10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Should I upgrade to PE 8?

Sarahn51

I have windows vista and PE 7.  Other than the occassional not responding it is working fine for me.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only reason to ever upgrade is for the new features. Unless they're useful to you, stay with what you know works!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496335?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
            nealeh Level 5

A difficult question to answer! It depends very much what you wish the software to do. If v7 does everyting you wish, then stick with it rather than throwing money at Adobe. In general my personal policy for upgrading is to do so every other upgrade (so I'll probably jump from v7 to v9 next autumn).

The main v8 features that attract me are the 'Quick Fix' effect in Premiere and the enhanced 'Face Detection' in Photoshop. Against that though is the new organizer that does not appear too popular from what I read, and there seem to be more than usual bugs and performance issues.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
              Sarahn51 Level 1

Thanks as usual very helpful.  7 does what I want.  I don't use the organizer and most of the faces I work with are horses

• 4. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                Sarahn51 Level 1

Hi,

thanks,  I like 7, it works for me.  I don't use the organizer and most of the faces I deal with are equines.  Will take your advice and wait until 9 sarah

• 5. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Upgrading is to fix issues, or enhance one's editing experience, usually through a better workflow.

I have wrestled with upgrading my PrPro (my main NLE program). I've been using PrPro 2.0, since the release of the program. I also have it in the Production Studio suite, with AfterEffects, Encore and other programs. All works perfectly fine for me.

I skipped CS3, as it only enhanced HD editing and I only do SD for now. I had Encore, so there was little reason to upgrade to CS3.

I was poised to go with CS4, but then there were issues with it, so I waited and read. With the update to CS4.1, it seems that things have improved greatly, but then the only real benefit is increased AVCHD support and the ability to Import and directly edit .VOB (DVD-Video) material. I really do neither, and besides PrE 4 handles the same .VOB's, that CS4.1 just got. Still, no real reason to upgrade yet.

In the scheme of things, the only real benefit to me would be to go with the full suite, to get Photoshop Extended CS4.

My plan now is to wait for CS5 to be released, upgrade to a new workstation with 64-bit OS and much newer CPU's. This will probably be early 2010 for such a complete system and OS upgrade, plus PrPro.

Now, you have few problems, and the "Not Responding" could well be solved by something like this ARTICLE.

You have not found any new features for your normal editing.

I'd hold off, use PrE 7, and follow the threads on PrE 8 closely. If your editing workflow changes, you'll know if PrE 8 will benefit you.

Good luck in your decision,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                    Sarahn51 Level 1

Thanks I think I will hold off and watch the threads and most likely wait to 9.  I don't use the organizer (which I understand they have changed) and have imporved face rec on Photoshop which doesn't really apply to me since most of the faces I deal with are equine, no skin tones just a lot of hair

thanks as always  sarah

• 7. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sarahn51

Since I downloaded the tryouts of Photoshop Elements 8 Premiere Elements 8, I have been reporting on my Premiere Elements 8 First Look in a thread here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497028?tstart=30

Early on in the thread and before I could get into the heavy stuff,  Steve Grisetti posted something like "So, would you recommend an upgrade of not?" I responded to him that it was too early to tell. Well, I am almost at the end of the tryout and ready to put the wrapper on the First Look thread, and I still have not made up my mind. The answer is going to depend on the actual need for additional video editing features and the perceived need for having the latest version of a software. And, keep in mind that everyone has a different wish list for a new version. If you always wanted to be able to add transitions all at one time once the media was already on the Timeline, then Premiere Elements 8 is for you. That also applies to changing the duration of media on the Timeline all at one time once the media was already on the Timeline. That is a big deal for some. There are some new Smart Mix, Smart Fix, Auto-Analyzer, Background Rendering features that give the appearance of must have features. You will have to read the end of my thread for my comments on that, but a preview would be that some features are reasons for not upgrading or upgrading and then disabling them. I will be summing up all my observations in the thread cited within the next few days.

But, do not buy any software until you try it out yourself in your specific computer environment in spite of what anyone tells you. Listen, but confirm. You do not have to uninstall the Premiere Elements version that you have now to be able to download and install and use the Premiere Elements 8 free 30 day tryout from Adobe. Pick your timing for that since once you download the tryout and install it, you do not get a second chance at it whether you have the tryout for 1 or 30 days.

I find it interesting to note that each new version seems to have been greeted with a lot of negative reviews, not stable, do not upgrade recommendations, etc. But, yet when the next version came out, the older version then became the good guy and the newer one the bad guy. I am just a user, not employed by Adobe and with no relatives there, so my views are my own and I am not lobbying for either side, except the user side.

ATR

• 8. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Sarahn51

Just a brief add on...

If you are involved in Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration, we may need to talk about your strategy in deciding the timing for the tryouts and other related matters. But, first take a look at the following thread to read my position on that subject based on my hands on experience with the tryouts of both Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 and already installed earlier versions on the same computer.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/507315?tstart=30

ATR

• 9. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                          Sarahn51 Level 1

Will take a look thanks sarah

• 10. Re: Should I upgrade to PE 8?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I find it interesting to note that each new version seems to have been greeted with a lot of negative reviews, not stable, do not upgrade recommendations, etc. But, yet when the next version came out, the older version then became the good guy and the newer one the bad guy.

ATR,

A very astute observation. The exact same thing happened with regard to PrPro CS3. When it was released, complaints were everywhere, and they were just like you describe - unstable, slow, clunky to use and not worth the upgrade from PrPro 2.0. Then, CS4 came out. Yes, it did have some major issues, but most were resolved by the CS4.1 update. Still, almost everyone, with CS4.1 issues refer to CS3 as the best version to ever be released, and many insist that the only answer is to go back to CS3, until CS5 comes out. Heck, it was considered pure evil not THAT long ago!

As I stated upthread, I'm still on PrPro 2.0 Production Studio (CS2), love it, and rely on it to do everything that I need in my current workflow. PrPro CS3 offered me too little, and some changes were counter to my workflow. When CS4 hit, those real Bugs scared me off, and now that the vast majority have been addressed and fixed, I still cannot find enough real reasons to upgrade. There are some neat things, but just not enough for me to either ditch my CS2, or install both versions. Years ago, I gave up life on the "bleeding edge," as I was finding that most of the "blood" was mine. I let the "early adopters" work out the problems and invest in the very latest OS's, and hardware. I just want programs that work perfectly all of the time. When the time comes to move up, I usually do so in a big way with a new workstation, OS and the newer version.

As I use PrE far less than PrPro, I would only be inticed to upgrade by some major enhancements. I still read of PrE 7 & 8, but that is more for my education, than to actually consider the upgrade. Though some of the features that you have cited can be real "deal-makers" for many, none really helps me and my workflow - yet... Maybe when I go over to full HD and BD production, but I'll probably have already upgraded to CS4.2, or CS5 PrPro by then.

Thanks for reporting on the enhancements in PrE 8, as they will very likely help others make an informed decision on upgrading. Your efforts should be applauded.

Hunt