5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 11:19 PM by person1w2009

Import table of contents Captivate 3

person1w2009

Hi everyone,

I´m using captivate 3 and want to import an external flash-based table of contents, so I don`t have to use the given skin.

Does anyone know if this is basically possible and if so, what I have to do to make it work?

I`m kind of lost here :-(

Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers, Eva

• 1. Re: Import table of contents Captivate 3
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your question is not all clear to me. Do you want this TOC to be visible all the time, and  have this TOC to use for navigation? This functionality has been added in CP4, but you want something similar in CP3? Can you explain a little bit more?

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Import table of contents Captivate 3
            person1w2009 Level 1

It`s exactly as you say: I would like to use this TOC as navigation, permanently visble and usable.

I think I heard about such a functionality in version 4 (now that you mention it), though I`m not sure about that.

Does it make my problem any clearer?

• 3. Re: Import table of contents Captivate 3
              Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

I do not think this will be easy. Is your project a software demonstration or simulation (eventually part of it)? In that case some of the slides will automatically move to the next slide, or been triggered by a user action to move to the next slide. The screen captures will normally cover the entire slide. But you want to have space left for your TOC. Since this feature (TOC) appeared in CP4 I adapted it right away for almost all my projects, because I like the fact that the user has a good view of the total content and his progression.

TOC.png

But I never really tried to realize this in CP3. To realize this in CP it will take a lot of work, I'm afraid. Perhaps some Flash-wiser gurus will help you here. You would need a lot of click boxes and 'jump to slide' actions and a lot of testing. And while capturing you will need to leave space to insert the TOC. I'm very sorry not to be able to help you more.

Lilybiri

• 4. Re: Import table of contents Captivate 3
                www.cpguru.com Level 4

You can import a Flash based TOC into Captivate 3 and you will also be able to get it to navigate to slides etc.

Captivate 3 navigation can be controlled through some system variables so basically you would send requests through these variables from your Flash TOC and then Captivate will move to that particular slide.

When you program your Flash TOC beware of using _root to refererence movie clips and instances in your file. Use this. and _parent instead.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

• 5. Re: Import table of contents Captivate 3
                  person1w2009 Level 1

Thanks to both of you, you `ve been of great help so far. I think I have to decide right now wether I want to put some more extra effort into importing a flash TOC into CP3 or just choosing the probably more simple way of upgrading to CP4...

Again: Thanks a lot.