is on the layer or the path or a 

group or if there is no effect.

• 5. Re: Renaming layers
                  M0man Level 1

Haha, No no, I understand everything perfectly fine, I simply have 50 odd frames of animation separated onto individual layers that I need to export to individual frames.

• 6. Re: Renaming layers
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

File>Export to Flash with the option AI Layers to Frames. Or bring it 

into Photoshop as layers and in the time make layers to frames.

You know you might actually want to state what you are talking about 

and of course you no Illustrator as of yet has no time line.

You can do animations with Illustrator but it is not the best place, 

flash or After Effects would be much better.

• 7. Re: Renaming layers
                      M0man Level 1

Yeah, I'm exporting into toon boom, I just realised exporting as flash would probably fit my needs quite well, Thank you.

• 8. Re: Renaming layers
                        JETalmage Level 6
                        Does anyone know of a way or a script to rename all the layers in an illustrator file?

Rename them what? According to what criteria?

JET