10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 2:03 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere CS4 looses its memory

Philipp'68

My Premiere CS4 (4.1.0.) sometimes looses its "memory" of the last opened project - meaning that at the opening screen, when usualy the last project is offered to be opened again, there are no projects anymore. So I have to go over the button "open project". That wouldn't be a big deal but there are other things which are lost too, as example the keyboard settings and sometimes some already used files were be analyzed newly (e.g. mp3 files).

Has anyone any idea what could be the cause of this behaviour? Strangely the phenomenon does not always occur but I have not find out yet, when it occurs and when not. Any idea?

Thanks for your help!

PS: working with vista64bit, SP2, working on a WD-Velociraptor-system-HD and my projects on a RAID-10 with 4 HD, 8GB DDR-2 RAM, CPU Quad9550

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Likely you're using different user accounts to launch Pr, or your personal data store folders are getting moved/deleted/corrupted.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
            Andrey V Level 2

This is really strange situation, But it could be that there is a soft utilities that clean up disks.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              at the opening screen, when usualy the last project is offered to be opened again, there are no projects anymore.

This is basically a function of Windows, through its Recent Documents and the File Type Associations, being .PRPROJ associated with PrPro.

There could also be a setting in Edit>Preferences for "remembering" last X Projects. Such a switch exists in PS, and I cannot recall if it can be set in PrPro. I'll go check. In PS, you can set this from 0 to about the last 10 (?) images.

Going back to the first sentence, how is Windows doing with other programs, like Word, PS, etc. Is it giving you the list of Recent Documents/Files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
                SFL46 Level 3

By any chance, have you remapped "MY DOCUMENTS" to a different location than where windows typically puts it (e.g., like a network drive)?  I found from experience that this will not always work with Premiere.  I'd change my preferences and the next time I booted those setting weren't there.  When I re-mapped MY DOCUMENTS back to the default location, the problems disappeared. I suspect that Premiere must be hardcoded to the specific default location of MY DOCUMENTS when doing a read rather than following the mapping I established (which was being written to).  The most "recent files" is saved by default in MY DOCUMENTS.  

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
                  Phil'68

Thanks everybody for your help and your suggestions.

@Jeff - no, I'm always logged in with the same account - and I'm also the only user on the machine - so I don't think this is the reason.

@AndreyV - possible, but as far as I know, I don't have any cleaning tools working in the background

@ the_wine_snob - I don't think, that it's a problem of Windows, because all other applications run properly - the last opened word and excel documents are always remembered normaly, so I think...

@SFL46' suggestion could be the cause of my problem  - in fact I do have the folder "my documents" (and in it the PP.prproj-files) at a diffrent location than Windows Vista usually puts it. I moved it to my RAID-drives (instead of the system drive c where usually the "user"-folders are located). I never had any problems with PP CS3 or the earlier versions, but that could be the reason of this behaviour (specially because PP doesn't always looses the last opened documents). I will move the prproj-files to the user-folder on the system drive and will report my experience here.

Thanks!

Phil

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory

I wonder if it's RAID-related.  If your RAID controller supports auto-rebuild, the RAID may occassionally rebuild itself. If/when that happens, Pr may think it's seeing a different drive.

But that's just stab in the dark.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeff,

I wonder if it's RAID-related.  If your RAID controller supports auto-rebuild, the RAID may occassionally rebuild itself. If/when that happens, Pr may think it's seeing a different drive.

Rebuilding a raid3/5/6/10/30/50/60 does not change the drive letter, it will only slow down the response.

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        @ the_wine_snob - I don't think, that it's a problem of Windows, because all other applications run properly - the last opened word and excel documents are always remembered normaly, so I think...

Thanks for the report. It would appear that my guess was wrong, as confirmed by other apps. seeing the Recent Documents.

Back to the drawingboard...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory

I know it doesn't change the letter, but what if it alters the

underlying file structure enough to trigger some difference threshold

that Pr looks for?

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Premiere CS4 looses its memory
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Rebuilding a raid3/5/6/10/30/50/60 does not change the drive letter, it will only slow down the response.

And with a RAID 3 (and I assume 30), that slow down should be minimal and not affect much at all.