18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 4:22 PM by Monika Gause

Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

shunithD Level 3

Hi...

Am trying to create some art for some large posters...

I. Brushes:

1. Have created several brushes... apply them along a path... not possible to change the colour of fill or stroke... Have to Expand Appearance and the fills become a problem. So what does one do? Set colour in the master and keep saving the brushes as brush-red, brush-green, etc.?

2. Gather Brushes are not vector...? To manipulate them – distort, warp, etc., – one has to first Expand Appearance. Question: are they still vector at that stage?

II. Pen tool:

Find it very irritaing that every time one wants to creat an anchor point one has to revert to the Anchor point tool... and even then, clicking doesn't seem to be enough. One has to actually drag a wee bit before the anchor point gets converted. Must be a short cut or simplified workaround that i'm missing??

III. Sizes:

227 inches; Seems to be the max width... crazy... surely it should depend on total size? Meaning w x h and the raster settngs...

Cheers!

S

• 1. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

shunith,

Obviously, there are some limitations.

I. Brushes:

1. Have created several brushes... apply them along a path... not possible to change the colour of fill or stroke... Have to Expand Appearance and the fills become a problem. So what does one do? Set colour in the master and keep saving the brushes as brush-red, brush-green, etc.?

Yes.

2. Gather Brushes are not vector...? To manipulate them – distort, warp, etc., – one has to first Expand Appearance. Question: are they still vector at that stage?

Yes, and yes.

II. Pen tool:

Find it very irritaing that every time one wants to creat an anchor point one has to revert to the Anchor point tool... and even then, clicking doesn't seem to be enough. One has to actually drag a wee bit before the anchor point gets converted. Must be a short cut or simplified workaround that i'm missing??

You may click P to get to the Pen Tool. If you wish to create a curve rather than a corner, you will have to drag, otherwise there is no need to convert.

III. Sizes:

227 inches; Seems to be the max width... crazy... surely it should depend on total size? Meaning w x h and the raster settngs...

The size of the Workspace is limited to 227x227. You may draw to a suitable scale.

Cheers!

S

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Double click on the brush in the Brush panel and make sure the Color dropdown is set to Tints. This will allow you to color the line by changing the color in the Color panel.  You can use the Envelope Distort from the Object menu to distort brush objects. You can also Expand the Appearance. Both items are still vector. The Pen tool works by clicking. It will put an Anchor point where ever you click. If you want them to be part of a Bezier line, then you must drag slightly after you click and hold. The Max size is not big enough for some projects (vehicle wraps, large signs, murals) which have to be done in scale. The Raster stuff only comes into play when using effects of placed images.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
              shunithD Level 3

Jacob...

Thanks

S

• 4. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                shunithD Level 3

Larry...

Thanks...

Cheers...

S

• 5. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                  shunithD Level 3

Hi Jacob / Larry:

Your responses were / are rather a help... thanks again. Some points / questions tho'.

1/ The Pen tool. Yes i generally know that... but say i want to create a wave... so i drop a zig-zag and then go to try and curve the straight lines. OK?

Options:

a. Initially drag a wee bit at every click while laying down the anchor with the pen tool. (Bit of a pain)

b. Switch to the anchor tool and click on each point. Doesn't work - you have to still drag it a bit... (Equal if not greater pain)

Wouldn't it be so much easier to have the anchor point convert on the click of the convert tool... or even double click... or double click of the direct select tool (white arrow) or even have a right click fly out option to convert? Or am i missing something?

2/ Size. Yes, can draw to a suitable scale... but then how / what / who increases it to actual scale at time of printing?

Cheers,

S

• 6. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

S,

1/ The Pen tool. Yes i generally know that... but say i want to create a wave... so i drop a zig-zag and then go to try and curve the straight lines. OK?

Options:

a. Initially drag a wee bit at every click while laying down the anchor with the pen tool. (Bit of a pain)

b. Switch to the anchor tool and click on each point. Doesn't work - you have to still drag it a bit... (Equal if not greater pain)

I presume you use the Convert Anchor Point Tool (flyout from the Pen Tool) in b.

It may be easier to answer if you show what you wish to obtain: Illy has no way of knowing how you want the wave curved unless you tell her. If you just want a rounding (of your choice) at the Anchor Points of otherwise straight segments, you may use Effect>Stylize>Round Corners, otherwise you have to establish the curving somehow.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to have the anchor point convert on the click of the convert tool... or even double click... or double click of the direct select tool (white arrow) or even have a right click fly out option to convert? Or am i missing something?

2/ Size. Yes, can draw to a suitable scale... but then how / what / who increases it to actual scale at time of printing?

This is a recurring issue. Usually the printer.

• 7. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not certain why you think you have to expand a brush in order to change the color but there are colorization methods available and depending on the type of brush the method for changing the brushes color using the picker changes as well.

Does this do what you want? I am probably misunderstanding something.

Screen shot 2009-10-20 at 7.35.06 AM.png

• 8. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                        shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I presume you use the Convert Anchor Point Tool (flyout from the Pen Tool) in b.

It may be easier to answer if you show what you wish to obtain: Illy has no way of knowing how you want the wave curved unless you tell her. If you just want a rounding (of your choice) at the Anchor Points of otherwise straight segments, you may use Effect>Stylize>Round Corners, otherwise you have to establish the curving somehow.

This is a recurring issue. Usually the printer.

Hi Jacob...

Yes, i meant the Convert Anchor Point Tool (CAPT)... And i'm talking generally... you know.... say you want to create a wavy line... one generally clicks a few points and then goes back to get the waviness just right... that's what i mean... the whole thing seems a bit cumbersome... go back, use (CAPT), then too one has to drag a bit.. then use the Direct Selection Tool for actually getting down to business... so much easier if a double click by the DST or the a single click by the CAPT converted the anchor point... even a right click fly out with an option... FWIW. Was just hoping there was a short cut key or something which, combined with the click of some tool, converted the anchor point.

Regarding size... if you take an ai file to the printer how does he increase it (the scale)?

Shunith

• 9. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                          shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

I am not certain why you think you have to expand a brush in order to change the color but there are colorization methods available and depending on the type of brush the method for changing the brushes color using the picker changes as well.

Does this do what you want? I am probably misunderstanding something.

Yup.. have been trying that Wade.. partly solves the problem or let's say scene, but not completely... Guess i'll have to play around a bit more...

Cheers....

S

• 10. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

S,

Regarding size... if you take an ai file to the printer how does he increase it (the scale)?

If you end up saving as PDF and print it on a printer (machine), you can print it to any size available, and the artwork will scale to fit. You can see it if you create an A5 PDF and print it at A4. The other printer (hopefully human) can do the same.

• 11. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                              shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

If you end up saving as PDF and print it on a printer (machine), you can print it to any size available, and the artwork will scale to fit. You can see it if you create an A5 PDF and print it at A4. The other printer (hopefully human) can do the same.

Jacob,

If i get you right, you're saying that a PDF is losslesly scalable... a vector format in other words?

S

• 12. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

S,

If i get you right, you're saying that a PDF is losslesly scalable... a vector format in other words?

To the extent that you save vector objects. If everything is vector, it is losslessly scalable. From Illy you may save with or without the editing capabilities; in the former case, the PDF holds a full Illy file.

• 13. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                                  shunithD Level 3

To the extent that you save vector objects. If everything is vector, it is losslessly scalable. From Illy you may save with or without the editing capabilities; in the former case, the PDF holds a full Illy file.

Jacob...

Sorry to go on and on... but am trying to understand this... The printer would have to have a program to open the Illy or PDF file. What would he use to open the Illy size-limited file and scale it to twice or triple the size? Acrobat? And would he have to receive the file as a PDF (no need for Illy editing compatibility here i should think) or the original Illy file with PDF enabled in the Illy file?

Cheers...

S

Edit: Green text added

• 14. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

S,

What would he use to open the Illy size-limited file and scale it to twice or triple the size? Acrobat? And would he have to receive the file as a PDF (no need for Illy editing compatibility here i should think) or the original Illy file with PDF enabled in the Illy file?

I believe PDF has become the standard, with no need to send the Illy file, nor the editing capability. I cannot tell you about applications for printing; I have hardly glanced over the fence, some time ago, and more busy talking over the counting glass.

• 15. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

Have you checked out the Effects>Distort & Transform>Zig Zag which will take a straight line and make it wavy. One of the options is to use a smooth path which when Expanded will have the control handles for each point. Another way is to use the Path>Simplify and use a Curve Precision of 99 or 100%. The converted path will have Bezier anchor points with extended handles.

• 16. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                                        shunithD Level 3

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

Have you checked out the Effects>Distort & Transform>Zig Zag which will take a straight line and make it wavy. One of the options is to use a smooth path which when Expanded will have the control handles for each point. Another way is to use the Path>Simplify and use a Curve Precision of 99 or 100%. The converted path will have Bezier anchor points with extended handles.

Larry...

yup, thanks... but actually, was just taking about the cumbersomeness of the P series of tools... and hoping there was a short cut or something that could enable an anchor point conversion with a click-key combination using the direct selection tool rather than having to keep switching from that to the CAPT and back...

• 17. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...

You can make an Action which will invoke the Path>Simplify command and assign it to an F-key which would be the same.

• 18. Re: Help regarding brushes, sizes and such like...
                                            Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before you take the pen tool, click once on direct selection tool. Then take the pen tool. Now you click oder click-and-drag to create points. If you want to temporarily change to direct-selection tool, just press the Cmd/Ctrl-key. If you want to temporarily change to anchor-convert-tool, press the Opt/Alt-key.

To convert points to and fro corner to smooth you can also use the buttons in the control panel (works since version CS3)