1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:44 PM by Jim_Simon

Adjusting legal video to look better with waveform monitor?

whatsamatteru

I am working with PremierePro CS3.

I am editing lots of poorly shot DV video from conference events. The YC waveform monitor indicates that the whites are just at 100% but the whites lack detail on my calibrated broadcast CRT. When I adjust the output white level to 233, the detail returns. If I use the auto white feature on the input white, it usually selects a value of 233 as well.

The visual effect of adjusting both input and output white to 233 is that the whites that appeared clipped on the source footage now have detail in them and the waveform monitor indicates that the luminance level has been compressed.

My preset for this footage has evolved to be, Input white 233, Output white 233, Gamma 105, Saturation 105%. I leave the blacks at 0.

My first question is, should I need to remap the luminance scale on DV to have it look right? Previously, I've always just left the gamma of DV footage alone and I've gotten pleasing results.

Does having the YC waveform set to 7.5 IRE have any effect on the video, or just the waveform monitor?

The other question is, am I possibly making illegal video by doing this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry

• 1. Re: Adjusting legal video to look better with waveform monitor?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My first question is, should I need to remap the luminance scale on DV to have it look right?

I don't even know how to do that.  What I can say is that DV seems to cheat it's latitude by shooting out of range video, above 100 IRE.  The only solution I know of is the one you've employed, adjusting levels to regain lost highlight detail.

Does having the YC waveform set to 7.5 IRE have any effect on the video, or just the waveform monitor?

I believe monitor only.

am I possibly making illegal video by doing this?

Quite the opposite.  You're actually bringing the out of range video back into legal broadcast range.