7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2009 9:27 PM by pwillener RSS

Adobe 9.2 Won't Install

pzlotnick1

Auto download of new vrsion today.  Gets to 98% install then read "error 1406 could not write value to key..... contact admin"  This is a home pc used only by me.  Something in MS is blocking it from finishing.  I have windows xp (sv pk 3)

Now it won't let me install an older version for same reason.  it removed the previous version so I now have NO reader!  Help!

• 1. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
          ccc4sc

I had a system crash and am rebuilding my applications and tried to download the Adobe 9.2, and couldn't even get it downloaded. It said it couldn't install Adobe Reader -- no explanation other than that!

I don't have a reader either now.  I have Windows XP, SP3 and all the latest upgrades.

Would appreciate help from Adobe as to why it won't install!

• 2. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
            pwillener ACP/MVPs

Are you installing Adobe Reader under a user with Administrator rights?

If not -> can you run the downloaded installer (right-click, Run-as..., Administrator).

If yes -> do you know how to use the registry editor? If yes, can you check the access rights of the key in the error message?

• 3. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
              pzlotnick1 Community Member

It's a home pc used only by myself.  I know nothing about "Aministor" or "Registry".  I have downloaded Adobe updates several times before and had no  problems

• 4. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
                ccc4sc Community Member

Yes, on my home computer, and I have administrator rights.  I am not an expert of any kind with the registry editor.

I don't know what I have on my computer that could be stopping it from downloading.  It looks like the installer downloads but the Reader 9.2 can't download.

I have had 2 crashes in the last 3 weeks and am rebuilding my applications after the installation of Windows XP, SP 3 to the latest updates so would think it would install.

• 5. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
                  pwillener ACP/MVPs

pzlotnick1 wrote:

It's a home pc used only by myself.  I know nothing about "Aministor" or "Registry".  I have downloaded Adobe updates several times before and had no  problems

Have you tried to right-click on the downloaded installer, then select "Run as...": Administrator?

I don't know why you suddenly have troubles writing to the registry, but some problems do require some technical knowledge.

• 6. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
                    ccc4sc Community Member

I finally got it installed.  The error msg that I got when I was downloading/installing both the downloader and Adobe Reader 9.2 said that it couldn't install Adobe Reader; therefore I didn't think it was installed.  Due to your response, I decided to look for the Adobe Downloader in my program files, and didn't see it, but did see Adobe Flash 9, so I clicked on it and then it had the option to "install."  So I clicked that and it installed!  I guess that program that just said Adobe Reader WAS the installer.  The error message was what threw me!

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Adobe 9.2 Won't Install
                      pwillener ACP/MVPs

Very confusing all that, but I'm glad you finally got it installed.