4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2006 12:26 PM by MergeThis

Help in PORTLETS

freons
      Hello!

Would you know if RoboHelp supports the interaction between help application and a portlet? I just have few information about this: I know that portlets support links to ANY help page. They can open the content of a topic inside the portlet (but we have to change the extension to ".jsp") or even open a new window, but one of the restrictions i know, in both cases, is: the code of a topic page can't have those html tags (<html>, <head> and <body>).

I really don't know if i can make this integration using RoboHelp or if i will have to search for other way of producing the help content.

Thanx for any attention...

;) Mayra.

• 1. Re: Help in PORTLETS
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Mayra and welcome to our community

I'm probably going to look totally ignorant here, but hey, if you don't know you need to ask. No?

What in blazes is a "Portlet"? Is that anything like a "Cutlet"? Is it made of Veal?

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Help in PORTLETS
            Roger N Level 2
            Mayra, Rick -

Wasn't sure myself, so Wikipedia and Google saves the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlets

..and if it's .jsp file format we're using, it ain't so clear:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v510/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wp s/wpsbsoutput.html

perhaps you might find more authoratiive answers in the IBM portal development forum:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=168&cat=9

good luck!
            • 3. Re: Help in PORTLETS
              freons Level 1
              Hi, guys!!!

Thanx a lot for your attention!!!! It will be easier to continue my search...

Rick, you dont look ignorant at all... before my boss bring me this problem, i didnt have the slightest idea of what the hell a portlet is, but, as i "suffered" this demand, i had to run after this information... According to what i understood of my boss' explanation, a portlet is a common structure used in portals... it works like components inside a page... Imagine a portal and it has a module for "articles", another for "events", another for "sales"... each one of this modules is a PORTLET, working apart from the others (talking in "our language" now: "each one needs a different kind of help... it cant be a general help")... something like that...

I hope it was helpful (and i was clear enough)!!! Otherwise, im sorry!!!

[ ] Mayra
              • 4. Re: Help in PORTLETS
                MergeThis Level 4
                I think you need to push back on your developers. One of our writers is generating Webhelp output for use in a portal application for remote access to the main application (users add portlets to their workspace according to their needs).

According to her, the developers are simply calling the Webhelp just the same as our main application calls the main online Webhelp. The Webhelp contains all those dreaded htm tags and doesn't deal with jsp files at all.

Good luck,
                Leon