7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 10:15 PM by Mylenium

After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render

jasondrey13

Hey,

I am running After Effects 9.0.2 on a maxed out MacBook Pro- Processor 3.06 Core 2 Duo, Memory 8GB, Mac OS X 10.5.8- and my memory settings are extremely conservative- no multi-processing, plenty of RAM for AE, 4 GB left over. I can wait a little longer if it helps prevent a hang, but nothing helps.

No matter what processing settings I try, After Effects stops responding and the cursor "animates" on a certain frame (894). I have isolated renders to only a few frames around this frame, and I have tried all previous trouble shooting again, still nothing. It seems like the AdobeCrashDaemon isn't picking up on the hang, because I have not been able to submit anything to Adobe, I have received no error messages, and I have to Force Quit the application manually.

I am fairly sure it is because of this frame, as I have changed the compostions frame rate a few different times, and it still hangs at or close to this place.

Composition Information:

1200px x 900px 4:3

Square Pixels
      30 FPS

frame 894:
      large CC Particle World

some ramps

15 or so 3D layers; many are text

motion blur

camera movement through 3D space to different titles

1 wav soundtrack

lots of glow effects

I'm trying to render out with the "Loseless" settings- Quicktime Movie etc, and added audio (default settings). I have also tried several other outputs to no avail.

I have tried purging frames every 30, and many different RAM, OpenGL, BPCs, and assorted configurations. Nothing works. I can't get any kind error message either, I tried logging the render per frame, and I tried ignoring errors in the secrets menu so they would be logged, still nothing. Any Tips?

I'm pretty new to After Effects, so let me know if I need to include anything else; the project file is attached. Most of the project is generated, and I'm not sure if I'm legally able to post the other sources, so its only the project file. Maybe someone can check and see if it's just my setup? I sampled the process too- not that I can make sense of it, but maybe someone at Adobe can.

Thanks,

Jason

PS: This TSA (the Technology Student Association) is not affiliated with those people that make you throw away your Coke before getting on a plane, so it's ok to help me.

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But have you checked the source materials? If a render hangs at a specific frame, then 99.9% of the time it is because a source frame cannot be retrieved. In your case, the WAV file makes a good candidate, but otehrs may apply as well. Please open those external files in another editor and od a Save As... to get a clean file structure without any potentially offending damaged regions. The only other thing could be disk space shortage, eiuther due to realyl running out of free disk areas or your file being saved to a file system that does not support file sizes beyond a certain mark. E.g. external disks formatted with FAT are typical candidates for this...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
            jasondrey13 Level 1

Thanks for your answer; I "saved as" all the source files in my project from external editors, and replaced footage of the old files with the new ones- still not cooperating. I also tried to save it to another directory, just in case that was a problem, but everything has the same effect. I cannot even render this portion of my composition to an image seqeunce. It cuts off at the same point.

Can the project be rendered on another machine? The file is attached above. I cannot even render this without external source files.

Am I jsut terribly unlucky or has anyone here ever had a similar problem?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
              jasondrey13 Level 1

Just a quick update, I changed the render settings to half resolution and it rendered all the way out without a problem. So I think the high definition may be causing some sort of problem with memory usage, but I should have far more than enough free memory to render such a low-intensity clip. When After Effects hangs I always have plenty of leftover memory. Is their some way I can allow After Effects to use more than 3 GB (1.79 for render)?

• 4. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
                jasondrey13 Level 1

I just tried disabling the layer cache and purging every 5 frames, and the render still stopped at that same frame. Its telling me I have used 5% of my 3GB allocated for After Effects, so I think we can rule out memory as the source of this problem.

• 5. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When you say "large CC Particle World", you made me wonder if maybe that was part of the problem. Particle systems can be quite resource-intensive to render. I'd try decreasing the number of particles (or even turning that effect off) temporarily to see if that's the crux of the problem.

• 6. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
                    jasondrey13 Level 1

Thank you, that seems to be the problem.

I still have no idea as to why it is suddenly to much for the render at that specific frame, I have a feeling it is because the camera makes a slightly more severe pan/rotation than before that point that might be revealing more particles and causing the plug-in to work through calculations for the majority of the entire particle system. I think I will try to pre-render just the particle system in my final output. I may have to make several similar particle systems with lower particle counts to simulate the larger system. It is a little disappointing though that it can't handle a birthrate of 80 and longevity of 15. 1200 particles seems relatively small for this kind of problem, but at least I can find a way to render all this work.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Jason

• 7. Re: After Effects CS4 hangs on certain frame every render
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't think the overall particle count is the problem. This may be more a case of either the particle "world" becoming too large and hitting some sort of internal limit or something with its internal forces. It's definitely a bug of some sort, so if you can provide the project in a stripped down form, we can investigate.

Mylenium