3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 10:33 AM by kglad

Text field not updating because it's on another frame?

Andymc7 Level 1

Yet again, I have another simple problem. I have an input text field and a movie clip that contains a dynamic text field. The dynamic text field updates when the user types. Simple enough. However, when I add a frame to my main timeline and cut/past my mc on it, the dynamic text field doesn't update.

Here is my simple .fla file showing what I'm trying to do. Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Text field not updating because it's on another frame?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you probably have a different movieclip instance on that frame where you pasted your movieclip or your movieclip doesn't exist at some point after the code is executed to update the textfield.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text field not updating because it's on another frame?
            Andymc7 Level 1

Wow!,.. thanks for the quick reply kglad...

My instance name for my MC is the same throughout. However, you're right, my mc doesn't exist on frame 1, where my input text is. I didn't realize that both text fields have to be on the same frame for them correspond with each other. So, what I tried was, in my first frame, I just said _root.MC._visible = false;, then said _root.MC._visible = true; in frame 2. Worked great! My text from frame 1 matches the text from frame 2. This is what I was looking for. So, you may have not answered my question directly, but what you said certainly got me on my way. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Text field not updating because it's on another frame?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're welcome.

2 points:

1.  objects having the same instance name doesn't make them the same instances to flash.

2.  objects don't have to exist on the same frame to communicate.  but you can't reference a non-existant objects and expect flash to handle that.

1 person found this helpful