4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 6:50 AM by the_wine_snob

AVI File

rtprtp Level 1

Hi Folks,

A client is goint to give me an AVI file of some footage to edit. Do I need to convert it to anything before editing it into the other HDV footage in PE7, or can I just bring it in?

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: AVI File
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what codec that AVI uses. You can find that out by opening the file in Windows MovieMaker and then going to File/Properties.

If you're lucky, it will use the DV codec.

In that case your only issue will be that it will be a standard definition video -- and you'll be putting it into an HDV project.

Remember, standard DV has less than a fourth of the resolution of hi-def. You can blow it up to fit the video frame, but it's likely to look over-rezzed and fuzzy.

• 2. Re: AVI File
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

This ARTICLE will give you some background on AVI files (and also many other "wrappers").

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVI File
              rtprtp Level 1

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated, as always!!

Stan

• 4. Re: AVI File
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

Good luck, and hope that you've gotten some help. When you get the .AVI, the first thing that I would do would be to run it through G-Spot, to check out its specs. completely. If you have any questions, specific to that file, a screen-cap of the G-Spot GUI with the file loaded, would go a very long way to help others help you with that file. Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar to attach that screen-cap. Doing a screen-cap will also save you a bunch of typing - the adage that "a picture is worth a thousand words," is really ture in this case.

Hunt