9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 10:29 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items

BlueDevilfish Level 1

I have a project in which  I am unable to select or click on any items in the soundtrack. I can't select the audio clips in the soundtrack in any way ie can't right or left click them at all. I can't delete them, can't move them, can't alter the sound levels - basically there is nothing I can do to these items.

Any items that are not in the soundtrack work fine - I can select any video or audio clip as per normal. It seems to only be this particular project that I have a problem with since in another project that I am working on the soundtrack is behaving completely normally.

Never had this happen before - any ideas what is going on?

Thanks for any assistance.

• 1. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try adjusting the zoom level on the timeline and see if that unlocks things.

• 2. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the format of these Audio Clips?

Can you delete these Clips from the Project Panel? You should get a warning that they are used on the Timeline, and be able to click OK. What happens?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Blue Devilfish

What exactly is on the Soundtrack that you cannot work with? What is the source, audio format, file size, and duration of the audio file on that Soundtrack?

And are you saying that, if you took that exact same audio file and placed it on the Soundtrack of another new project, you have no problems with that audio file on the Soundtrack in the new project? In each case, problem project or new project, what is the size of the Timeline content? Are we dealing with one audio file on that Soundtrack or more than one. If more than one, please describe what else.

What are your computer resources...available RAM and free hard drive space? Where are your scratch files directed and is there enough free space there to house conformed audio?

Just some thoughts for now. Any questions about the comments, please ask.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                BlueDevilfish Level 1

Thanks Guys for the suggestions!

Steve:

- I tried altering the zooming up and down but unfortunately that didn't help

Wine Snob:

- there are 4 audio clips in the soundtrack, 3 of which have been generated using PE 7's Smart Sound. The other is just an MP3 file.

I did think about trying to delete them from the Project Panel but being a bit of a a "low end" computer user was a bit scared to try this in case it really mucked up the project. I suppose I could save a copy of the project under a different name so that I could play around with it and not do any harm to the original - does that sound feasible?

AT Romano:

- The source of the audio files is as stated above. They vary in length but the longest would only be a couple of minutes. My computer is running XP with 3G of RAM, 3 Ghz Intel processor, and it has 2 seperate 1 terabyte HDD's with plenty of available space.

In effect I had virtually completed this project about a month ago and everything was working fine back then. When I opened the project a couple of days ago to make a couple of minor changes the problem became apparent.

Yesterday I started a new project (a slide show of around 25 min duration) and have been able to work with items in the (lengthy) soundtrack freely - eg I have deleted, moved, and altered these clips as per the normal functionality I would expect.

The problem project is virtually completed and is good enough to be usable, I just want to put some minor finishing touches to tidy it up a bit. It is an important project which is to be used for a new Marine Education Centre. The project is to be shown publicly tomorrow night at a meeting to test out the newly installed projection and sound system. It is then to be screened at the official opening next Saturday. I had hoped to produce multiple copies of it before the official opening so that copies could be handed out to various stake holders and sponsors. As you could imagine I don't want to go public with a project that is not what I would regard as "perfect".

Thanks again,  Dave.

• 5. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

That plan to Save As the project with soundtrack issues under a different name and use the copy for troubleshooting sounds to me like a feasible plan of action. Just do not move any source media around on the hard drive (which I am sure that you will not).

ATR

• 6. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I did think about trying to delete them from the Project Panel but being a bit of a a "low end" computer user was a bit scared to try this in case it really mucked up the project. I suppose I could save a copy of the project under a different name so that I could play around with it and not do any harm to the original - does that sound feasible?

That is a great way to do it. If you do a Save_As, you will then be working in your new Project (your original one will be safe, unused and can be Opened fine, regardless of what changes you make in your Save_As, so long as you change the name to maybe [Project Name]_test.prel.

I've not seen any problems with SmartSound files and use it all of the time. MP3's can be problematic, but usually upon Import. Except for tiny SFX files, I always convert any MP3 to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, prior to Import. I use Adobe Audition, but the freeware, Audacity, can do it just fine.

Please let us know how the Delete from the Project Panel works. I'll be watching.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One thought on how to handle your current situation, and within the timeframe of your premier, would be to use another Audio Track for your "soundtrack," and add/edit your new soundtrack on that. Go to your Window>Audio Mixer, and Mute the Soundtrack Track. Just go with your new "soundtrack," on say Audio Track 3, or whatever. You can use the same Assets, where needed, and then add/edit others to suit.

There have been some odd behaviors cited with the Soundtrack Audio Track, and I am not sure what the underlying issues might be. Let's try to get your premier on schedule and then come back to the root cause of this issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                        BlueDevilfish Level 1

Okay...an update on my problem! I saved the project as a copy to protect the original. I then chose one of the Smart Sound clips and deleted it from the project - this worked okay and the clip disappeared off the soundtrack. Then miraculously the remaining tracks on the sound track became completely responsive again. I created a new Smart Sound music track to replace the deleted one and inserted it into Audio Track 2 rather than the soundtrack (just to play it safe). After that the other minor changes I wanted to make to the soundtrack were easy because everything was functioning normally again.

I still have no idea why this happened but I am very happy that my project is now just as I want it!

Thanks again to you guys for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Dave

• 9. Re: PE7 unable to select or click soundtrack items
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I still have no idea why this happened but I am very happy that my project is now just as I want it!

Dave,

The great news is that you are editing, and hopefully can meet your deadline.

The bad news is that I have no idea either, as to what happened to lock your Soundtrack Track.

There have been some posts on odditites with the Soundtrack Track, but I do not recall these being such as you describe. Also, many folk use SmartSound (I do for nearly every Project), so there should not be anything going on there. Going back to the early days of PrPro 2.0, there WAS a problem with the, then available QuickTracks for Premiere plug-in. The Waveform Disply could crash PrPro, if the Audio Track View was expanded. An update to the plug-in took care of this problem. That was some years ago, and other than issues with the QuickTracks for Premiere plug-in and PrPro CS4 (SmartSound is working on fixing this), there have been no other issues, of which I am aware.

Still, there is that "great news!!!!"

Good luck, and thanks for both experimenting and for reporting - happy editing!

Hunt