0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 12:38 AM by systemsymbiosis

ColdFusion Debugging Problems

systemsymbiosis

Dear All,

I am having severe trouble trying to debug Coldfusion applications. My debugger will not listen for debugging traffic on the port it is assigned. I assign the port via the jvm config file with which I launch my ColdFusion instance.

1..I use this command to launch the ColdFusioh instance

jrun -config "jvm.configColdFusionOne" -start ColdFusionOne

2. These are the arguments passed to the JVM from the config file.

java.args=-server -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/ -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005

3. Then in the console I successfully get the message output.

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 5005

Then I am unable to debug my code either by launching pages from within ColdFusion Builder or hitting CFC files on the server from a Flex Application.

I have a port open in my Firewall assigned to port 5005 using both TCP and UDP protocols.

When I go into the ColdFusion Administrator (which incidentally has the port number 5005 specified as the port to listen for debugging traffic on) for the instance and start and stop my debugger instance, it assigns the debugger to random ports. I get output in the console indicating that the debugger is listening for traffic on a different port number every time (never 5005) I start and stop the debugger instance from within the Administrator. Why does it not respect the port numbers I have assigned from my JVM config file.

I am using ColdFusion Builder and Windows 7 64 bit.

Obviously this situation is making debugging and writting code very unproductive!

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate them.

I should also add that when I had it working, the Debugger would frequently not respect breakpoints in my Code which has been set via the ColdFusion Builder. Again this makes debugging very difficult as it is virtually impossible by stepping through the code to get to the specific line of code which causes the fatal exception and then fix it. The debugger seems to just randomly skip entire blocks of code and not enable step debugging. It then feels like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find thsde culprit code. If anyone has tips about how to counter this aspect of ColdFusion debugging they would be very much appreciated.

I have posted this as an issue in the ColdFusion Builder bug Database, please vote for it if you are having similar troubles.

Thanks

Austin