4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 2:02 PM by Steve Grisetti

Clarification using Elements 7 and Sony DVD architect please ..

Tom Nickel

Hello all,

I am close to finishing my 2nd set of "How To" instructional DVD's.

I have been reviewing the required steps in order to create a menu with "Sony DVD Architect."

I see in a past discussion that it was mentioned to:

“ .. Export [your Elements project] as an MPEG2 file without DVD markers, then adding the DVD markers and menu in either NERO or Sony DVD Architect Studio .. Note if you export MPEG2 you need to use the smart-rendering in the applications to ensure your video isn't re-rendered ... resulting in a slight quality hit.”

Is this still a good way to do this?  Would it be better/worse to export the Premiere Elements

project as an ".avi" file and pull that ".avi" file into Sony DVD Architect?  Then, render with Sony DVD Architect?

Thanks!

--Tom Nickel

• 1. Re: Clarification using Elements 7 and Sony DVD architect please ..
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best strategy is to export your final movie as a DVD-quality MPEG2 from Premiere Elements. (The option is under Share/Personal Computer/MPEG.)

DVD Architect should recognize this file as being in DVD format and, assuming it's not longer than 70 minutes (about the most that will fit on a standard DVD), it won't re-render it.

There is no way to transfer information on DVD markers from Premiere Elements to DVD Architect though, so don't bother prepping your DVD in Premiere Elements. Just output the MPEG, and then create your menus and assign any scene markers in DVD Architect.

• 2. Re: Clarification using Elements 7 and Sony DVD architect please ..
            Tom Nickel Level 1

Steve,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

Yes, I wasn't concered about markers, I figured that I'd create all of that in DVD Architect.

But, you've raised an issue that I had not thought about!

My DVD will be about 1 hour, 25 minutes.

Of course, I did expect a small loss in quality as some compression will be required in order for the material to fit on a standard DVD.

So, where sould the compression be done?  I know that Elements will compress down to whatever length is necessary

(To render, a selection something to the order of: "fit contents to disk").

Even if I "pre-compress" in Elements to fit on a standard DVD will DVD Architect re-compress the program material?

Thanks again,

--Tom Nickel

• 3. Re: Clarification using Elements 7 and Sony DVD architect please ..
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

The answer to the question that you raise is, "bit-budgeting." Now, I know that sounds like the statment of the party guest to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, "plastics." Here is an ARTICLE on bit-budgeting.

In DVD Architect, you will set your MPEG-2 to Do Not Transcode (or similar syntax), as it will already be ready for the DVD, with full compression established by bit-budgeting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Clarification using Elements 7 and Sony DVD architect please ..
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think you should let DVD Architect do the little compression it may or may not take to fit that on a single DVD. (70 minutes for a single-sided DVD is just a rule of thumb.) Don't worry, the compression will be minimal and DVD Architect will do an excellent job of it. What loss there is won't likely be significant -- or even noticeable!