1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 8:35 PM by Stan Jones

960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere

feebee45 Level 1

Hello,

This might be a dumb question - but i have to make a "slide show with audio" of a power point presentation. I use premiere because i have one long audio file. I export the power points as TIFFS - then import into premiere.

When I render out the video - the power points arent too clear. Here are the properties for the power points:

Type: TIFF image file
      File Size: 69 KB
      Image Size: 960 x 720
      Pixel Depth: 32
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
      Compression = LZW
      Byte Ordering = Intel

I WAS wondering - if anyone could help me === what would be the best format for the sequence, and what would be the best size to export as to make this look as clear as possible? The end result is an FLV being played in a 640x480 custom made FLV player on our site. it allows fullscreen - and this stuff looks terrible when full screened.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Id really appreciate it.

• 1. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          what would be the best format for the sequence

A custon (Desktop mode) sequence that matches your 'footage'.

what would be the best size to export

You have already stated your size is fixed at 640 x 480.

• 2. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
            feebee45 Level 1

a custom desktop sequence? i dont know what that is - can you please explain? I have only seen the choices premiere pro gives

• 3. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would set my Project/Sequence to the Frame Size of your TIFF's, 960 x 720 PAR=1.0, with the appropriate Frame Rate. This will be a Desktop (custom) Project/Sequence.

Next, I'd omit the LZW compression, when Exporting from PowerPoint. Programs, like Photoshop, can handle LZW compression better than other programs. Just go with Uncompressed.

Edit, as is needed, and then set your Export to match what is required.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                a custom desktop sequence? i dont know what that is - can you please explain?

When you go to New Project (or Sequence in CS4), you have a choice of Presets. Look at that list and you'll see dozens of "standard" choices, plus Desktop. Choose Desktop, and then you'll be presented with dialog screens, with windows to fill in/change the specs. to match your source footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Jim types more quickly than I do.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                  Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Another way is to download the 30 day trial of Camtasia Studio. I surprised at how well this program will capture PowerPoint as it plays on the computer screen. There are a lot of video size and quality settings available. It will also capture audio.

Using the "screen grab" method you grab all of the transitions. Works best with a fast computer.

• 6. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                    feebee45 Level 1

HUNT:

thank you so much for your patient and helpful reply - i really appreciate it.

I made my sequence according to what you said and it does look great - when I output though, there is black trim around the entire video.

is there something I did incorrectly? I was hoping to get this to fill the entire screen area. Sorry to bother you, but I feel like im getting closer to a great solution thanks to your help.

• 7. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

What are your export settings?

• 8. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you go the Camtasia route, this ARTICLE might be of use to you. See Jeff Bellune's reply for a link to his tutorial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                          feebee45 Level 1

camtasia doesnt require separate audio for each slide, like captivate and presenter does? These are little problems i feel like i run into every which way i turn.

• 11. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I tried a test on my system.  It came out right with full sized video, no black.  I can only guess you did something wrong somewhere.  The first thing that comes to mind is that the TIFFs aren't actually 960 x 720 square pixels.

• 12. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an entry from the PrPro-Wiki on PowerPoint to PrPro. There might be some good tips in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you open one of the .TIFF's in Photoshop, what is listed for both Image Size and for Pixel Aspect Ratio?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                  feebee45 Level 1

Hunt -

really appreciate your help. you have helped me so much so far.

the tiff file is 960x720 and has a square pixel aspect ratio - according to PS when i open the TIFF up in there.

I am trying a sample using the "crop" tool when i go to export the video. I have never used that before and dont really know what it is for. It seemd like i was able to CROP OUT the black parts around the video?

Again - sorry if these questions seem silly. I have always just learned as I go never really having anyone else at work to guide me on this stuff - or teach me.

• 15. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                    shooternz Level 6

FWIW

I currently have in the works a Presentation Video requiring the use of the slide media from a PPT as well as camera footage.

I wondered how I was going to get the 189 slides from the ppt .  The prospect of screen grabbing them all was too dire to contemplate.

It was a lot easier than I thought or have seen mentioned elsewhere (including the wiki link).

I simply  selected all the slides in the PPT screen and went  <SAVE AS>  .jpg (from the drop down list).

This created sequential jpgs of the entire pppt in one step.  Each jpg was same size as the slide dimension.

Hope that helps someone.

• 16. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                      feebee45 Level 1

HI -

that is EXACTLY what i do all the time - however, you might find some quality issues with those slides. The text on them can get fuzzy. I was told to save as - tiff - and then use it that way - however, that wasnt really much of an improvment for me.

It's difficult b/c if you have only slides, ten you can make a custom sequnce settings - and make yours the same size as the power point eports - which is 960x720 - then when you render it seems to keep it's quality (though i have only rendered a small test portion - we shall see when all said and done). But when you use the video with it - you cant really do that b/c you hvae to set up the same size as the raw video.

It's just hard to get power points in video --- and have it look good. I havent found an all around good solution for that - with great quality.

I have been struggling with this for at least 2 years now. It's kind of annoying.

• 17. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                        E-Media

Feebee45,

Have you found a better solution to your issue? I'm running into the same problem (trying to combine a powerpoint with actual video footage and having the powerpoint look less than satisfactory).

• 18. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                          E-Media Level 1

Is the "Desktop" sequence setting only available for Macs? I can't seem to locate it.

• 20. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                            feebee45 Level 1

No, i really  haven't found a better solution after 2 years of trying. I thought i have to be missing something - but then again - it does make sense that a video editing software doesnt expect people to be putting power points in them.

I feel that in this string of topics - I found a solution for the projects where I have no video, but just slides with audio. I think making the custom sequence and rending out to the proper size, should help the quality issue.

Most of mine do require raw video though of the person speaking, and just going from the person, to the slides, to the person...etc.

If anyone does have or find a solution - please help us!!!

Thanks -

Amanda

• 21. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                              feebee45 Level 1

I think the reason you didnt see any spaces is because i hvae to do the "scale to frame size" for each slide when in premeire on the timeline. if you dont do that - the edges get cut off of the power point slides. It's fine for slides that dont have info near the edges - but for the ones that does - it has to be scaled to frame size. that's when i am getting the borders.

Im still working on the "CROP" function - hoping that will work - but i cant get these tests up on our dev server right now b/c i am not in the office. I will not be able to try until tomorrow.

Thanks again -

mandy

• 22. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                I simply  selected all the slides in the PPT screen and went  <SAVE AS>  .jpg (from the drop down list).

Craig,

Can you please elaborate on the first part, the "selected all slides?" I'm not a PowerPoint user, so your statement is probably obvious to all others. This is for my education.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 23. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  i hvae to do the "scale to frame size" for each slide when in premeire on the timeline. if you dont do that - the edges get cut off of the power point slides.

That is incorrect on both counts.  If the sequence settings exactly match the TIFF properties, you will neither have to scale the slides, nor will they be cropped if you don't.  Which only makes sense.  If two things match, they match.  If you have to scale it, it's because something doesn't match, which might also explain the black.

• 24. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Is the "Desktop" sequence setting only available for Macs? I can't seem to locate it.

No, it's been there for PC's, for some time. Now, in CS4, it's for the Sequence Preset, unlike the Project Preset in earlier versions. Here's how it looks in PrPro 2.0:

Desktop_01.jpg

Desktop_02.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, I see that Feebee has already posted the Desktop screen and for CS4.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 25. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                      shooternz Level 6

In Powerpoint there is a screen where you can see all the slides at the same time.  They can be selected singly, or as a selection or as all ....for various other purposes in the application.  eg. relocating some of them and dragging them elsewhere.

As regards quality.  I can not see any quality loss in the method I outlined because the resolution is the same as the original.  In my instance the jpgs match the PPRO dv project dimension (which is PAL).  I can imagine  a loss bringing them into a project larger than the slide though.

Something that may work for that could be INSTANT HD.

• 26. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Thanks for the education. Maybe you need to add this to the PrPro-Wiki entries, as an easy way to do it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 27. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                          feebee45 Level 1

instant HD?

I have my power points as TIFFS - they are 960 x 720 -

My sequence is set up as 960 x 720

There is a black outline around the video. Jim i think is getting annoyed by my questions -

but I just cant seem to get this to come out right. I agree with him that "i MUST be doing something wrong" -

and im just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong -

my sequence properties are:

CustomerService
                                                          960 x 720
                                                          00;43;09;27, 29.97 fps
                                                          48000 Hz - Stereo

My Slide properties are:

Type: TIFF image file
                                                          File Size: 67 KB
                                                          Image Size: 960 x 720
                                                          Pixel Depth: 32
                                                          Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
                                                          Compression = LZW
                                                          Byte Ordering = Intel

I did not get an option to not compress using the LZW when exporting each slide as a TIFF from powerpoint.

• 28. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Your displayed sequence settings don't list PAR.  Is that also 1.0?

1 person found this helpful
                                                            • 29. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                              feebee45 Level 1

it is .9091

thank you - id love to get to the bottom of this. The other image is a shot from within the premiere program window

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

• 30. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                feebee45 Level 1

Jim - i just made a new sequence and changed the PAR to 1.0 - square pixels. This should do the trick for the slide only videos i have to make. I havent rendered yet to see the final quality. but it seems like it should work.

i would  love a solution for when i have video footage (talking head essentially), as well as power point slides. If you have any suggestions for that - please let me know.

You and everyone else has been very helpful today and i really appreciate all the quick responses.

Thank you so much.

Amanda

• 31. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                  i would  love a solution for when i have video footage (talking head essentially), as well as power point slides. If you have any suggestions for that - please let me know.

Well, you could set up for the Video, and then use Scale to Fit for the stills. I hate to do that, especially with material that is not all that sharp to begin with, but for such a small amount of resizing, it might be OK.

Another method would be to set up for the Video, and then create an Action in PS to batch process your stills to match the PAR.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                    changed the PAR to 1.0 - square pixels. This should do the trick

Like I said, match your source exactly.

i would  love a solution for when i have video footage

Until Microsoft builds in a "Video" mode to PowerPoint, which limits users to standard video resolutions and prevents insertion of elements outside title safe areas, all you can do here is resize the exported TIFFs in Photoshop before import into Premiere.

• 33. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                      feebee45 Level 1

Hi Jim,

I rendered the movie with the slides matching the sequence - and i rendered as an FLV, Web Large preset, and the quality turned out much worse than I expected and hoped. The size of the seq is the same as the TIFFs. they both have 1.0 square pix aspect ratio.  I really don't know what the problem is here. Is there anything else I can be missing? Is there anything I can send that would help?

should i export as 960x720 then play in the 640x480 player?

When i am in premiere and do the file - export - and view it in the source tab - it looks GREAT - very crisp and clear. But then when i render and put into our video player - terrible.

• 34. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Play the export in something like KM Player.  How's it look?

If bad, the only thing you can do at this point is up the bitrate.

• 35. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                          should i export as 960x720 then play in the 640x480 player?

You might have stated this already, but I could not find it. If so, I apologize for asking again.

What is your exact, intended delivery scheme? More details will be better than too few.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                            feebee45 Level 1

I have a power point presentation - and I am adding slides to the audio for the presentation (it was a conference call where people watched slides through adobe connect but called into a phone number to listen to the audio - then the audio was recorded and given to  us on CD)

Now I need to make this a streaming video - so im putting the slides in with the audio - and just have the appropriate slide showing with the appropriate audio.

Then I need to put this on our website - in a custom made FLV player - that is 640x480.   When I put the rendered FLV on the server and play in this player - it looks REALLY bad.

• 37. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the details.

I need to put this on our website - in a custom made FLV player - that is 640x480.

I'd go with the 640 x 480 to match that player's dimensions.

Now, as for the quality, Jim does a whole lot more FLV work than I do, so let's let him review your settings and your intended delivery for comments on getting that quality up. I am anything BUT an expert here.

In the meantime, what bit-rate did you test with already, and are their any limitations on your server's capabilities? That info will help.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 38. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                                feebee45 Level 1

I used a bitrate of 400 to try to keep the file size at least reasonable.

i have tested it with higher bitrate though, and it doesnt get much better.

this presentation is an HOUR long, with 19 slides. The slides are literally text.

here is an example of the poor quality of JUST a slide with text - in the FLV player - online

Picture-1.gif

• 39. Re: 960 x 720 TIFFs in premiere
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

FeeBee,

Might be a bit late, and might be of no use at all, considering where your source material is coming from, but here's an ARTICLE on Titles. Maybe some little bit of it can be applied back at the Photoshop level to help? At the least, might offer some food-for-thought for the next assignment.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next