9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 12:37 PM by lutzro

PE8 Low Memory Problem

lutzro

I have newly installed PE8 on a Quad core, 4GB Mem, 6 TB Hdrives, Win XP SP3.

Open new project import 5 jpg photos (less than mb each), select them and add as group slideshow.  As soon as the work area starts to render each of the pictures I got the "low memory" warning and basically the program stops responding.  I am appalled that only 5 photos brings it to its knees--somethng is wrong

I have tried almost everything, (virtual memory is managed by windows all 6gb of it), defragged disks and virtual disk page file (ms sysinternals),  cache is set to its own hd with 750 GB of space.  I submitted this problem to adobe tech support and got referred to tech articles which did not help.  I have tried running with msconfig turning off everything but it still does not work. I have done more reinstalls than I can count.  More puzzeling is the fact that I monitor the ms process explorer from sysinternals and it show lots of physical and virtual memory available when the low memory warning occurs. I have reset the prefs and just about everything else but nothing works.

Attached is screen shot of PE8 and the Sysmonitor at the time the error occurred.

I have installed this same file into win 7 machine64 bit and it appears to work so I know the program works on other OS and machine, but I really need  to work on my main photo processing machine (ie the Win XP).

I have seen many other similar post for memory related problems, has anyone found a cure?

• 1. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, what are the dimensions of your still images and what is your Project Preset? You will get better performance and also quality, if you resize to match your Project in PS/PSE. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on how to do this efficiently and with automation.

Next, Low Memory can mean two things: RAM usage and also your Windows' Virtual Memory (Page File). Please tell us about your Page File, how it's managed, i.e. static, or dynamic.

Last, this ARTICLE should give you some tips on setting up your computer for video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
            lutzro Level 1

Thank you for the welcome,  help is a wonderful thing

1.  My virtual memory is set to dynamic management by windows.  I have defragged the page file and it currently runs about 6 GB or so.That is about right with the 4 GB installed main memory.  You can see the memory usage stats on the attached jpg screen shoot I included in the post.  If I read it correctly I am only using 15% of the available space when the memory error occurs.

2. The images are jpg exports directly from Lightroom 3328x4992 6.79mb in Adobe RGB color space.  I take your point about down sizing   I can give that a try but doubt it should matter much for this problem.

3.  Project is set to default 720x480i. I have not found any way to change that everything is grayed out   No devices are selected, and GPU is enabled

• 3. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              2. The images are jpg exports directly from Lightroom 3328x4992 6.79mb in Adobe RGB color space.  I take your point about down sizing   I can give that a try but doubt it should matter much for this problem.

I think that you will be surprised, especially as the limit on still images for PrE and PrPro is 4000 pixels on the largest dimension. Also, the quality will go up, as well, if you resize in PS/PSE, rather than forcing PrE to do it for you. The scaling algorithms are better, and the potential settings are much more comprehensive. I can easily see the differences between letting my NLE do the scaling (all ways) vs doing it in PS.

For NLE work, I'd try a static Page File. Your size is good. I use 2.5x my RAM, but 2x is a good choice. One big plus with static vs dynamic is that defragging will take this into account, and Windows is freed of the duty of trying to guess and then set the ever changing needs. With general programs, dynamic works well, but with NLE work, my tests indicate that all of my computers run better, faster and leaner with a static Page File.

I posted the "Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine" article link. Give that some thought, as even a brand new computer has a ton of bloadware, that robs resources and most of this is totally useless and unnecessary.

Hope that something helps. With your system and the other management that you are employing, you should have no problems. As an example, I have a Project with 2000+ stills, all sized to the Project (720 x 480), 200+ .MOV files, over 1000 Titles and about 300 DV-AVI files. It runs for well over 8 hours and has no issues. Now, this is on PrPro 2.0 (older and not quite so efficient as the newer PrE versions), on an XP-Pro SP3 system with dual-Xenons (Core 2) @ 3.25GHz (quite old by today's standards) and 4GB RAM (3+GB switch). This Project is also on a FW-800 external - complete, though I have 6x 1TB SATA II's, plus 2x 1TB ATA-100 internals. There have never been any memory issues. I also have about 6 Video Tracks, and 8 Audio Tracks on this Project. Even Project load-time is only about 1.5 mins.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                lutzro Level 1

I am mostly wanting to produce video slideshows ie HD TV playback.  I think going to Full HD 1920x1080 would be about the best unless there is some reason DV NTSC .

I will convert images to 1920x1080 and see if that helps.  From your discussion 4000 pixels is the max PE can take?  I definitely can see where PE does not do a very good job at resizing and keeping the quality so it does make pretty good sense to handle resize in photoshop or Lightroom.

Seems odd though that Roxio can make a slideshow of images from the larger files and swallow them but PE can not.

I will give it try tomorrow and report back,  Thanks for the help!!

• 5. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                  lutzro Level 1

I did the conversion on 28 files to max ht 1080 pixels  most 720 or 800 wide although the frame is 1920x 1080.  Works very quickly and no memory low errors.  Pictures are pretty good at 1080, at least I think better than 720.

Many thanks this seems to be the answer,   Not obvious that PE can not swallow 4000 pixels image but it would seem that it just chokes on memory trying.

• 6. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For pure SlideShows, I would strongly suggest that you look at ProShow Gold and also their Producer. That is what these programs are designed to do.

For SD SlideShows, PrPro works fine for me. I am investigating the ProShow products, should I get more of these types of Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                      lutzro Level 1

I have not tried ProShow.  I do have PE8 and Roxio with their video editor (video wave).  For me there are two things I look  at in the product.  First can I ingest PSD files or Tiff because I tend to use layers and go back and forth editing.   This is usually a deal breaker for cheaper programs of which there are many.  Second is the intended output.  I do CD/DVD's slideshows that can be played on the TV because many people are computer challenged (as I get older I may be one of them) and I am more and more using streaming media on my web, and lastly on my iPod touch.

Roxio is not my favorite but they do seem to have more controls aimed at mobile devices for output.  As the guy doing the concept, capture, design, editing, and production I tend to favor having an effects, transitions, and audio tools that I can quickly build something that is professional without a huge investment in my time. (sounds like the holy grail doesn't it).

I use a lot of Photoshop, and Lightroom and Corel Painter.  My Photoshop training has been several years in the making and while I don't claim to be the jedi master I can do pretty much what I need. As a photographer these programs give the tools for color management, printing, compositing, and editing that I use frequently.  Everything is raw out of the camera and into either DXO or Lightroom.   I have used Premiere Pro with after effects but it just too much.  I am not a video photographer and most of that product is wasted on me so I looked at PE8.

A new thing that is coming is the DSLR video modes (they may force me into being the video photogapher).  One feature for examplle is taking the mvi out of my canon 7d (1080 @ 30fps) importing to PE and then adjusting lighting and rotating picture as required.  Roxio can not do that but PE can.

For the slideshows I will look at ProShow since I do not know much about it.

Thanks again for the advice

• 8. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Like you, I come from a 30 year career as an advertising still photographer. Back in my dark past, I got a degree in cinematoghraphy (video was basically live feed to air in a studio back then, or live capture to 2" video tape, for delayed broadcast.), but had so many still clients, that I really had no time to use my studies in film.

Fast forward some years, and digital image manipulation caught my attention. Most of my images were assembled in the darkroom via analog compositing, and when I saw my first Scitex computer, I knew that I was looking into the future. In a few years, Aldus introduced PhotoStyler for the PC, and PageMaker for layout. The future had hit my desktop. Shortly thereafter, Adobe introduced Photoshop for the Mac, and then for the PC. I shelved PhotoStyler for Photoshop 2.5 and never looked back. Though I still shot film, soon everything was digitized and on my computer, before delivery. Aldus sold PageMaker to Adobe, and the development team for PhotoStyler went on to form Ulead.

Everything I do now is digital, but still every image goes through my computer. I too work in .PSD format and keep that workflow all the way to my video production. I seldom use JPEG, unless a client hands it off to me, or I need to do a Save_As for a client's Web site. I just do not like the compression, even at low levels (high quality levels), and have always had a very powerful computer (for each generation), so large files were where I was most comfortable.

When I began producing video (DVD-Video), I explored the best was to maintain the ultimate quality, and tested extensively, how my NLE handled the large files. I became convinced that the results were better (to my trained eye), when all manipulations were done in Photoshop, rather than in the NLE. I could see the difference, and wanted the ultimate, for both me and for my clients. I also liked the ultimate quality control from PS, rather than leaveing the "decisions" to the whims and limitations of the NLE. When I moved to PrPro, I tested again, and found the results from PS to still be superior. Now, I do have to admit that I have not tested with each version upgrade of PrPro, or with PrE, and I am sure that they have improved, but still rely on PS for everything. The biggest plus for me, regarding PrPro was that it COULD handle my .PSD's, so no conversion, even to TIFF. I'm with you on the need to work with .PSD's, or .TIFF's, at the least. One reason that I rely on PrPro for sitll image work is that I can Import a Layered .PSD as a Sequence, keeping my Layers. I can then animate each Layer, as I want and do so quite often. This inability to Import my un-Flattened, Layered .PSD's into PrE is a big drawback. Until PrE adds Sequences, I do not expect this to change. Still, if one does not need to animate the Layers and retain them, PrE's ability to just work with .PSD's is a really big plus.

For me, to date, PrPro does everything that I want, but I can see the benefits of a program, like ProShow Producer, so I'm exploring it. I'll probably pick up a full-paid copy, just to test it's workflow and output vs PrPro. Right now, I'm waiting on the next big SlideShow Project to "buy" ProShow Producer for me.

I am still working with SD Projects, but will soon add HD and export to BD. I believe that this will get me closer to that quality "Holy Grail." Of course, this will also bring an upgrade for my workstation, my OS and a new video camera, plus a BD burner. It will be with this output in mind, that I will be testing ProShow Producer, plus PrPro CS4.1 (or whatever version it's up to by then).

Now, I'm looking less for any automation in the SlideShow production, mainly because I am a "control freak." I want complete power in the editing suite. The only use for automation is for batch processing my stills for use in an NLE, or SlideShow production program. I understand the allure of the automation to most editors, but that is just not my personal style. My workflow is much slower, but then I enjoy determining every aspect of every image.

Let me know what you think of the ProShow products, as I will greatly appreciate your observations, especially as you come from a background very similar to mine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE8 Low Memory Problem
                          lutzro Level 1

You have quite a bit more history than I have,  I started out of college to be an astronaut snared into the Air Force and lucked into flying fighters all over the world.  I really postponed growing up by about 30 years and loved the flying.  Seemed like everywhere I went I was taking pictures and fairly well educated from an acedemic point about light, optics, quantum mechanics, etc I kept at my hobby.  When I retired from AF and started my second career I plannned to have the photography as my side business.  My wife and I started the business several years ago and so now we have plenty to do.

As you might guess from my AF background I have been invovled with technology since college.  The digital revolution for me was in the early 70's luckily I got exposed to computers, imagery, and processing early and have had plenty to keep me busy.  I became a photoshop user from its first release right through to cs4 today.

What drives me now is the time.  I shoot a typical wedding 800-1000 photos between three cameras.  My current working gear is canon 1DS mk3 at 22mb a pop.  I would love to have each picture in photoshop and be able to edit them carefully but that is just not possible.  So I go through several stages, everything is saved but I get down to about 300 photos that get some level of edit.  I use lightroom to do most of this.  The 300 get copied to a jpg and posted on my web.  After some agonizing the bride will get down to about 100 pictures and that is the start of the weddiing album.  Now I really spend considerable time doing graphic design in photoshop to composite the pages into a format for the books.  The digital processing is just huge in this from start to finish and makes the whole process manageable. I print several proofs, send a proof book to the book binder.  After getting all of the preferences, style, finish, etc I will finally send the job out to the binder and produce the books. While I could out source graphic design, printing, and web hosting I am a stickler for the quality so prefer to do it in house.   From start to finish time is the driving force before I am taking the next event.

While weddings and social events consume most of business time, the production of fine art pieces is more my passion.  I still travel and shoot, in fact I am doing underwater next week and a volanco in 3 weeks.  (guess I am still working on that growing up part).