4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 6:30 AM by Maulsmash

Director 11.5 with 3DS Max 2010

Maulsmash Level 1

I haven't written a line of Lingo since version 6 of director, however, I am currently working a project that requires the use of the 3D capabilities director has that Flash just isn't powerful enough to handle. I need help with my shockwave file and I have found very little relative documentation on this, except for some based on older versions of Director. I import my scene into Direct just fine...all textures and lighting is intact...perfect.  I am able to connect lingo to models in the scene, however I am not able to connect to and attach lights and cameras already in the scene to an object (using addChild)...I can create and attach new cameras and lights just fine, but when I try to reference an existing camera or light created in 3ds max and imported with the 3D scene the camera or light will not respond...any ideas? Hints? I've been following the "Dean's Tutorial" however it seems maybe 11.5 has something I am missing? The Director help files are not too useful...no examples...any help is much appreciated

• 1. Re: Director 11.5 with 3DS Max 2010
          Maulsmash Level 1

Ah., i was able to get this to work, but I had to reference lights and camera by number and not by name

what I was using:

p3Dmember = sprite(me.spriteNum).member

pCharacter = p3Dmember.model("controlObj")

myLightr = p3Dmember.light("light01")

pCharacter.addChild(myLight,#preserveWorld)

What actually works:

p3Dmember = sprite(me.spriteNum).member

pCharacter = p3Dmember.model("controlObj")

myLightr = p3Dmember.light[1]

So we cannot reference scene lights and cameras by name if they are preexisting? However, we can reference models in the scene by name? Any reasoning to this?

• 2. Re: Director 11.5 with 3DS Max 2010
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Some of your code looks familiar:)

I just tested and the follwoing worked for me:

myLightr = p3Dmember.light("omni01")

myLightr = p3Dmember.light("spot01")

What type of lights were you using?

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 3. Re: Director 11.5 with 3DS Max 2010
              Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi again,

I noticed a mistake in your code. You said:

myLightr = p3Dmember.light("light01")

In the second statement, you have 'myLight' instead of 'myLightr'. When you define the light, you have an 'r' at the end of the name. So, you 2 statements don't correspond and would tehrefore give an error.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: Director 11.5 with 3DS Max 2010
                Maulsmash Level 1

AH...yes! DOH!

I've been working in Flash for 10 years and haven't used Director since college (10+ yrs ago). Even though Lingo was the first programing I ever did back then...it's been too long to remember much of anything. Anyway, thank you. Your tutorials are great...even though I am on 11.5 they are still very relevant...seems like Adobe really doesn't care to make much progress with Director. Without your tutorials I would not have known where to start.

It would be nice if Adobe could include some better script error detection like Flash has...an output panel would be nice for testing as well...