12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 7:40 PM by Silkrooster

Cannot write text

pwillener Level 8

My friend uses Adobe Illustrator 10 (Japanese version).  He cannot write text into any Illustrator object.  He showed me how he does it

• click on the Text tool
      • select a position in the data area
      • type a few characters, e.g. AAA
      • we see the cursor moving to the right, but nothing is displayed

My first suspicion was that either the font color was white (same as background), or that the opacity was set so that the text would be invisible.  But both was not the case.

Any idea why Illustrator 10 cannot write text?

Is there an update available that would fix the problem?

• 1. Re: Cannot write text
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you check the attributes panel?

• 2. Re: Cannot write text
            pwillener Level 8

Thank you for your reply.  What would I be looking for on that Attributes panel?

Also (as I am not familiar with Illustrator), how do I get to that panel?

• 3. Re: Cannot write text

Woops, I meant Appearance panel. If not open already you can access it through the windows menu. Windows>Appearance. This can be set to use the last known settings applied to an object.

I got playing with it a bit and I don't think that is it. No matter what I used any new text was set to black fill with opacity at 100%.

Now I am thinking his preference file needs to be trashed. If you never done it before, the file can be moved to another location for safe backup. then run illustrator to create a new preference file.

Instructions are in the adobe KB files. or you could try ctrl-shift-alt at startup.

• 4. Re: Cannot write text
                pwillener Level 8

Thanks again.  I will anyway have my friend look at the Appearance panel, although that may be the same we had already checked yesterday (e.g. containing the opacity).

We will definitely looking at the preferences file; I guess it is on a similar location for Illustrator 10 as described in this article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/325/325613.html

• 5. Re: Cannot write text
                  pwillener Level 8

We checked the Appearances panel, but we weren't eally sure what to look for.  My friend did some kind of "reset" on it, but nothing changed.

Next we closed Illustrator and renamed the AIPrefs file.  Started Illustrator and tried again - still no visible text.  (And Illustrator created a new AIPrefs file when we closed it.)

Do you, or other experts, have any additional ideas?

P.S. I found that there is an update 10.0.3 available for download; would that possibly contain a fix for the problem?

• 6. Re: Cannot write text
                    pwillener Level 8

We installed the Illustrator 10.0.3 update, but there is no change in the behavior...

• 7. Re: Cannot write text
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Pat,

P.S. I found that there is an update 10.0.3 available for download; would that possibly contain a fix for the problem?

You should certainly download/upgrade to 10.0.3, and it may fix it.

Otherwise please post back so we may make further suggestions.

• 8. Re: Cannot write text
                        Tom Usrey Level 3

When you select the Type tool, what is the name of the font that is displayed in the top of the Character panel?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Cannot write text

OK, when you type is this part of an existing document or a new document? Did you try another type face? What is the point size of the type?

If this only happens in an existing document, could you post a screen grab of the appearance panel and the layers panel expanded. Just want to rule out any masks, a screen grab of the transparency panel may also be useful.

• 10. Re: Cannot write text
                            pwillener Level 8

Tom Usrey wrote:

When you select the Type tool, what is the name of the font that is displayed in the top of the Character panel?

I will check that this evening.

Silkrooster wrote:

OK, when you type is this part of an existing document or a new document? Did you try another type face? What is the point size of the type?

If this only happens in an existing document, could you post a screen grab of the appearance panel and the layers panel expanded. Just want to rule out any masks, a screen grab of the transparency panel may also be useful.

What he has shown me was always a new document; the font size was something like 24 - easily visible.  I will check the type face later today - possibly a Japanese font.

• 11. Re: Cannot write text
                              pwillener Level 8

Thank you to all who responded; the problem is for all practical purposes solved.

We checked the default font in the text tool, and it was MS Gothic - the most common Japanese font.  Changed it to some other Japanese font, and were immediately able to type visible characters.

The one question remains - why does MS Gothic not produce any visible text?  I will check with other software, e.g. Word, if MS Gothic works better there.  I also may just try to reinstall the font.

Anyway, for my friend the problem is resolved.

• 12. Re: Cannot write text

I am glad you have it figured out. I am wondering if the font has been corrupted, thats what it seams like anyhow. BTW thanks for the points.