6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Losing colour in clips

Irenecarstairs

I am having a problem when editing. I imported clips put them on the timeline but didnt finish editing. I went back in the next day and the clips i didnt finish editing showed as flickering black & white and colour and it does not correct it when i render the video. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Losing colour in clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Losing colour in clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, please tell us the details on these Clips. What camera did they come from and how were they Imported, or Captured in PrE? If you did not Capture from a camera, and do not know the details on these files, G-Spot can give you the complete details.

Next, tell us what Project Preset was chosen. This should match the details of those Clips exactly.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for your post,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Losing colour in clips
              Irenecarstairs Level 1

I captured from a canon XM2 using firewire Pal standard screen 25 fps. Just had a thought I think project settings are for widescreen would this be the problem.

• 4. Re: Losing colour in clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for your information.

The 16:9 vs 4:3 can cause some issues, but is not likely to cause a color shift. Being on PAL, you actually have a bit more "built-in" control on output, than we NTSC-folk.

Do you have any Effects added to these problem Clips?

You indicate that the color/gamma was correct, when you did your Capture. Was it still good, when you first dragged these Clips to the Timeline? Was it ONLY after you closed and reopened the Project, that you encountered the shift? If you were to drag one of those Clips to the Timeline, next to one of the problem ones, would it look correct? If so, can you do a screen-cap of this side-by-side comparison? Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the Toolbar in the editing screen to attach the screen-cap, so it will appear in the body of your post, and not have to go through queue. Also, I'd suggest doing the screen-cap as a BMP, or high-quality (say 9 on the Photoshop quality scale), so the image is as clear, as is possible. Please add annotations so we can readily see the "before" and the "after."

The behavior that you describe is odd, and that is why I'm still asking questions.

The only thing that comes to mind would be a video display issue, but this should be universal and should not be selective, as you describe.

While you're helping us work through this, please check your video driver for any updates. Windows has just released some updates and hot-fixes, and these can mess up video drivers. That is about the only thing that comes to my mind, as a possible cause. Again, this would be a global change and would not be at all selective.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Losing colour in clips
                  Irenecarstairs Level 1

The clips were fine the first editing session but they lost colour flickering in & out of colour when I put them next to the edited ones. the other edited ones are fine. I have used titles, transitions in the movie. if i preview it in the preview screen it looks fine but not on the timeline. Tonight I will try to change the project settings to standard to see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

• 6. Re: Losing colour in clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The clips were fine the first editing session but they lost colour flickering in & out of colour when I put them next to the edited ones. the other edited ones are fine.

Thank you for the info.

Good luck, and please let us know how your tests go.

Hunt