10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 3:18 PM by PrepressPro1

ai to dwg or dxf

kmetcalf Level 1

Hi,

I've been trying for a while to find a way to export our company logo to a file that our engineers can use in autocad or solidworks (without bastardizing the logo).  Nothing I've tried out of illustrator has worked.  I'm told that I should output the files to autocad 2002, but haven't had success.  I've attached the ai of the logo, please help!  Do I need an add in for illustrator?  Do my engineers need an add in for their software?

Should I be outputting the file out of another program? (I have the CS4 suite).

I appreciate any and all help.

• 1. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried File>Export and select DXF from the pull down menu at the bottom of the save dialog box. DXF is the autocad interchange format. If this file doesn't work for the autocad try the DWG format which is the drawing format standard.

• 2. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
            kmetcalf Level 1

Yes, I've tried most of Illustrator's export options for both dwg and dxf.

• 3. Re: ai to dwg or dxf

And…?

• 4. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
                kmetcalf Level 1

As I mentioned, nothing I've tried out of Illustrator has worked.  Now I'm researching other options - such as different file formats to export out of and add-ins - to see if anyone else has had success with similar attempts.

• 5. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

“Does’t work” is not a lot of information to go on. When you have a problem, tell us what you are doing, what you expected, what you got instead.

• 6. Re: ai to dwg or dxf

I was just about to ask for a description of the "Bastardization" and what is occurring when attempts to open in CAD.

• 7. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
                      kmetcalf Level 1

Sorry,

Ok.  What I WANT is for the logo to look JUST LIKE IT DOES in the ai file.  Exactly, no variance. Whatsoever.

What I've gotten with various (potentially ALL) settings I've chosen in the dxf/dwg dialogue box are "skewed, squished, distorted" (per the two engineers I'm working with) logos.  It also looks like it converts the entire thing to outlines, takes out color and seems to try to replace fonts (even though they're saved to outlines.)  My engineers then try to recreate the log manually in solidworks and the result is not pretty.

I'd be content at this point, to have a solid (1 color - black) logo (hoping the engineers would be able to make the top portion 100% cyan).

I'd really like them to be able to import the logo and require no editing (I'm trying for logo/branding purity here).

Does that help?

• 8. Re: ai to dwg or dxf

I'm able to round trip the file. All the vectors and colors are retained. No squishing or distortion of any kind although the original vectors are a little wonkie. I will attach my dxf file if you want to try to open it in a CAD program to see if this makes any difference. At least we can see if the same things occur with output from another machine. I'm using CS3 for this test.

• 9. Re: ai to dwg or dxf
                          kmetcalf Level 1

What version of Autocad are you using?  My engineer who is using 2002 says he can't open the file - he's getting an error message and then it says "discarding file"

• 10. Re: ai to dwg or dxf

Have the Eng. working in CAD check for patches for the CAD program he is working in. The issue may not be with the illustrator file being exported. My die maker gets my files and has no issue with CAD. Don't know what version he uses.