5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 3:08 AM by Sarthak Singhal

Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size

palurie

Oh horror!

Is this a bug or is it a "new feature"?

In CS3, I could always export from a JPG image within FW, and if prompted to save, if I saved the original JPG, it remained untouched, leaving the original and the exported versions.

In CS4 it seems that if I save the JPG after exporting, I am no longer prompted whether to save the file as a PNG, and the original JPG is then saved at the EXPORT size.

What happened to the "Save as PNG" prompt?

If CS4 would at least save the "original" (jpg) image at initial resolution as a PNG, then there would at least be something at full original resolution!

Help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size
          pixlor Level 4

If the default actions for CS4 have changed from CS3, that hardly makes it bug. On the contrary, it may have been considered a bug that "saving" a .jpg wasn't equivalent to the export function and that this bug was fixed for CS4.

"Saving" an open .jpg is a bad idea: every time you open and re-save a .jpg you lose information. As the human designer, you need to operate the program, not depend on the program to do your thinking for you. If you want to open a .jpg and save it as a .png, then you should take those actions deliberately (File > Save As...).

• 2. Re: Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size
            palurie Level 1

Thanx Pixlor for your ideas. All very well not to to "depend on the program to do your thinking for you", but this is a significant change for a longtime user of Fireworks (from Macromedia days).

Has the default action for CS4 indeed changed from that of CS3?

Is there a way to reactivate the function that prompted to save the original JPG?

What IS bad is that there is no warning that the original (JPG) is being reduced if the user saves the original on closing.

• 3. Re: Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size
              pixlor Level 4

palurie wrote:

Thanx Pixlor for your ideas. All very well not to to "depend on the program to do your thinking for you", but this is a significant change for a longtime user of Fireworks (from Macromedia days).

Has the default action for CS4 indeed changed from that of CS3?

I am still using CS3, so I don't know what CS4 has as default actions. I started with FW MX.

However, I never "Save" a .jpg. If I open a .jpg in FW, and I want a .png document, I always "Save As" a Fireworks document. For one thing, you should never re-save a .jpg; you lose data, that's just how the algorithm works. But mainly, it's a good idea to be deliberate and do what you intend, rather than to use the menus in a sloppy fashion to start doing one thing, and expect a quirk of the program will save you and do what you really wanted to do in the first place. It takes the same number of mouse clicks for "File > Save" as it is for "File > Save As..." after all. There's also a bug in CS3 where the Fireworks' proprietary metadata would be included if a .gif was saved rather than exported. I use Save As to create a FW .png from another image format, Save for FW .pngs, and Image Preview and Export for any final image output. Always.

Is there a way to reactivate the function that prompted to save the original JPG?

If a program logic has been changed, there's usually no user settings to change it back.

What IS bad is that there is no warning that the original (JPG) is being reduced if the user saves the original on closing.

There's no way in the basic export settings to change the dimensions of the image. There's a scaling feature, are you using that? (That can do some weird things.) Otherwise, if you've modified the dimensions of the image in Fireworks, and you then save it, you should get the standard message about overwriting an existing file, and it will overwrite with the new, modified dimensions. Do you not get this message?

• 4. Re: Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size
                palurie Level 1

Pixlor, many thanks, but as you are not a CS4 user, you aren't well positioned to answer my issues.

I have SERIOUS issues with the functionality of FW CS4.

CS3 worked incredibly... fantastic compression; true color handling, and fast, reliable batch processing.

In FW CS3 I used Batch Processing to convert files with any extension:

1. I'd select the files (often using open files; other times selecting unopened files.
                2. make the selections (rename - add a suffix; resize - define the max size; and export - specifying the format & resolution.
                3. The originals were moved into a new folder, and the newly batch exported files appeared in the same folder where the files had originated
                4. If having exported from open originals, I then could see them open in FW CS3.  They were unmodified. If they were not .png format, on closing I was always prompted if I wanted to save them.  If I answered Yes, then the file was saved as a .png, and was saved at the original/same resolution as the source file.
                5. If batched from unopened files, the originals were moved untouched into a new folder, similar to #4 above, and retained their original size, resolution and extension.
                6. If exporting using "Image Preview", the original would be left untouched, and the exported image would be perfect.

BUT, in FW CS4, the workflow has been changed for the worse!

1. Selection is identical to FW CS3
                2. The choices are again similar to FW CS3
                3. The handling of originals is also the same as CS3

BUT
                4. If Batch exporting from open originals, the displayed source files have now all been reduced to the export size, whether or not they were .png or .jpg or .psd.  If I wanted to close them, I'd be asked if I wanted to save them.  NOW, FW CS4 saves these source files at the new reduced size/resolution, into the newly created Original Files folder, thus OVERWRITING THE ORIGINAL FILES.  No options are offered, and if one saves by mistake, the originals are lost.  If I choose NOT to save any files when closing them in FW CS4, then the originals are not overwritten.
                5. If batched from unopened files, CS4 is the same as CS3
                6. If exporting using "Image preview" in CS4, there are several issues:
                  1. once the file is exported and the export dialog closes, the remaining sopen source file has been reduced to the same size of the target export.
                  2. If I close the file, I am asked to save.  If I save, I overwrite the original to match the same size as the target export.  NOT GOOD!
                  3. Often, if eporting sequential images using the image Preview, the resulting image of subsequent files get stuck with the previous version... I am getting many erroneous exports.

PLEASE could someone from the FW CS4 Team, and/or a FW CS4 user respond to my concerns... this is a major problem for me and really messing up my workflow.

Many thanks

Peter

• 5. Re: Saving jpg original after exporting in FWcs4 reduces the original in size
                  Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee

@Peter

I tried the following:

Opened a jpg file in Fireworks CS3. The file was placed on the desktop.

Checked the option of "Include open file" while doing the batch process.

Scaled it to 70%

Closed the jpg file which was opened.

No dialog was generated prompting for saving the file. When i opened back the jpg file it was resized to 70% of its original size.

Can you help me understand better?

The dekstop had a folder named "Original file" which had the original file in it. Can you send us a video/screengrabs showing the issue at your end. I have tried on a Windows and Mac machine both.

..Sarthak