5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 5:30 PM by A.T. Romano

AVCHD converter question

new age outlaw

Here are the bullet points

• I took some footage from my Cannon HF 200.
      • The footage was taken on a 32 SDHC card.
      • The footage is now transferred to an external drive. I am using Adobe Premiere 8.
      • The footage is in the MTS. format and I am trying to convert it.
      • I am looking at this called AVCH converter but unsure if it is any good and I do not want to download spamware
      • I have heard that something called a video splitter would be good.

I just want to convert the footage into a format where the video does not skip and looks presentable.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

• 1. Re: AVCHD converter question
          Kodebuster Level 3

Check out this link from the FAQ on conversion for AVCHD:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

Beware, minimum recommendation for AVCHD editing with PE is a Quad with at least 4 gig of ram.

Anything less will be a challenge at best...

A conversion to HDV as your attempting is a good move on a system with less speed, and will be less stressful on the hardware (and yourself)...

• 2. Re: AVCHD converter question
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I fully agree with kodebuster!

But just to add to that -- converting from AVCHD will not likely cause any reduction in the quality of the video itself. It may be a little larger of a file, but it will still look great and still be hi-def. It should load right into a Premiere Elements project that's set up for HDV.

My question though has to do with your final request, that it be "presentable."

Presentable on what?

Depending on whether you plan to display this final video on BluRay disc, standard DVD, on a Web site or on a computer desktop, there may be things to consider

• 3. Re: AVCHD converter question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

New Age Outlaw

Have you read the recent thread of Cyberioten1?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/508042?tstart=30

ATR

• 4. Re: AVCHD converter question
                new age outlaw Level 1

Thank you everyone for your answers. I have a lot of work ahead of me but

at least I am in the right direction.

I do have another question, make that two questions.

I heard that I could also do a preview render of file in Premiere during the editing phase.

Would that also work?

Also when I attempted to open up the MTS files, a window popped up asking what program do I want to use to open them

up in? I chose Windows Media player. It is still an MTS file but will this have any effect during the conversion process?

Once again, thank you for answers, as you can tell I am a complete at this and I am really glad I chose Adobe Premiere over Vegas.

• 5. Re: AVCHD converter question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

New Age Outlaw

I am not sure that I fully understand what you are getting at when you say....

"I heard that I could also do a preview render of file in Premiere during the editing phase.

Would that also work?"

Your project preset (new project dialog) is set as close as possible to the properties of the video to be imported so that you will have a reasonable template from which to edit. If you video is AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (that is 1920 x 1080 frame size at 30 frames per second) and did not have 5.1 channel sound, you would select the project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30. By default, Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Default Scale to Frame Size" would be checked.

So, when you go to Render the Timeline (Edit Mode) by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard, the end result will be the best possible preview of the end product displayed in the Edit Mode Monitor. It does not impact Quality. The program generates preview files to be used for preview purposes. There is no encoding going on in this process. This Rendering does not stop you from exporting with a different export choice. But, the ideal is as described to edit with a template as close as possible to the source media and export accordingly. Beware of those high definition rendered preview files and any pile ups of them on your hard drive. Best direct those preview files to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32).

Playback of your Canon AVCHD with a .mts file extension is another story. True, you right click the video and see an option for Open With, but will your AVCHD .mts playback natively in Windows Media Player. I think not unless you have certain plugins and third party decoders. The choice of player may present a challenge. I am not sure if I understand what you mean by:

"Also when I attempted to open up the MTS files, a window popped up asking what program do I want to use to open them

up in? I chose Windows Media player. It is still an MTS file but will this have any effect during the conversion process?

Playback of a video on a player should not impact its properties, so I am not sure what I am missing here.

ATR