2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 4:21 PM by GraphicsGeezer

How to create a rollover as part of an image

GraphicsGeezer Level 1

I want to create a background image with a button in the middle. I only want the button to act like a rollover. But when I create it in Fireworks only the slice is exported, not the rest of the image.

• 1. Re: How to create a rollover as part of an image
          pixlor Level 4

A rollover consists of at least two images, some JavaScript code that recognizes when the mouse is over the image and swaps it for another, and the HTML to contain it all. Images are simple data files, they are not active code and they cannot contain links or rollovers, or anything like that.

You need to export your background image separately from your button. Next, you need to export your button states. Then, you need to create a Web page where you set your background image as the background for an HTML element (maybe a div, maybe a table cell) and you place your button rollover inside the HTML element. (Dreamweaver would be really good for this.)

You can't do it with just a single image.

• 2. Re: How to create a rollover as part of an image
            GraphicsGeezer Level 1

Actually I just figured out an easier method-- use the export cropping tool and make sure the background image is on both states below the button image. I must have spend two hours looking for a solution and then stumbled on it by accident. I don't think it's mentioned in the manual.