14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 6:15 AM by shortfilmer22

v. 8 locks up

shortfilmer22

I just installed Premiere Elements 8 on my XPS with 4GB RAM and lots of hard drive space.  It installs fine, takes my S/N, but when I try to start it, I get nothing but a black dialog box.  Nothing happens.  I have set the VM to it's ultimate, so that's not the problem, either.

• 1. Re: v. 8 locks up
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us the full details on your computer. Pay special attention to your Video sub-system and its drivers, plus any Hardware Acceleration used. This is the second thing that I would do - turn if OFF, if it's ON, or ON, if it's OFF - right behind making sure that I had the latest drivers for both Audio and Video. Third, I'd check that I had the latest version of QuickTime installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: v. 8 locks up
            shortfilmer22 Level 1

I have the latest QuickTime, have the latest video drivers, didn't touch

hardware acceleration and all the rest of the drivers are fine, too, so I

don't know what it could be.  Had a similar problem with v. 7 and so skipped

it and went on to buy 8 hoping that it would be improved enough to work this

time.  I have Premiere Pro which works fine, so that should tell you that

it's not my PC.  I don't use PP because I want something less involved.

• 3. Re: v. 8 locks up
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Had a similar problem with v. 7 and so skipped it and went on to buy 8 hoping that it would be improved enough to work this time.

This would cause me to look closely at my system, as it is the constant. The system is also the main cause of errors, hangs and crashes with an NLE, with Assets and Project settings being #2 & #3.

If one version of a program does not work on a system, a newer version is seldom likely to help. With Adobe products, real Bugs are way, way down the list of causes.

One question: do you happen to have Window Blinds installed? If so, try updating that, as it can cause what appear to be program hangs, as it can kill the buttons, etc. on a GUI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: v. 8 locks up
                shortfilmer22 Level 1

No, no blinds installed.  I think there's a Windows Vista problem because

two updates aren't installing and MS has been offering help with a fix; so

far not too good.  One is the .NET framework update.

• 5. Re: v. 8 locks up
                  tech_savvy Level 1

Which version of Vista are you running? Are you able to see the Welcome screen or even that is not loading?

One solution might be to format the system and start afresh

• 6. Re: v. 8 locks up
                    shortfilmer22 Level 1

Formatting the system is not an option.  When I should be getting the

Welcome screen, I'm getting a black box with nothing on it.  I can see the

hard drive working, but nothing happens.  It's Vista Home Premium,

unfortunately.  I think it's MS that's causing the problem with its .NET

Framework.

• 7. Re: v. 8 locks up
                      tech_savvy Level 1

One more thing which you can try is bypassing the Welcome screen and directly launching the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe from within the app directory.

• 8. Re: v. 8 locks up
                        shortfilmer22 Level 1

So, I would go into the Premiere Elements directory and start it by hitting

the ".exe" file?  Just wondering if this will really do it.

• 9. Re: v. 8 locks up
                          tech_savvy Level 1

Did you try it or not? It will directly invoke the premiere elements exe bypassing the welcome screen exe. There might be a small possibility that the problem is within the WS exe.

• 10. Re: v. 8 locks up
                            shortfilmer22 Level 1

I still had v7 installed, tried this direct approach by going into the

directory, the program came up, but with a black box and then froze.  Adobe

has, supposedly, provided a work-around for me and I'll try it later.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: v. 8 locks up
                              tech_savvy Level 1

Hey if u hav any workaround for this prb, tell me too...May be it will save me in future

• 12. Re: v. 8 locks up
                                shortfilmer22 Level 1

Here's what they sent to me:

As you informed , you are not able use premiere elements 8 on vista, So

there could be any reason , I have investigated the issue and found a

workaround for you.

Please go through with this article :

(http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51584.html)

Please take care of the following while performing the troubleshooting

steps.

1. To benefit most from this document, perform the tasks in order.

2. Please Keep track of the tasks that you perform and the results of

each.

3. Always restart the computer after a system error occurs to refresh

its memory

• 13. Re: v. 8 locks up
                                  tech_savvy Level 1

Thanks for sending this info

Btw, did this resolve your problem?

• 14. Re: v. 8 locks up
                                    shortfilmer22 Level 1

Unfortunately, I've got other things that are taking my time and attention

right now, but I hope to tackle it this weekend.  Sorry I can't provide more

help right now.  If it works, I'll let everyone know.