23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 11:19 PM by saragayer

Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

cellobella Level 1

I would like to import Camtasia 3 video files into Premier Pro CS4 for editing.  Two questions:  1) what is the best file format to export from Camtasia for editing in CS4, and 2) what codec should be used in creating files for export from Camtasia for best results in editing with PPCS4?  I tried exporting the files as .swf's (swf object) and that format was not recognized by CS4 when I tried to import.  After editing, I will be posting the files on the web as demo/instructional videos.

I'm not sure the platform/computer specs come into play much related to this question, here they are just in case:

Windows Vista OS:

Intel core i 7 processor (64 bit)

3.06 GHz processor

8MB Level 2 Cache

9GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM

1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Labelflash SuperMulti Double Layer 18x DVD+- RW Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 video card

High Definition Audio Chipset

7.1 Channel Surround Sound

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network

Expansion bays:  2 (1 free) External 5.25" bays; 2 (2 free) External 3.5" bays;   2 (1 free) Internal 3.5" bays

Expansion slots:  2 (1 free) PCI Express x16 Graphic Interface slot; 1 (0 free) PCI Express x1 Interface slot; 1 (1 free) PCI Express x4 interface slot

Thanks.

cello-bella

• 1. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you a link to Dan Isaacs' Camtasia article. That would be a great place to start.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Cello,

It is not related to your problem directly, but your system does not meet minimum requirements. You need at least 2 or more physical disks.

• 3. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

1. AVI

2. TSCC

Be advised that for low-motion footage like screen caps with Camtasia, Camtasia's Flash output is superior.  Export from Pr as a Lagarith AVI file when you're done editing and import that back into Camtasia for Flash encoding.

Here's a link to my latest tutorial to show you what  800x600  looks like:

CS4 HD to SD

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                cellobella Level 1

Thanks for the info, Jeff.  This was my first time working with Camtasia, but I'm pretty sure I used the TSCC in capturing the footage originally (is that the default setting?).  I was not able to import into PPCS4 the Camtasia 3 avi that was exported with the Techsmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC right?).  PPCS4 gave me an error message and would not accept it. 

It did import an avi exported with the Cinepak codec. However playing it on the timeline, it looks quite sharp in the preview monitor but a lot softer in the program view. It was output from Camtasia at 640x480, but PPCS4 says it will be output at 720x480.  Do I need to resize it for before exporting?

Also, I don't see where I have the opportunity in PPCS4 to choose the Lagarith codec for the avi output, once it's edited.  All I see is a list of the container format choices (Microsoft AVI, etc.) and below that, presets for different types of DV files.

The project I'm working on is a series of screen caps moving through a web site I managed.  I'm a video producer/web site manager so I don't come from a deep technical background. I just wanted to create a short video walk-through of the site.

BTW, I viewed your tutorial.  Thanks for the link.  Very clear images and instruction.  Nice attention to detail.

Cellobella

• 5. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

First:  have you updated to 4.1?

PPCS4 gave me an error message and would not accept it.

What was the exact message?

It did import an avi exported with the Cinepak codec

Cinepak is a bad choice.  If you install Lagarith (see below), you can choose that as the codec coming out of Camtasia.  But TSCC should work.

It was output from Camtasia at 640x480, but PPCS4 says it will be output at 720x480.  Do I need to resize it for before exporting?

Create a sequence that has the same frame size as your Camtasia footage.

I don't see where I have the opportunity in PPCS4 to choose the Lagarith codec for the avi output

Lagarith is an open-source lossless codec that has to be installed separately.

All I see is a list of the container format choices (Microsoft AVI, etc.) and below that, presets for different types of DV files.

For any other compressor besides DV, you have to go to the Video tab and change the compressor setting.  If you install Lagarith, that's where it will show up.

Glad you liked the tutorial.  Thanks!

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                    cellobella Level 1

JEFF:

HERE ARE MY RESPONSES IN ALL CAPS SO THEY STAND OUT.

THANKS,

CELLOBELLA

• 7. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      THANKS,

I take that to mean that Jeff got it sorted out for you. Great news!

That's what I love about this forum - great people, with helpful input.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'm following along, as I need to do some tutorials, and want to learn the "ropes" before I get started. Thanks for asking the questions, and to all for their responses. They are being footnoted, as I type.

• 8. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

I don't see any responses?

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                          cellobella Level 1

JEFF:

HERE ARE MY RESPONSES IN ALL CAPS SO THEY STAND OUT from the previous email.

THANKS,

CELLOBELLA

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 11:28 PM

To: Alison Donahue

Subject: [Premiere Pro] Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

NOT YET--WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE.  I SEE THAT THE LATEST IS VERSION 6.

> PPCS4 gave me an error message and would not accept it.

THE MESSAGE WAS:  ERROR MESSAGE-UNSUPPORTED FORMAT OR DAMAGED FILE

> It did import an avi exported with the Cinepak codec

Cinepak is a bad choice.  If you install Lagarith (see below), you can choose that as the codec coming out of Camtasia.  But TSCC should work.

NORTON 360 DID NOT LIKE THE DOWNLOAD OF THE INSTALL VERSION OF THE LAGARITH CODEC, AND MADE ME DO A SHUTDOWN DUE TO A "THREAT".  I THINK NORTON DELETED THE DOWNLOAD.  SINCE THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE I'M HESITANT TO DISABLE NORTON. IS THAT NECESSARY?

> It was output from Camtasia at 640x480, but PPCS4 says it will be

> output at 720x480.  Do I need to resize it for before exporting?

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO SET-UP THE FRAME SIZE FOR THE SEQUENCE?

> I don't see where I have the opportunity in PPCS4 to choose the

> Lagarith codec for the avi output

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.htmlis an open-source lossless codec that has to be installed separately.

> All I see is a list of the container format choices (Microsoft AVI,

> etc.) and below that, presets for different types of DV files.

For any other compressor besides DV, you have to go to the Video tab and change the compressor setting.  If you install Lagarith, that's where it will show up.

Glad you liked the tutorial.  Thanks!

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                            cellobella Level 1

Jeff:

Here are the answers to your comments, in caps

NOT YET--WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE.  I SEE THAT THE LATEST IS VERSION 6.

> PPCS4 gave me an error message and would not accept it.

THE MESSAGE WAS:  ERROR MESSAGE-UNSUPPORTED FORMAT OR DAMAGED FILE

> It did import an avi exported with the Cinepak codec

NORTON 360 DID NOT LIKE THE DOWNLOAD OF THE INSTALL VERSION OF THE LAGARITH CODEC, AND MADE ME DO A SHUTDOWN DUE TO A "THREAT".  I THINK NORTON DELETED THE DOWNLOAD.  SINCE THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE I'M HESITANT TO DISABLE NORTON. IS THAT NECESSARY.

> It was output from Camtasia at 640x480, but PPCS4 says it will be

> output at 720x480.  Do I need to resize it for before exporting?

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO SET-UP THE FRAME SIZE FOR THE SEQUENCE?

> I don't see where I have the opportunity in PPCS4 to choose the

> Lagarith codec for the avi output

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.htmlis an open-source lossless codec that has to be installed separately.

> All I see is a list of the container format choices (Microsoft AVI,

> etc.) and below that, presets for different types of DV files.

• 11. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

NORTON 360 DID NOT LIKE THE DOWNLOAD OF THE INSTALL VERSION OF THE LAGARITH CODEC, AND MADE ME DO A SHUTDOWN DUE TO A "THREAT".  I THINK NORTON DELETED THE DOWNLOAD.  SINCE THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE I'M HESITANT TO DISABLE NORTON. IS THAT NECESSARY?

What I would do would be to download Lagarith again. Just to be safe, run Norton on that file in your download folder.

Then, turn OFF Norton, StopZilla, SpySweeper, et al, and install it.

Some AV and spyware programs are overly aggressive with any installation file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

Follow Hunt's advice.  The downloaded file from lags.leetcode.net is safe.

The 4.1 update fixed some issues with Pr and TSCC.

When you create a new sequence, go to the General tab.  Set your custom frame size there.  Also, I record my screen caps in Camtasia at 15 fps, but I edit in a 30 fps sequence in Pr because of animations that I often add to the base Camtasia footage.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                  cellobella Level 1

Update:

I was able to download and install the lagarith codec!  It was ok with Norton 360 as long as I saved first, then installed, instead of trying to run it right at the download.  I output my file from Camtasia 3 with that codec and I'm in the process of setting it up to edit in PPCS4.  Working on making screen size for the edit the same as the file that's being imported.

Next item:

Trying to set the screen size to 640 x 480 on the General tab.  With the settings I have, the frame size area is not selectable. Please advise.

Here are the settings:

Sequence presets:

DV-NTSC

-standard 48khz

(this setting incorporates the 720hx480v frame size--I want it to be 640x480)

Edit mode:  DV NTSC

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  D1/DVNTSC (0.9091)

Fields:  lower field first

Video Previews

Preview File format:  NTSC DV

The footage is not mini dv (it's an avi from output Camtasia), but I don't see any other choice available that would apply to Camtasia footage.

Thanks.

cellobella

• 14. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

Change the editing mode from DV to Desktop.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I was able to download and install the lagarith codec!  It was ok with Norton 360 as long as I saved first, then installed, instead of trying to run it right at the download.

This is good news.

For the rest, Jeff has nailed it - yet again... He's just too quick for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                        saragayer Level 1

I've tried everyone's advice. I have a camtasia uncompressed avi at 1024 x 768. I want premiere to output that after some basic edits using the premiere's export command.  I'd like premiere to export a wmv file, avi, mov.

The problem is that it is always distorted.

I've tried all types of settings. I've played with matching on framerate, resolution, square pixels, .9 pixels. I've tried custom settings to export at 1024x768.

You name it. I've tried different codecs. Nothing works. It is always comes out distorted.

I've tried lagarith lossless codec. The output from camtasia always looks clear, whether it is an avi, wmv, or mov. But as soon as I export from Premiere it looks terrible.

If someone could just tell me that Premiere cannot do it, then I would be fine. I'd stop trying. I'm beginning to think it is not possible to export screencasts in premier at original resolution.

If it is possible, then I would appreciate a step by step guide. I'll even pay for it. I think what I'm trying to do is so simple, but eludes me.

I would so much appreciate some guidance. I am a student who spent a lot of money for Premiere and now it isn't doing what I thought it could.

Thanks in advance.

• 18. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

Please post a screenshot of the Video tab of your export settings dialog.  One for each of the export formats that you've tried would help.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                            saragayer Level 1

Here is a powerpoint that illustrates it.

Thanks for your help !

• 20. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I got a "compressed file is corrupted" message when I tried to open the file.

• 22. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?

It looks like your sequence settings are the culprit.  Camtasia records your screen as progressive, but you have an interlaced sequence set up.  Pr will treat the footage as interlaced, and when you export to WMV, Pr will try to deinterlace it.

Of all the things that Pr does well, deinterlacing isn't one of them.

Try a progressive sequence and see if your results improve.

-Jeff

• 23. Re: Import Camtasia 3 files into Premier Pro CS4-best Codec?
                                                  saragayer Level 1

Thanks very much everyone. The trick was to go to the "Fields" property of the "New Sequence" menu and set it to "No Fields (Progressive Scan)"

But....

I think I had to right mouse click on "Interpret Footage" before exporting. I haven't tried all the permutations, but those two changes seemed to do the trick.

Cheers!