19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 11:30 AM by the_wine_snob

How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?

WHoit

Whenever I start Premiere Elements 8, it asks me to locate some missing clips (I deleted them from my machine as I no longer need them).

If I choose "skip all", it proceeds into Premiere, but the next time I start up, it asks me again!

How do I stop Premiere from asking me about missing clips?

• 1. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
          rawatts

You should be able to right click on the missing clip in the organize window and delete the clips or if in the edit window right click and clear.

Bob

• 2. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
            WHoit Level 1

It's not in the organizer window.

"Skip all" is showing up in Premiere when I open a project  - NOT in the Organizer

• 3. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
              rawatts Level 1

Yes, I understand, but you should see green and red chasing arrows in the icon for the missing file in the organizer.  I believe if you delete these you will get rid of the Skip all message the next time you load the project.  If someone has a better answer we both will learn something.

Bob

• 4. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                WHoit Level 1

When I open the Organizer, everything is fine. No red/green arrows, no missing clips.

It's only when I open the project that something seems to be missing.

• 5. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

WHoit

After you save a Premiere Elements project .prel, you CANNOT move/delete the source media that you brought into and used, Media/Timeline.

When you do, you will get what you got:

a. Project .prel opens and you are greeted by: "Where is the File.........?". Either you direct the program to where you moved the file to in order to reconnect the link between the source medium and Premiere Elements or Premiere Elements will try to find it for you. In your case, the choice of Skip dismissed the issue momentarily and no one, neither you nor the program, is going to find the source media because you deleted it. If you had just moved the source media, you could have directed the program to the new file location or let the program try to find it. But, that solved half the problem, namely the Timeline side. You would also need to right click the thumbnail for the file in the Media (the thumbnail having the green red arrows ) and then click on Update to get that back.

b. If there is a strong need to delete source media for a saved project, then use the Project Archiver/Archiver or Copy option which allows you to save your project with copies of media in a special folder.

The answer to your original question about not getting those Missing Messages is not to move or delete the source media for a saved project unless it is saved via the Project Archiver feature located under the File Menu.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that they are showing up as "missing," when you Open your Project is because they are still referenced in your Project Panel (Media>Project) [Note: exact syntax might differ by version). You have removed the references to them in the Timeline and have deleted the files from your system. However, they are still in your Project Panel and need to be deleted (you're deleting references to them) there too.

Once done, just Save your Project, and the messages will disappear, when you Open it again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the Project Panel in PrE 4:

PE_Project_Panel.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I do not know yet if WHoit appreciates the fact that, as per your comments, the project will open without the missing messages BUT the media will not be there either. I am not sure if WHoit realizes that. And, if the media has been deleted there is no means to re-import them since they no longer exist.

Let us see.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are 100% correct. From the OP, it was my understanding that these files were not going to be used in this Project. If they really are, then they need to be retrieved (from backup, hopefully), or by re-Capture, as they have been deleted from the HDD.

Your methods should help in the future, if such media files are really still required. Some do not understand that the Project file is NOT a repository for media - it is only an XML database of links and instructions. This ARTICLE goes into more details on that.

If I am incorrect on these deleted files still being required, I do hope that copies of them exist elsewhere, or that a recovery program, like Stellar-Phoenix, can be run, before the HDD space gets overwritten. I hope that I am correct.

Thanks for the warnings and for the instructions on how to handle things, in the event that the files ARE still needed in the Project.

In my exampe above, one can see the Video usage column. In the OP's case, these should be empty, i.e. no numbers present. If they have ANY numbers besides them, they should also appear as Off-Line, and then the OP needs to get those back and in a hurry.

Here's a look at that Video Usage Column:

PE_Project_Panel_02.jpg

Good luck to the OP and please let us know exactly what the state of these files is, regarding your Project.

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                            WHoit Level 1

ATR - yes, it's true the best way to not have this problem in the future is to not do what I did.

However, that does not help me resolve the current problem.

There is no indication of the missing files anywhere in Premiere.

No flashing icons, no blank thumbnails - nothing. Only the notice(s) when I first open the project.

The problem is that when I choose "skip all" I should also have the option of removing these references

from the .prel file and that option is not offered.

So even if I continue to work with my project and save changes, the references still exist in the .prel file.

So I guess I'll have to edit xml in the .prel file.

• 11. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              There is no indication of the missing files anywhere in Premiere. No flashing icons, no blank thumbnails - nothing. Only the notice(s) when I first open the project.

So you are saying that these Clips do not appear in your Project Panel? Did you also remove them from there, as well as from the Timeline (if used), and the physical files from the HDD?

If that is the case, then editing the .PREL file might be your only hope, or just choose Skip All, each time that you Open the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

WHoit

It sounded to me initially that you were determined to open a saved project prel whose media had been deleted after the saving. From your determination to continue in this project, I am left to believe that you know what you did, the reason behind it, and that there are still some images that are still OK in that project and that you want to salvage the project for their sake.

Hunt may have given you the wrapper to do this, but I will re-state. I have tried this and it does work for what you say you did and want to get. Bottom line: no flashing lights....you missed deletes necessary from Project View Media.(Click on Edit Tab, orange in color, and the Project Tab, black in color, on the row below the Edit Tab.)

1. Open your project.prel, the one with some of its media deleted from hard drive after saving project .prel

2. When the Missing Message Appears, Select Skip All.

3. When you are in the workspace, you have 3 places to delete

a. the Timeline thumbnails

b. the Organizer thumbnails

c. the Project Media View thumbnails

After you delete all reference to those previously wiped out media, save/close the project, reopen the project, and you will have your project without traces of those wiped out media.

At first, it was not getting through to me why you did not just start over in a new project prel. I envisened you in a project without media anyway.

That should work. It worked for me. If it does not work for you, I will go back and look at it again to figure out why your try at it is not working.

ATR

• 13. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

WHoit

Hunt's last post was not there when I hit the Post Message Button for my message.

You are missing the Project Media View, a major workarea in the Premiere Elements 7 workflow.

ATR

• 14. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Offline Icon (no flashing, etc.) and the Status in the Media Type Column. This is in the Project Panel:

PE_Project_Panel_03.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

WHoit

Any updates on your situation? Curosity is one of my major vices.

Did you find the Project Media View  found as per:

"Bottom line: no flashing lights....you missed deletes necessary from Project View Media.(Click on Edit Tab, orange in color, and then click on Project Tab, black in color, on the row below the Edit Tab.)"

ATR

• 16. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                        WHoit Level 1

It turns out that it's the "Projects" icon in the "Organize" menu (blue tab) in Premiere 8, and it does work.

I see the green/red icons (they look like recycle icons) just like in the screenshot above.

So, it took a bit of back-n-forth, but it works - THANKS!

• 17. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          So, it took a bit of back-n-forth, but it works - THANKS!

Great news!

Because of the Organize/Organizer tabs, plus the Project Panel tab, it can get a bit confusing on where things are. As I use Adobe Bridge for most of my "browsing," and media organization, I usually only see my Project Panel, so forget that other users might not spend as much time in it, as I do.

In PrPro, I have my Project Panel open all of the time, and even have it as full-screen on my second monitor for two of my Custom Workspaces. That is how important it is to me.

Thanks for reporting, and good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

WHoit

Sorry about my mental lapse regarding the version that you were using...the relocation of the Project Tab under Organizer Tab was noticed in my first look at Premiere Elements 8. But toward the end of your thread, I drifted into Premiere Elements 7 details for several reasons which I will not go into. I am very details oriented so I apologize for giving you the feature location for 7 instead of 8.

My Premiere Elements 8 expired a few days ago and already my thoughts are reprogramed to Premiere Elements 7 again.

ATR

• 19. Re: How to stop from asking about Missing Clips?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              Sorry about my mental lapse regarding the version that you were using...the relocation of the Project Tab under Organizer Tab was noticed in my first look at Premiere Elements 8

ATR,

You are still ahead of me on the relocation of the various tabs. I'm still on PrE 4 (the version that I did the screen-caps from), so that was all that I had to go on. You were closer than I was!

Hunt

PS - such things nail me too with PrPro CS4 questions, as I only know the location and names of things in PrPro 2.0. Heck, I still have to search for locations and names, when in PrE, 'cause I know them from PrPro, and things are different, even though those two programs were contemporaries of each other. Just new "tricks" for this "old dog."