7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 9:00 AM by Lynnette Pryce

linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5

Lynnette Pryce

HI,

I need some assistance. It's been years and years since I used Pagemaker and I am trying to do the following: create an anchor for a section title, then I would like to create multiple hyperlinks within the document to refer back to this section as required by the activity. Also, I want these links to work when printing to a PDF.  I know this should be simple, but I am struggling with the manual to find exactly what I need to do in order to get this funtionality in the final manual.

Please assist... 

Thanks -

Lynnette

• 1. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
          BigJohnD Level 3

http://www.adobe.com/print/tips/pmk7hyperlinkorama/index.html

The above is the link to the PM tutorial for creating hyperlinks.

However for them to pull through to a PDF, you have to use PM's Export… AdobePDF…macro  - any other other method for creating the PDF will lose all the links.

The alternative is to forget the links in PM, convert the publication(s) to PDF and then create the links with Acrobat (which IMHO is easier).

However if you do not have Acrobat, you have no choice.

See: http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PageMakerExportPDF/index.htm for some help with PM's Export… AdobePDF…macro

Iechyd da! John
          22:59 20/10/2009 BST

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
            Lynnette Pryce Level 1

Thank you so much.  We are still having some issues.  We have no problem creating an anchor. Where we are running into difficulty is linking from another part of the same chapter or another chapter back to the the Task anchor.  Did Pagemaker 6.5 work differently?  I want to be able to use a feature like Word uses for cross-referencing or creating links to sections for documents. In Microsoft, much of this is automated from the headings.  I do not see a like feature in Pagemaker.  We found the anchor and get stuck there. It appears the link is not being applied or we get an error.

• 3. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
              BigJohnD Level 3

When you say "Chapter" do you mean another PM file?

If you do, then PM is clever enough to create a TOC covering all the chapters when using the book utility as it uses its own page counting and style sheet, but it can't change manage hyperlinks other than to absolute references, e.g http://www.adobe.co.uk  or to another filename.

In practice that is usually enough.

PM6.5 is very similar to PM7 - in fact many people think PM7 should been called PM6.6

Sadly I now have only PM7 and I haven't got round to trying to get my Export… AdobePDF… set up to work with my version of Distiller (7 I think).

Iechyd da! John
              22:30 21/10/2009 BST

(Got the Export… AdobePDF… sorted - it just needed some tinkering with the  "Acrobat PPD")

Message was edited by: BigJohnD at 22:56 BST

• 4. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
                BigJohnD Level 3

I think I've only partly answered your question.

This is what you want to do, isn't it?  http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PMForum/PDFTest.pdf

Open this PDF, scroll right to the last para on page 3 (the source), click on the text and it goes, in this case, to start of the document (the anchor).

Iechyd da! John
                23:14 21/10/2009 BST

• 5. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
                  Lynnette Pryce Level 1

John,

You got it.  That is exactly what I want to do. How did you do that? And is it possible to go between files in a book using anchors?

In addition, when the file is published to PDF will there be a visual indicator that the text has a link.  When I opened the attached sample I would have never known to click the paragraph  you told me.  We'll need a visual cue for users since we won't be there to tell them where the links are. :-)

Thanks so much!

Lynnette

• 6. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
                    BigJohnD Level 3

I did it in a bit of rush, so there was nothing obvious in the last paragraph.  I've added Return to Page One (i.e. blue text, underscored) and made that the referring source.

See:  http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PMForum/PDFTest2.pdf

As regards how to do it.

1. Create the anchor first.

a) Select where you want the anchor to be, for example, place the text tool at the beginning of the very first line.

b) In the Hyperlinks pallete, click the little arrow in the top right corner, and select "New Anchor"

c) Either use the defualt name ("Anchor1) or enter your own.

d) Click OK.

2. Link the source(s) (i.e. the place in the document which you will click on in the PDF to jump to the anchor)

a) Click on the anchor in the Hyperlinks pallete.

b) Navigate around the publication to the place where you want the source to be, e.g. some text or an image.  Or enter the text, such as "Click here", and format the text as you wish it to appear.

c) Then click the little arrow in the top right corner of the Hyperlinks pallete (making sure the anchor is still selected) and click "New Source"

d) Either use the default name ("Source1") or enter your own.

e) Click OK.

f) You can add more sources to the same anchor if you wish.

Note that you cannot link to another PM file, even if it open along side the primary publication.

3. Save the publication.

4. Check you have selected the Master Pointer and create your PDF using "Export… AdobePDF…. (No other way of creating the PDF will preserve the links you have created.)

5. Open the newly created in Acrobat READER, and check.   Return to the original PM publication if further editing is required, and if changes are made, re-create the PDF.

And is it possible to go between files in a book using anchors?

Not by using PM, but after creating your book, you can use Acrobat to create the links.

PM can create a TOC covering all the chapters when using the book utility as it creates its own page counting and and uses its own TOC style sheet.

Hope this helps,

Iechyd da! John
                    19:43 22/10/2009 BST

• 7. Re: linkning within documents/books with vers 6.5
                      Lynnette Pryce Level 1

Thank you so much John!