2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2008 6:06 AM by MergeThis

How 2 create topic list report by modified date

gsmichaels Level 1
      Wish to print topic list incorporating topic modified date. Can't quite figure out how to do it using either the topic list, the report by topic properties, or by just grabbing it off Windows Explorer... in order to copy it to an Excel or Word file.

Suggestions appreciated.

glenn
        • 1. Re: How 2 create topic list report by modified date
          Amebr-ke0mH4 Level 2
          I've been using the command line for this since Win3.1. (can you believe MS still doesn't make this easy???)

1. Open a command window (Start > Run, cmd)
          2. Change to the directory you want to get a listing for.
          Type the drive letter followed by a colon (e.g. f:) then press Enter.
          Type 'cd path\to\your\directory'.
          3. Once there, you use the 'dir' command and send it to a text file.
          The basic format is dir >mytextfile.txt
          I think it used the last modified date by default, but you can force it.
          Use dir /? to get info on all the switches you can use. It's a bit confusing at first, but it kind of makes sense once you get the hang of it.

Try this as a starter. It will create a text file called mytextfile.txt in the current directory and list all files and folders in the current directory and subdirectories, and force the listing to use the last modified date.

dir /s /tw >mytextfile.txt

It's not pretty, but it does contain the information you need.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are apps out there somewhere that can do what you need as well, with a friendly interface. Maybe someone else can recommend something.

• 2. Re: How 2 create topic list report by modified date
            MergeThis Level 4
            The JR Directory Printer freeware product works quite well.

Good luck,
            Leon