13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 12:03 PM by Ron97

BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?

Ron97 Level 1

I started my first project with PE8 last night. I captured a few seconds of video from my mini DV cam, and then stopped to watch it to make sure everything was working ok. When I tried to play it back, all I got was a blank bluegreen colored screen. The audio plays and the video shows up in the clips on the timeline, but nothing on the screen. Just to be sure, I launched PE4 and captured the same video. It replays and works fine.

Any ideas?

Ron

Oh yeah, Vista Home Ultimate.

• 1. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assume you're the same Ron who posted to the Muvipix forum. I see you have some responses there already.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6389

• 2. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron97

I am still thinking about this one. But, have you tried going to the Premiere Elements 8 Edit Menu/Preferences/General and unchecking "Enable GPU Playback".

Also, please check out the AdobeTech Note titled "Troubleshoot digital video playback (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51526.html

ATR

• 3. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
              Ron97 Level 1

Last night I did an uninstall/reinstall, then tried again. This time the screen was black instead of bluegreen. Then I got your message ATR, and undchecked "Enable GPU playback". The video appeared! It won't play, but at least it shows up. Same as before, the audio plays but the video doesn't move. I can scrub across it and it changes, but it won't play normally. Almost there... any other ideas?

Also, what's the deal with rendering in this version. When I hit the enter key, it starts playing the clip. I've tried turning off background rendering and that doesn't change anything.

Thanks for any suggestions...

• 4. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your rendering issue sounds like operator error to me, Ron.

Check to ensure your Work Area Bar is over the segment you're trying to render. Also, if you want to stop the program from playing once the Work Area is rendered, uncheck the option under Edit/Preferences.

• 5. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                  Ron97 Level 1

Yep, I double checked the work area bar last night, as well as unchecking the "play after rendering" option....

• 6. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron97

My Premiere Elements 8 tryout expired last night and a purchased copy has not yet arrived, so I am going on memory and Premiere Elements 7.

First to clear up some points,

a. Background Rendering. If you have a red line over the Timeline content, that indicates that you need to render the Timeline (Edit Mode) by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard in order to get the best possible preview of the end product. It does not improve quality. This type of rendering is especially useful for transitions, titles, effects, and non DV content. Before the Premiere Elements 8 Background Rendering, YOU saw the red line, wanted a better preview and hit the Enter Key. In the rendering process that followed the red line turned green, supposedly offering the best possible preview. My understanding of this Background Rendering feature in Premiere Elements 8 is that, if you leave the feature enabled, the program will sense the "need" and do this for you automatically during a moment of idle in the editing workflow. It has been my experience with the tryout that it is best left diabled. It tended to offer its services at inappropriate times for long periods of time. So, when you disable the process, YOU are in control of when and if you want to see the best possible preview of the end product.

But, if you are putting DV AVI on the Timeline, you should have a green, not red, line over the Timeline, indicating that you have the best possible preview. You should not have to render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key.

b. Enter Key Pressing, Preferences, and Expectations. When you press the Enter Key with the line = red (rendering needed for best preview), you are going to get the Render Dialog,  and at completion of the process you will get automatic playback of the Timeline content when Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Play work area after rendering previews" is checked. But, if you press the Enter Key with the line = green (no rendering needed for best preview), you do not get the Render Dialog, and the Timeline content will playback whether or not you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Play work area after rendering previews" checked OR unchecked.

c. Now that we have that all said, let us see we are with your concerns:

From your details, I would expect that you are placing DV AVI on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline. I would expect a green line over the Timeline (no rendering needed for best preview). If you hit Enter, do you get normal playback of video with its audio? If you hit the play button below the Edit Mode Monitor, please confirm what you have: when you hit the Play Button of the Edit Mode Monitor does your Timeline Indicator stay at 0 time and you can hear your music being played from start to finish OR something else?

In Edit Menu/Preference/General, look at Timeline Playback Auto Scrolling just above where is says Playback work area after rendering previews. You should have three options: Smooth Scroll, Page Scroll, and No Scroll. Try them all to see if those options are involved.

Open a new project, if you have not done that already, and see if the issue persists.

Please review the comments and let me know what is happening. If none of the above moves us forward, I will do so more thinking.

ATR

• 7. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      My Premiere Elements 8 tryout expired last night and a purchased copy has not yet arrived,

ATR,

I hope that your paid-version gets there soon, as you have done such wonderful and useful work, dissecting PrE 8. Your work should be commended, and I hope that you can continue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                        Ron97 Level 1

First... ATR, thank you for your indepth look at this situation and your helpful instructions....

Thanks for your explaination of the rendering process.

Now, last night I resumed my wrestling match with Version 8...

Upon starting playback this is what was happening - my timeline indicator moved across the video, I heard normal audio but the video did not play, only showed the first frame as a still image. Then I discovered (by accident) that the video WAS playing back, BUT ON MY CAMCORDER SCREEN! When I turned my camcorder off, it played on the computer monitor! YAY! It was a joyous moment....

So, I resumed my project - capturing video from a recent trip to Jackson Hole. Then, after a couple of minutes, the capture suddenly stopped, the "busy" cursor showed for a few seconds and then POOF! No more Premier Elements.. it instantly went away. I did a restart on the machine and took a break for dinner. After that, I resumed my project and again, this time after about 8 minutes of capture, POOF... gone. Well, you probably know the rest... I learned very quickly to stop every few scenes and save the project. This continued and it took me a little over 2 hours to capture 1 hour of video. As I see from other posts on this forum, this is not unusual. So, I'll read through them and see what I can glean to help.

Thanks again for your help so far,

Ron

• 9. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron97

Thanks for the update. Did you hear me cheering when you mentioned your fix for the Timeline playback? I love those wonderful moments of Premiere Elements troubleshooting revelations.

Right click the Edit Mode Monitor, select Playback Settings and check out the settings there.

Also, how do you have your scratch files set up. Check out where each is directed to and how much free space is available at the site to which they are directed. (Edit Menu/Preference/Scratch Disks).

Also, keep an eye on your computer resources (Task Manager Performance) when Premiere Elements is running. My recollection is that DV capture is characterized by 13 GB per hour. So, if my calculations are OK, then in 8 min POOF time you had only about 2 GB. Go back and check the capture/device control details in the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF.I will do some checking around also.

To be continued....

ATR

• 10. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                            Ron97 Level 1

Hey again... Yep, the playback video preference was set to "External Device", unchecking that makes it play on my monitor regardless if my camcorder is on or not. As for my scratch discs, I have that set to "same as project" and am recording the video on a 1TB external drive with about 700GB of free space.

Last night, I began editing the afore mention video. I worked for over an hour with NO CRASH! (YAY!) Then had to go. The program was finally acting like the old friend I had come to know and love so well. I hope it continues... and thanks for the assistance!

Ron

• 11. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron,

The cheers just got louder with the appearance of your great news.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

• 12. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ron,

What is the connection type on the external? Going back a bit, many had Delayed Write failures with USB externals. I had several myself. I also found that FW-400 was much more stable, though not much faster than USB 2.0. I settled on a handful of FW-800 (IEEE-1394b) discs, and use a multi-chip ExpressCard controller for those.

If you do have FW-400's, make sure that you have multiple controller chips, if you are running both the external and the camera for Capture. Most cameras do not like to share a FW controller chip. Check that each of your FW ports is on a separate chip. Many computers will have multiple FW ports, but few have separate controller Chips.

Good luck, and hope that you stay crash-free.

Hunt

• 13. Re: BlueGreen Screen on playback... What tha?
                                  Ron97 Level 1

Hunt,

The connection for the external drive is USB 2.0.

Thanks for your input.

Ron