5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 9:21 PM by Bran3

Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?

Bran3

Could someone please explain the upgrade path to Adobe Reader 8.1.7 for me? I read the tech note "Adobe Acrobat and Reader Updating and Deployment Information" and I find myself still a little unsure.

Our most currently deployed version is 8.1.6 but some of our users still have older versions (8.1.2 ~ 8.1.5) installed. I have been distributing Adobe Reader via SMS 2003 since version 8.1.2 as below:

8.1.2 - Customized using Adobe Cusomtization Wizard 8 (Setup.exe /sPB /rs /rps)

8.1.3 - Customized using Adobe Cusomtization Wizard 8 (Setup.exe /sPB /rs /rps)

8.1.4 - Straight (installAdbeRdrUpd814_all_incr.msp /qb-! /norestart)

8.1.5 - Straight install (AdbeRdrUpd815_all_incr.msp /qb-! /norestart)

8.1.6 - Straight install (AdbeRdrUpd816_all_incr.msp /qb-! /norestart)

So what is my upgrade path for Adobe Reader 8.1.7 - straight install (AdbeRdrUpd817_all_incr.msp /qb-! /norestart) or do I need to customize it using the Adobe Cusomization wizard to retain the desired settings? Appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?
          Bran3 Level 1

Sadly these forums don't seem to have the same level of activity and feedback as the NNTP newsgroup did (sigh). Is there anyone who can advise on this? Thanks again.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?
            deepak_sisodia

Adobe Reader 8.1.7 patch can be applied only over 8.1.6. So first you have to bring all your systems to 8.1.6 and then apply 8.1.7 patch.

Custom settings won't get affected if you install 8.1.7.

If you have a system with 8.1.3 or 8.1.4 or 8.1.5 then do this -

Apply 8.1.6 patch --> Apply 8.1.7 patch

If you have a system with 8.1.6 then do this -

Apply 8.1.7 patch

If you have a clean system  then shortest way to install Reader 8.1.7 is-

Install Reader 8.1.3--> Apply 8.1.6 patch --> Apply 8.1.7 patch

NOTE: Reader 8.1.3 is a full installer(msi) whereas 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 are patches(msp).

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?
              Bran3 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Deepak. That is what I was expecting but when I read the Adobe KB cpsid_49880 (link), it had me feeling somewhat unsure as to what is correct. The "quarterly" and "security" releases and unacceptable upgrade paths.

Administrative Deployment

Due to the intentional difference between "Security" and "Quarterly" Updates, IT professionals desiring to deploy Acrobat or Reader products from an Administration Installation Point (AIP) must follow certain guidelines as noted below.

• AIP Creation: Quarterly Updates cannot be applied to an AIP in which a Security Update was the most recently applied Update. Therefore, to deploy a new full Quarterly Update from an AIP, create an AIP (or use previous) which includes only Quarterly Updates.

To clarify, shown below are examples of acceptable and UNacceptable "AIP" configurations:

Acceptable:      Acrobat 9.0.0 (Original Product) -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.1 (Security)

Acceptable:      Acrobat 9.0.0 (Original Product) -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly)

Unacceptable:  Acrobat 9.0.0 (Original Product) -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.1 (Security) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly)

Note, Attempting to create an AIP using the last configuration shown above will fail. The failure, however, serves to prevent a usage of updates which is not recommended by Adobe.

If I am simply installing via SMS 2003 using the command "AdbeRdrUpd817_all_incr.msp /qb-! /norestart)" do the above rules not apply (given that the end users have a 8.1.6 installed?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?
                deepak_sisodia Level 2

These rules are only for the Admin Install point(AIP) creation and deployment.

Your case is different.

What you are doing looks perfectly fine to me.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.7 upgrade path?
                  Bran3 Level 1

Thank you for the confirmation Deepak. I have gone ahead with testing now and then proceed to deploy. Much appreciated.