3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 10:25 PM by Mylenium

mp3 codec for mpeg2 format?

TazboTazboAT

Hello, do you think you can advise: I am using After Effects CS3. I need to produce a video - the requirements are as follows:

IT MUST BE AN MPEG2 FILE, FOLLOWING THESE  SPECS:
      MPEG2 (2:2:0)
      • Window Size: 720x480
      • Frame Rate: 30 FPS (other  frame rates will severely affect quality and not recommended)
      • Video  Bitrate: 8 Mbps video constant bitrate.
      • Video Codec: MPEG Layer 2
      •   Audio Bitrate: 320 kbps audio
      Audio Codec: MP3 (44kHz stereo)
      •  Multiplexed (Muxed)

but when I want to render my project - there is no such option "mp3 audiocodec" for MPEG2 format. Am I missing something?

Also - even though my composition is set to 720 x 480 and I am renderig it using the same settings - when I play it in Windows Media PLayer - it is displayed at different dimensions (640 x 480). What am I supposed to modify to comply with the above requirements (720x480)?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: mp3 codec for mpeg2 format?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm honestly not sure what the above specs are supposed to do. There is no such thing as MP3 support on DVDs, which it what it seems to aim for. There is support for MPEG-1 audio, but nobody ever uses it. Multiplexing doesn't make sense, either. Whatever your client is requesting, is basically just introducing extra steps during actual creation of the DVD - the streams will be unmultiplexed, the audio converted to PCM (WAV) or AC3. also the framerate should be more properly 29,97 fps for NTSC. The rest is normal - DVDs have an anamorphic pixel aspect, so viewing these files without PAR correction makes them look like 640x480 px. There's really nothing wrong on the AE end, as per the previous statement, combining the audio in such a manner wouldn't be particularly useful, it's really your client wanting something that doesn't make much sense in the context he will probably be using it...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: mp3 codec for mpeg2 format?
            TazboTazboAT Level 1

Mylenium, THANK YOU for your answer. Well the thing is - we do not intend to put the video on DVD. Instead - they will produce FLV file of it AND (because we're talking about video for the online press release) according to them:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR VIDEO  AVAILABLE FOR MEDIA DOWNLOAD, IT MUST BE AN MPEG2 FILE,
            FOLLOWING THESE  SPECS:
            MPEG2 (2:2:0)
            • Window Size: 720x480
            • Frame Rate: 30 FPS (other  frame rates will severely affect quality and not recommended)
            • Video  Bitrate: 8 Mbps video constant bitrate.
            • Video Codec: MPEG Layer 2
            •   Audio Bitrate: 320 kbps audio
            • Audio Codec: MP3 (44kHz stereo)
            •  Multiplexed (Muxed)

(sorry for repeating the same info).

Does this make more sense to you now? Is it even possible to "multiplex" mp3 to mpeg2 format? There is good chance the video will not even have audio (but then AE produces m2v file) - but in case it will?

Thank you again for your time!

• 3. Re: mp3 codec for mpeg2 format?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, of course, on the most rudimentary stream level the actual data types do not matter, so anything can be multiplexed. You could even include your mom's cookie recipe Multiplexing merely refers to combining multiple types of data in sizeable chunks that can be decoded quickly one at a time without having to read the entire file first. It's geek stuff you norammly do not care about. Unfortunately, since Adobe's encoders only target specific outputmedia according to standardized specs, what you want to do is not possible. So your only chance would be to render a Quicktime file or otehr intermediate format and convert it elsewhere. ProCoder might be able to give you what you want as may be TMPEGEnc and Squeeze. They will require some experimentation, though, as they have no standard presets for what you need. It's really an odd combination. If you can, inquire if they cannot simply accept a H.264 file. Adobe tools output that with no problem.

Mylenium